PDA

View Full Version : What insurance company?

FraserB
12-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Its time for me to get off my parents insurance and get my own.

What company is everyone using and how easy are they to deal with?

I have PM'd Masked Bandit since everyone seems to have good experiences with him.

Cos
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM

2000TL
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Guessboi does insurance.

Cos
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM

ExtraSlow
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Meloche Monnex and they've been easy to deal with for home and auto.

Dave P
12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
There are a few people on here who work for insurance companies. and a few that are brokers. there is a difference

From my own personal experience. MB is the way to go. Legit broker right there.

Now only if he would write commercial business........... haha

Abeo
12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Meloche Monnex and they've been easy to deal with for home and auto.

They had been hit and miss for me, sometimes I get someone really helpful, sometimes someone really useless (or worse, flat out wrong).

Switched to MB, saved 30%. No tickets or claims, either... so I don't see why MM charges so much.

J-hop
12-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

They had been hit and miss for me, sometimes I get someone really helpful, sometimes someone really useless (or worse, flat out wrong).

Switched to MB, saved 30%. No tickets or claims, either... so I don't see why MM charges so much.

yea MM kind of pissed me off when my car got hit in a parking lot. They had been calling me once a week trying to get a statement from me but since they called during work/training hours I wasn't able to answer. I would call this person back almost every day to leave a statement during the hours they told me to call but no matter how many times I would call they wouldn't answer. Twice I left statements on their answering machine because I was fed up with playing telephone tag and they said this wouldn't suffice (fair enough). So finally I just called the general number and spoke with the first adjuster that picked up and I was told "sorry I can't discuss the claim with you because you are not the primary policy holder". After about 10 minutes of explaining to this person that the car was about to go into the shop after a long wait for an appointment so I needed their go ahead and the fact that the primary policy holder was not in the vehicle at the time so it wouldn't matter what statement the policy holder could give the adjuster (not to mention they had been trying to contact me about a statement) the adjuster finally ended up agreeing to take my statement.......

By the end of it, it was about a month of telephone tag trying to get a hold of this person. To twist the knife the guy that hit me decided to go outside insurance because he was found 100% at fault. So I didn't even get the satisfaction of knowing this senial driver would have increased rates after blasting through a parking lot between parked cars and hitting the side of my stopped vehicle :(

max_boost
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Statefarm here. Probably more expensive than the others but fantastic service for auto and home insurance claims. Great to deal with.

dj_rice
12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm with Melonche Monnex. Great price compared to every other company by far and very fast claims process. Got into an accident on Friday. Car in the shop Monday for repairs.

Another suggestion is guessboi, he owns 1 Up Insurance I believe. Many members have great rates with him

2000TL
12-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Does he own the company? Maybe it is him I am thinking of. yes he owns his own company. I switched from ama to his and I saved quite a bit.

Cos
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM

guessboi
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
There are a few people on here who work for insurance companies. and a few that are brokers. there is a difference

From my own personal experience. MB is the way to go. Legit broker right there.

Now only if he would write commercial business........... haha

MB doesn't write commercial business? I know he can but probably not his expertise. We know each other btw. :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
12-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I used to be with TD Meloche Monnex. They're pretty damn good, but you have to shop around to see what everybody else is offering.
I had a (shared fault) accident when I was with them when I was 17, and went through hell with all the bureaucracy and hoops I had to jump through, only to not get a payout thanks to some fine print.

Im with Statefarm now, and generally quite happy. I pay a bit less then $600/year full coverage, $100 deductable.
No fine print with them which is quite a relief.

I'd say Masked Bandit is pretty damn good. He gave me a very reasonable quote a number of times.

Weapon_R
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Guessboi saved me insane amounts of money on my policy. Help a fellow beyonder out and get super service!

Masked Bandit
12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Hey Boys!

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, I just opened my own brokerage in March but I've been in the business for a little over 12 years now. We can write all kinds of insurance but we specialize in home, auto, motorcycle & RV.

Once upon a time Meloche Monnex would kick the hell out of every other insurance company on pricing but something has shifted and I don't know what. For the last year or so we've been working with a couple of the biggest insurance companies in Canada and we've been beating up on old MM pretty bad. It's a nice change of pace from my side of the desk.

Now I've been posting on the site for a long time (since 2005) and I've never solicited business. I provide the best advice I can when the situation comes up. Well, I finally took the plunge and earlier this week I spent my money with Beyond and I'm just waiting for Rage to post up my advertising banner. I'm now an official site sponsor.

So to all of you on the board whom I've dealt with over the years, thank you very much for the continued support. If it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't have been able to open my own shop.

Cheers!
Bill