PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre build suggestion?

scoobymiata
01-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi guys.

Looking to get some help here.

I want to build a 5.1 system in my living room and of course I am trying to take advantage of the almost "ending" boxing week sales on best buy too.

came across this speaker Infinity Primus Series 5.1 Speaker Package. Just wondering if anyone here has used this before and their opinion.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9002776.aspx?path=09b1c581cda780f4afbe82011311fe8cen02

p.s. I haven't pick out a reviver yet so i am open to suggestion.

thanks much guys.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
IMO that isn't a good setup. You could get a lot more for your money, especially considering big box stores are not where you want to be buying speakers.

For example that sub is 8" and is 150W RMS. That is EXTREMELY weak, especially for home theater duty.

The center is pretty weak as well...and your sub & center do 90% or more of the work during a movie.

Pretty much the same question was asked here, and should answer most of your questions:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/345004/home-theater-options-question/

Basically, the best solution is to spend a little bit more to get a LOT more, unless you are on an extremely tight budget, or just don't care.

scoobymiata
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
thanks much for the reply mitsu3000gt

question on the receiver watt. if my 2 tower uses say 300 watts (150 each) center is 100 watt, rear is 200 watts (for 2 - 100 watt each) and sub is 200watts (numbers are just random) so my receiver watt should be 800 watts and above then right?

thanks

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by scoobymiata
thanks much for the reply mitsu3000gt

question on the receiver watt. if my 2 tower uses say 300 watts (150 each) center is 100 watt, rear is 200 watts (for 2 - 100 watt each) and sub is 200watts (numbers are just random) so my receiver watt should be 800 watts and above then right?

thanks

You don't need to match your receiver wattage to the speaker's maximum advertised peak power handling. Headroom is good, of course, but it's unlikely you will ever be sending much more than 1/2 or even 3/4 max power to your speakers if you value your hearing. Also, all speakers aren't created equal, and some are more efficient than others with what they do with power. Any decent mid-range receiver these days (Various models like Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, etc.) will run anything you're likely to buy just fine unless you get into some pretty high end stuff. Anything with around 100-150W per channel will be just fine, assuming regular use. Different receiver companies measure their wattage differently, though. For example, Yamaha measures one channel at a time, and the power drops considerably when you have a 5-7 channels running. Pioneer Elite, some Denon's, and Onkyo are better known for measuring their power with all channels running so you get more of an actual power figure.

Your sub will be self powered, and plugs into a sub pre-out section on the receiver, so you do not need to worry about powering a sub. It will simply receive a signal from your receiver. I don't know of any receivers powerful enough to drive a decent sub (many good subs are well over 1,000W RMS), so pretty well any sub worth buying are self powered. I think you'd have a hard time finding one that wasn't. If there is one area with the speakers you don't want to cheap out on, it's the sub. Most people's subs are too small for the rooms they're in, and get overworked. Overworked subs sound very bad, and subs do a massive amount of the work during TV/Movies.