PDA

View Full Version : Clogged sink? Any tips.

ekguy
12-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Well was draining slow but now it's not at all.

Rather than call someone on christmas or wait is there anything I can do to fix this?

lilmira
12-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Find some draino?

Not sure if T&T has it or you can wait till tomorrow when everything is open.

dj_rice
12-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Get a plunger and plunge it. Or, pour a few litres of boiling hot water down.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Plunger.

brucebanner
12-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Kitchen or bathroom? Either way you should be able to take off the drain off of the first U-bend underneath the sink. Take that off and clean out anything that is in there. That should help and if not you'll know the problem is further in the system.

frozenrice
12-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I bought a plumber's snake from princess auto for under $10 and use that when I have troubles.

D'z Nutz
12-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Drain snake.

ekguy
12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
So far as per youtube and google I've tried baking soda and vinegar. Tried boiling water. Now I'm trying Drano. Already plunged some stuff out.

And it's kitchen sink, pvc.

Unknown303
12-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Have you been making "Deposits" in the Kitchen sink, that stuff can sure clog a drain so I've heard...

brucebanner
12-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
So far as per youtube and google I've tried baking soda and vinegar. Tried boiling water. Now I'm trying Drano. Already plunged some stuff out.

And it's kitchen sink, pvc.

Disconnect the drain or if one doesn't exist there, you'll be able to disconnect the piece coming from the sink running into the main line that runs into the main piping system. It's easy stuff, might even be able to do it by hand. If not, a pair of adjusting pliers will do the trick. Likely to solve your problem, much better then drain-o or something similar.

95EG6P
12-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Drain snake and then pour draino works for me

ExtraSlow
12-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Open it up under the sink. chances are that's your trouble spot.

If the trouble is further down the line, pipe snake is a good method, or hit the chemicals.

Thaco
12-25-2011, 11:09 PM
plunger works fine, just make sure if it's a double sink you use a plug in the side your not plunging and hold it well or you'll get a shower.

ekguy
12-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Have you been making "Deposits" in the Kitchen sink, that stuff can sure clog a drain so I've heard...

i've been dumping ashes in there, and i have on one or two separate occasions poured bacon grease down there which is a no no.

But honestly it was pretty bad when i moved in already. Plunger, vinegar/baking soda, boiling water and drano have all not worked...

So going to have to go to princess auto and get a drain snake.

Anyone know the closest to Marda Loop?

Cos
12-26-2011, 12:13 PM

sillysod
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Listen to Bruceod.... I will bet you that something is just stuck in the P-trap.

http://media.wiley.com/Lux/06/290606.image0.jpg

http://www.squid.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pipe.jpg

ekguy
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
What tools do i need and can i just replace all that piping easily?

sillysod
12-26-2011, 02:35 PM
you may be able to loosen the nut by hand, lots of times they aren't on very tight. There are 2 nuts, one on each side of the "P".

You do not need to take the nut off the base of the sink, that can stay.

the nut on both sides of the trap in the picture below will show you.

http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgConst/en51135a0017.gif

worst case scenario if its on there good you will need a pair of channel lock or slip-lock pliers.

http://zo-d.com/stuff/images/channel-lock-pliers-s.jpg

ExtraSlow
12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
if you don't have the channel lock pliers, a strap wrench will often work, or a chain wrench. This fitting is usually only hand tight.

once that piece is out, you don't need to replace it, just clean it out and re-install.

ekguy
12-26-2011, 03:40 PM
May i add, I'm talking like maybe 2 cigs worth of ashes nothing more. I'm pretty livid right now as i haven't been able to wash dishes in 3 days and they are piling up.

Is a clogged sink the tenant's responsibility when it's clearly been an existing issue considering i moved in less than a month ago?

ekguy
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok so I took off the p pipe or whatever. It was only hand tight and it's definitely hand tight and also clear as can be.

So I'm at a loss here. I have called my landlord countless times and no answer, called plumbers and I'm definitely not paying what they want to fix this as it clearly was a problem before. Few cigarette's worth of ash and bacon grease once or twice will not have caused this this quick.

I am at a loss here. Water is no longer even flowing a bit through the sink at all. I've had a half foot of stanky water in there for the last day and a half and I've plunged the living shit out of it for the last couple hours and still nothing.

Go4Long
12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
so you took the pipe apart and there was nothing in the pipe either?

Is it a double sink? may seem like a stupid statement, but you do know you have to plug the drain on the other sink if it's a double sink when you're plunging right?

in terms of getting your landlord to fix a clogged drain, if it was draining before and isn't now, you're gonna be SOL on that one in my opinion. But you could always look through the landlord tenant act to see if you can strike gold.

http://www.landlordandtenant.org/splash.aspx

ekguy
12-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Finally she got back to me. She is sending a plumber tomorrow. I was pissed. I've spent a lot of time and some small bits of money on this. Just enough to piss me off though with the fact i have a friend coming in for a couple days to visit.

I was like fuck I gotta be able to clean my dishes before she gets here. :rolleyes:

But she's sending a plumber tomorrow. no way in hell i could have clogged it that much in this amount of time.

basically it was horrible in the first place and went from sorta working to just not at all in the period of one day.

rob the knob
12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
the plug up could be farther down the line so you may not be able to reach it with a short snake.
could be venting problems too if stack is plugged.

ekguy
12-26-2011, 06:54 PM
yeah plumber coming in tomorrow as per landlord.

ekguy
12-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Tried everything else possible and spent more than enough time and money on something I should have left in the first place.

Khyron
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Depends - sometimes it's a clog you can fix with a snake, other times it's a tree root that's come into the pipe and needs to be drilled out. No harm in trying yourself.

Mine was a clusterfuk because the PO ran another line to the basement (totally not code, 2 vents and a bunch of other crap under my sink - no "removable" trap it was all glued.. I paid Pete the Plumber to cut it all out and redo it right, took an hour.

I will also confess to getting a 2nd sink shower whilst using the plunger on the first, as noted above. :p

sillysod
12-27-2011, 10:32 AM
99% of the time it's just the "P"trap, sounds like something else is going on.

If it was a tree root or something else nothing in your flat would drain properly. Something is lodged in the pipe.

2 cigarettes and some bacon grease is not going to plug the sink. Plumber with a snake will be able to get it sorted out for you.

sillysod
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
So what happened?

ercchry
12-28-2011, 10:01 AM
probably too late now... but you have to block off the dishwasher line too or plunging wouldnt do shit :nut:

brucebanner
12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah, what was it? I'm curious as well.

I'm surprised it's not the p trap. I had to clean mine out a couple years ago in a place I used to rent, I was surprised about what I found it there(screwdriver bits, straws and other random items).

ekguy
12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Wasn't the p trap. I took that out and it was perfect, almost new.

Was a solid clog of random shit i guess. Took the plumber almost a solid hour to get it unclogged. Never really bothered to ask what it was. He thought it was a collapsed pipe for a bit. But ends up just really REALLY clogged. No way in hell i could of fixed it myself seeing the trouble he went through for it.

Porsche_55
01-02-2012, 12:51 PM
draino

speedog
01-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Draino is not the magic solve-it-all thing some people think it is. Our bathroom sink had been draining slower and slower and repeated applications of Draino and other such products only temporarily improved the flow situation. Took it all apart this past week and it was just an accmulation of 25+ years of gunk in a one foot long section of hoizontal pipe - yeah, it was sloped but the crud still built up over the years. Cleaned the crud out and the flow from that sink is amazing now - literally sucks the air from the room.