PDA

View Full Version : New Snowboard Suggestions?

liquid1010
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Any suggestions for a new board?

I want a good free-ride all mountain board. I spend most of my time free-riding, and very little time in the park. I want something a little wider (size 10 feet) that's directional - but can be used in a park if needed (med flex).

I've been riding the same Burton Custom since 2001, but am now looking at a Yes - Big City, or a Yes - Basic.

Anyone have any other suggestions on a good board?

HomespunLobster
12-28-2011, 01:06 AM
I'd recommend going out on demo days at hills and trying different boards. That's how I pre-test all my skis and boards before I buy them.

gogreen
01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I ride a 2009 Burton Supermodel and it sounds like your riding style is very similar to mine. Unfortunately the Supermodel has been discontinued this year, but Burton has a new board called the Barracuda that appears to replace both it and the also-discontinued Malolo.

I ride just about everything including powder, steeps, glades, moguls, chopped-up crud, and groomers, and the Supermodel handles it all (I rarely venture into the park so can't really comment on that aspect). I would say that if the Barracuda is at all similar (and it appears to be intended to fill that niche) then it may be worth checking out. It's directional with a medium flex and the width of the 157 appears sufficient for a size 10 boot.

SOAB
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
i ride a Lib Tech TRS 158 and i have to say that it's the best board i've ever ridden. handles anything i can throw at it. carves well, can handle fast speeds and light enough to get decent air (not that i'm anything like Travis Rice).

about $650 or so but worth every penny.

austic
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Get a custom x, I had a custom for 7 years and replaced it with the X. Great board, really responsive, but you pay for it.

almerick
01-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I really loved my Never Summer board, awesome brand but quite expensive

mazdavirgin
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Buy a board out of season and something featured in the 2012 good wood. Don't buy into all the hype over lib tech and their "banana" it is no different from any other reverse camber board.

At the end of the day it's the skill of the rider not the board that makes the difference. The worst burton board on JP walkers feet would still leave him a far better rider than any of us on a 1000$ board.

liquid1010
01-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - I ended up going with a 2011 Ride Antic.