PDA

View Full Version : Irons

cidley69
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Where's the best place to buy a new iron? What features should it have, and how much should it cost?

Does anyone iron there own clothes, or mostly use drycleaners?

Pacman
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I always iron my dress shirts, as the drycleaners tend to shrink them.

I've had great luck with the Phillips irons that can be bought at Costco.

Kritafo
01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
by a clothing steamer, you will never use an iron again. Most come with a pant crease attachment and a lint remover.

Sugarphreak
01-02-2012, 12:54 PM

baygirl
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
by a clothing steamer, you will never use an iron again. Most come with a pant crease attachment and a lint remover.
+1
Clothing steamers are so much easier to use.

JfuckinC
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Where do you buy clothes steamers? my friend said he got one and it sucked...

Kritafo
01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Walmart has the Tobi, I know Costco had them last week it was one of the traveling show versions. Costca online has a couple. I used to iron everything I will never go back now that I have a steamer. I however still use it with my ironing board for the most part. I can't crease things as well when they are just hanging. I have ruined dark pants with shiny marks never again.

phreezee
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I eBayed a Jiffy 2000M and the metal steam head can be used as an iron when needed. It's great for dress shirts and is a real time saver.

RY213
01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
The Tobi steamer has some pretty bad reviews online. Im interested in getting a steamer, but are they really a legitimate substitute for ironing?

max_boost
01-03-2012, 12:03 AM
No.

My Tobi steamer cost me $100 and it's supposed to be amazing.

Maybe I'm too stupid to use a steamer but I think it sucks. Iron FTW.

guessboi
01-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I got my steamer at the home show. not sure what it is called but it works very well! Yes some steamer sucks though.

:D

mo_money2supe
01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I have a steamer and although it's great and quick for everyday use, I find there really is no substitute for a nicely pressed dress shirt. The steamer will eliminate wrinkles but my shirts just don't look the same as when its ironed.

nismodrifter
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
I have a steamer and although it's great and quick for everyday use, I find there really is no substitute for a nicely pressed dress shirt. The steamer will eliminate wrinkles but my shirts just don't look the same as when its ironed.

This. Gotta use dat dere iron.

phreezee
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Tobi's do suck. Like I said, my steamer doubles as an iron. The metal head does great pant creases.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/prodimg/jiffy/j4000i/pic01-lg.jpg

bcylau
01-03-2012, 10:12 PM
for irons and steamers .... jiffy or reliable , but reliable is cheaper

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/

great commercial quality irons and steamers plus free shipping in canada.

make sure to get the iron head for the steamer, you will get less shining / glossing, saves your wool suit and pants.

tobi's and other cheaper units use too much plastic and will crack due to the heat aging the plastic quickly.

for the irons, make sure it produces enough steam so you dont need to spray the item with extra water, as that will burn the fibers a bit. I have the v50 and on high setting it will iron jeans left in the dryer for a few days.

cidley69
01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I've never even heard of Reliable.

I bought a T-Fal Easy cord Ultraglide from Sears yesterday for $80. If the Reliable is really that much better, I'd rather pay the extra $20 and get the V50 from them.

Anyone else tried the Reliable irons?

a social dsease
01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Value Village, you can get a decent iron for <$10.

Str1der
01-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Unless of course you value your expensive suits, in which case you'll never use a steamer. Steamers are also worthless for achieving crisp looking dress shirts.

phreezee
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bcylau
for irons and steamers .... jiffy or reliable , but reliable is cheaper

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/

great commercial quality irons and steamers plus free shipping in canada.

make sure to get the iron head for the steamer, you will get less shining / glossing, saves your wool suit and pants.

This unit looks great, I probably would have ordered that if I had known about it lol.

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/s.nl?sc=2&category=62916&it=A&id=30874&fromsla=T&whence=

Thanks for the heads up.