View Full Version : How to identify what type of bottom bracket I have.

01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Just upgraded my chain and I figured I'd go buy a new/better bottom bracket since mine is being incredibly noisy.

But when I went to go buy one I had no idea whatsoever what type I have.

In any case I have a 2009 devinci ollie.

I would like to buy new cranks and bb in the next couple weeks. Have a couple other parts coming in but I'm getting impatient just looking at my bike sitting there so why not upgrade/fix those weak points on my bike.

01-04-2012, 02:22 AM
It's dependent on what cranks you have. I did a quick google search and if it's stocked with the Truvativ Ruktion cranks then you'll need the Truvativ Howitzer BB.
That being said, if you're in the market for new cranks then buy them at the same time.

01-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Its dependent on what your framw will allow for and what crank you have/ are getting.

Replace the chain, then buy a BB, the noise may be your stretched chain. But what cranks do you have? I don't know what the ollie is off hand, but there's a ton in variation.
Ceramic bearings or steel (ceramic is 4x more money usually $200 v. $50). But last longer and roll nicer.
PM me if you want and ill help work something out for you if I can.

01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Usually its not the BB itself thats noisy but the cranks themselves creak and groan an the BB mounts at each pedal stroke.

Is this what youre describing?

a social dsease
01-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I'd bet anything you need a 68/73mm bb, you can measure it with a tape measure to confirm. Diameter is standard, don't have to worry about that. Go to pinkbike.com -> buy/sell, you can probably find a decent bb/crank combo for <$100.

01-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah its the truvativ ruktion cranks. And yes constant noise when pedalling. Im sure my bb is probably caked with mud and dirt. I had quite a few extremely muddy rides over the summer.

01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Like said previous, try servicing your crank lightly before going for a new BB.
But, just for you, in the red is what you are looking for, but you need a measurement first.
If you need more info, shoot me a PM.