PDA

View Full Version : Telus Mobility US text add-on

clem24
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I just did an add-on for Telus Mobility texting in the US. I did the math for the different plans for anyone who wants to know. Each text sent and received will cost you. And no your plan does not cover texting while in the US.

No add-on plan: 60c per text. Good if you plan on sending or receiving up to about 35 combined. But think of it as 17 messages practically speaking.

$10 add-on: 30c per text. Good if you plan on sending or receiving up to 100 texts.

$20 add-on: 20c per text. RIP OFF. This plan costs more than the $10 plan up to 100, and after that, the unlimited plan is better. Do not get this plan.

$40 add-on: "free" unlimited text. Good for 100 or more.

Of course the best plan is to bring an unlocked phone down there if you have one (and I didn't at the time), and use a US SIM card. My friend I think bought one for T-Mobile for $7 off eBay, had it setup, and going on a pay as you go plan with unlimited US wide (I think) voice/data/text for $3/day.

TomcoPDR
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Of course the best plan is to bring an unlocked phone down there if you have one (and I didn't at the time), and use a US SIM card. My friend I think bought one for T-Mobile for $7 off eBay, had it setup, and going on a pay as you go plan with unlimited US wide (I think) voice/data/text for $3/day.

This is your best option, my cousin let me use her shitty phone while I was in the US... AT&T offers a $2/day unlimited texting, calling nation wide. This was just Oct, 2011

Mind you sucks not having your own number and all.

Toma
01-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Or, switch to Wind.

Pay $10 extra when you go down there, and then your tests are 0.10 cents per message out going, and your calls are 0.16 cents minute all inclusive (roaming, and call),
and data is $1 per megabyte.

Stadard prices without the add on are 0.25 per minute, 0.15 per text and $1 per 250kb.

phreezee
01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Or, switch to Wind.

Pay $10 extra when you go down there, and then your tests are 0.10 cents per message out going, and your calls are 0.16 cents minute all inclusive (roaming, and call),
and data is $1 per megabyte.

Stadard prices without the add on are 0.25 per minute, 0.15 per text and $1 per 250kb.

Didn't know this, thanks!

Can it span 2 months, as in pay $10 for X consecutive days?

Toma
01-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Didn't know this, thanks!

Can it span 2 months, as in pay $10 for X consecutive days?
I don't know. My understanding is it's a monthly fee, so I would ASS-u-me that it would cover you for 1 month from the time you activate, but it could also end up being per billing cycle.

I put it on when I go down, and take it off when I return.... and honestly, my bills are so cheap now with Wind, I never look at them.

autosm
01-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Wind rocks, my roaming phone bill for a week in the USA was 60$. 300+ min of calls plus lots of text. No Data but 10$ add on.

Only problem was text messages to US phones were numbers only, dont know why?

raceman6135
01-04-2012, 05:02 PM
OP, where are you getting your prices from?

On this page:
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/mobile_messaging/messagingpackages.shtml

you can get 200 texts (text, picture and video) per month for $5. Unlimited texting to/from/within Canada and the US is $15 per month.

Premium messages are extra.

If you need Caller ID and Voice Mail 10, go with a Package 15 from here:
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/mobile_packages/phonepackages.shtml

For $15 per month, you get unlimited text/picture/video messaging within Canada and the US, plus CLID and VM10.

I'm with TELUS and have a feature bundle, and have traveled to the States a lot and never incurred any additional fees related to text/picture/video messaging.

Supa Dexta
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Bump - Can I text a US phone from Canada? Or is there a charge - I'm on telus.

msommers
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
What about a data plan of some sort and use Whatsapp? It uses very little data too.