PDA

View Full Version : Gyms in u of c area?

lasimmon
12-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey guys. I'm moving to Calgary for work tomorrow. I'm living in the area by the u of c. Any gyms in this area that are reasonably priced?

Kobe
12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
UofC itself has a gym but it kind of sucks..

There is tons of gyms in Calgary, you will not have a problem finding one.

chathamf
12-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Around there you got Golds Gym, YMCA, World Health Club, lots of other ones pretty nearby too.

YMCA is a decent price and pretty easy bunch to deal with. Golds will try to lock you in forever and good luck getting rid of them once you sign up.

I went to both of those and I liked Golds better but I had no problem with YMCA really either. What kind of stuff do you like to do at the gym? That could help you decide.

Affinityion
12-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Mount Royal isn't too far off either? I hear its pretty decent

J-hop
12-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Golds northland, world health club edgemont, and world health north hill are probably your closest gyms.

Kobe
12-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Affinityion
Mount Royal isn't too far off either? I hear its pretty decent

Depending on traffic could be 15minutes to 1hr? Depends how close you are to crowchild trail.

But It is def a lot nicer then the UofC gym

mr2mike
01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Not sure what some of you are saying that UofC gym sucks. Its pretty good if you compare others in the area.

My recommendation:
MRU - But could be too far to drive.
UofC - Comparable to MRU, great facilities downside is parking and having to walk 5+ min to get inside a building when it's -30 out. Its quiet in evening and afternoons.

World Health @North Hill Mall is a dump & needs renos.
Gold's @ Northland Mall - Friend loves it there and thinks is better than YMCA based on getting equipment and the age of users.
25+ ages.
YMCA is young family oriented.

KRyn
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Not sure what some of you are saying that UofC gym sucks. Its pretty good if you compare others in the area.

My recommendation:
MRU - But could be too far to drive.
UofC - Comparable to MRU, great facilities downside is parking and having to walk 5+ min to get inside a building when it's -30 out. Its quiet in evening and afternoons.

World Health @North Hill Mall is a dump & needs renos.
Gold's @ Northland Mall - Friend loves it there and thinks is better than YMCA based on getting equipment and the age of users.
25+ ages.
YMCA is young family oriented.

MRU is a much superior gym to the UofC if you are serious about your lifting. That said, OP if all you care about is going to do some curls and benchpress then the UofC will be fine for you. Plus they have some nice eye candy.

dandia89
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
u of c and mount royal are the only gyms ive been to that don't butt rape you on contracts and other bullshit, and the gyms are good.