PDA

View Full Version : anyone here have a sodastream?

awolxxx
01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
So, the wife got me a sodastream for Christmas as I don't like drinking water (and she wants me to drink more). If it's bubbly then I'll drink it or if it has a little flavour I'll drink it. I'm really liking the sodastream and by making my water bubbly and adding a few drops of the fruit flavouring I am already drinking a lot more. Now, I'm all for saving the environment by not buying any more perrier's and all that but I was looking into the costs of getting new CO2 cartridges for the thing and it is a complete rip off! Sodastream has a wonderful scam going on with this device by forcing their customers on their "CO2 exchange" program...

Does anyone here have a sodastream and if you do, do you refill your own CO2 or know how/where to get them refilled?

And yes, I have tried googling it and seen all the "do it yourself" video's, but I'm to lazy to do what I've seen...I'd rather pay someone local who has already done the work than sodastream.

Thanks!

roopi
01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Try calling Praxair?

'93 SR-V
01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow, that's expensive! I'd say check out these guys.

http://co2doctor.com/productselector.htm

Because those soda stream tanks have kind of odd threads on them you would have two options

1) Buy a fill station and buy/rent a siphon CO2 tank from a place like praxair to fill your tank yourself.

2) Buy an adapter kit that allows you to hook up a different CO2 tank such as the ones used on paintball guns.

Option 2 is probably your best bet. You will be on the hook for a new CO2 tank ($40-60) and the cost of the adapter kit but then you can just take it to a paintball field (e.g. rampage paintball) and have it filled for closer to $5.

Option 1 would be less hassle once you get it set up but keep in mind renting a 20LB tank from a place like praxair is maybe an extra $10-15/month so you might not save that much in the end, plus you should really have a scale to weigh your bottles.

lilmira
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Drinking carbonated water all day can't be good for you. Your dentist is gonna like you.

sputnik
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Drinking carbonated water all day can't be good for you. Your dentist is gonna like you.

What's wrong with water with CO2 bubbles in it?

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

What's wrong with water with CO2 bubbles in it?

All the tiny little explosions from the bubbles popping will crater your tooth enamel. It'll look like a minefield in there by years end. Also, in the long term, increased exposure will have an irreversible affect on the internal temperature of your mouth. :eek:

But yes, on a serious note, as said below it is acidic. Not sure how much you would have to ingest to cause damage.....

lilmira
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Carbonated drinks are acidic if I'm not mistaken.

awolxxx
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Orange juice is more acidic than carbonated drinks. If I was bathing my teeth in carbonated water all day, then yes, the carbonic acid would eat away my enamel. The times I'm not drinking, my saliva is repairing the damage (probably not as much as being stripped off by the acid, but so far my dentist hasn't made any comments).

'93 SR-V, I think you missed the part where I said I was lazy. ;) I would rather find someone in Calgary (prefer if it was in the NW) that has already done all the work (CO2doctor setup) and pay him/her some money to refill my tanks.

I have family in Moncton New Brunswick who has had a sodastream for over a year and they found someone local who refills their tanks for them for $5 a tank (I think they know the person so he probably gives them a deal).

CMW403
01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
You won't drink any liquid unless its got little fizzy bubbles in it? This is the kind of shit that makes me wonder how man made it this far.

zipdoa
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
You won't drink any liquid unless its got little fizzy bubbles in it? This is the kind of shit that makes me wonder how man made it this far.

:rofl:

OP, is this how you expect your dinner?

6Ay0p2ub0AU

J-hop
01-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Carbonated drinks are acidic if I'm not mistaken.

yup!

C02 +H20= H2CO3 (carbonic acid which is pretty corrosive)

That aside though, I have started buying carbonated water, it fills you up and is WAY better than pop. But this doesn't replace regular water in my diet, I still drink 4+ liters a day to keep from packing on water weight.

OP not that this is related to your question at all but to kind of echo what other people are saying you are probably chronically dehydrated and should try as hard as you can to introduce some water into your day haha.

Back to regular programming...

phreezee
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
This seems like a lot of work, but not buying 8g chargers for a soda syphon pays off when you only refill 20lbs tanks http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Soda-Water-%26-Home-Carbonation---Pays-For-Itsel/

If I wasn't lazy I'd try this myself.

grampafunk
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
balls up and drink water.

phreezee
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Damn, OP just cost me $130 LOL.

Ended up ordering this http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=247

Just recharge the tank at your local welding shop.

TurboMedic
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't find I go thru that many CO2 cannisters to be bothered by spending the $20 for exchange. I have 2 on hand, and those last me months. It would be nice if they hadn't gotten rid of the 110L capacity ones for the 60L variety

phreezee
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Long story short, KegConnection denied my promo code for free shipping so I cancelled my order.

Now I'm determined to make my own. Today I went to Canadian Tire and bought some tubeless valve for $4.89. I drilled holes into some Coke bottle caps and pressed the valves in. Put in some cold tap water, tightened the caps and used my air compressor to pressurize the bottle, shook it and it worked like a charm. Of course it didn't work as well as with pure CO2, but it served as a proof of concept before I buy the expensive tank and regulator.

Spoons
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Fucking first world problems man.

I don't like drinking water (you know, not like it's the life blood of existance or anything) so I make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad.

I drink a lot of coffee at work (maybe 3 cups in the day) but fuck do I pound back water. Water is delicious, no clue why you need it carbonated.

TurboMedic
01-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

I don't like drinking water (you know, not like it's the life blood of existance or anything) so I make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad.

I drink a lot of coffee at work (maybe 3 cups in the day) but fuck do I pound back water. Water is delicious, no clue why you need it carbonated.

You're amazing

Mibz
01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
make it carbonated... In which I turn something that is good for me bad. While I completely agree with the sentiment of your post, this sentence deserves a [citation needed].

awolxxx
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people are worried about my health. :love:

spike98
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Long story short, KegConnection denied my promo code for free shipping so I cancelled my order.

Now I'm determined to make my own. Today I went to Canadian Tire and bought some tubeless valve for $4.89. I drilled holes into some Coke bottle caps and pressed the valves in. Put in some cold tap water, tightened the caps and used my air compressor to pressurize the bottle, shook it and it worked like a charm. Of course it didn't work as well as with pure CO2, but it served as a proof of concept before I buy the expensive tank and regulator.

You used your air compressor...to carbonate something you will put in your body....

I hope to fuck your compressor is oiless and has a very healthy air drying system before you start drinking it.

lilmira
01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Haha, I was gonna say, that's one funky tasting drink.

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
FYI we were able to get a contract with coca cola to get legit coca cola syrup to mix. If you want some let me know. They sell it in large quantities.

spike98
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Haha, I was gonna say, that's one funky tasting drink.

Derail.....Is that your pup in your avitar? That looks EXACTLY like my shiba haha

lilmira
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Derail.....Is that your pup in your avitar? That looks EXACTLY like my shiba haha

Yep, that's my boy, all 35lb of trouble making lol.

Now back to funky tasting drink.

hurrdurr
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by pea_soup
FYI we were able to get a contract with coca cola to get legit coca cola syrup to mix. If you want some let me know. They sell it in large quantities.

Do you get them in the Bag in a Box?

Coke Zero? Sprite Zero?

How Many L, and how much?

Spoons
01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by awolxxx
Wow, I didn't realize so many people are worried about my health. :love:

Not worried about your health... More or less disappointed in the stupidity that seems to plague our society now a days. Your wife wants you to drink more water because she wants you to be more healthy, and yet you still manage to take it and still make it bad for you. If you can't see the stupidity in that, all hope is lost.

Next thing you know we're gonna have electrolyte-filled sports drink coming out of our water fountains...

Abeo
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM

Next thing you know we're gonna have electrolyte-filled sports drink coming out of our water fountains...

http://essenceoferlenmeyer.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/brawndo01.gif

awolxxx
01-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

http://essenceoferlenmeyer.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/brawndo01.gif

It's good for plants! It's got electrolytes!

bignerd
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

I think water tastes like shit. And don't tell me it tastes like "nothing". If a type of food tasted like "nothing" nobody would eat it. So yes, I like bubbles, and preferably sugar added to mine. Bet I can count the number of glasses of water I drink in a month on one hand.

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr

Do you get them in the Bag in a Box?

Coke Zero? Sprite Zero?

How Many L, and how much?

The boxes I get are rated for 100L. Yep its a bag in a box basically.

I can't post prices publicly. It's just way cheaper than buying bottles in store. I would say the savings are in the 50% to 60% range.

winson2001
01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I too dont drink water normally, but i do drink dasani bottled water...some how i feel like there some sort of taste to it. try that :)

J-hop
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

I think water tastes like shit. And don't tell me it tastes like "nothing". If a type of food tasted like "nothing" nobody would eat it. So yes, I like bubbles, and preferably sugar added to mine. Bet I can count the number of glasses of water I drink in a month on one hand.

That is sketchy, the first time you pass a kidney stone and are crying like a baby on floor of a washroom you'll probably think twice haha(no thankfully I've never been there!). I take it you probably don't spend much time at the gym? With the amount of water an active person has to drink you'd be dropping some serious coin if you are just drinking carbonated and flavored drinks. Maybe with a sedentary lifestyle you could get away with it.

Spoons
01-12-2012, 07:26 PM

:facepalm:

Man do I love arguing a point that is impossible to prove me wrong...

It's seems like I'm trying to argue with a Catholic that God doesn't exist...

Exactly what J-Hop said. I had a kidney stone when I was younger cause I didn't drink enough water. You'll start liking water damn quickly when you pass that mother fucker.

Vagabond142
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Exactly what J-Hop said. I had a kidney stone when I was younger cause I didn't drink enough water. You'll start liking water damn quickly when you pass that mother fucker.

I know this feeling very well. There is a DAMNED GOOD REASON I drink 3-4 liters of water per DAY.

Quick lesson kiddies: Imagine a texas steak, a full inch thick. Imagine a large pebble from your alleyway. Imagine that the steak is made up entirely of nerve endings, and pushing that pebble through the meat with a hydraulic press, and you get about 1/4 of the feeling of a kidney stone.

Drink water. You absolutely do NOT want to have a kidney stone.

phreezee
01-16-2012, 01:27 AM

I can't post prices publicly. It's just way cheaper than buying bottles in store. I would say the savings are in the 50% to 60% range.

PM me a price and hopefully I can resist since I'm actually trying to stop drinking pop and only using my new system for carbonating reverse osmosis filtered water.

I've got my locking tire chuck, 300psi hose, bottles, and 10lb co2 tank is on it's way. Got a used tank and regulator, just have to get the tank hydro tested and filled and I'm good to go. System will be <$50 all told.

phreezee
01-16-2012, 01:35 AM
For myself, sparkling water will have no health detriments and maybe even some health benefits:

Myths busted:
http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/about_5365577_harmful-effects-carbonated-water.html

Benefits: http://www.drbriffa.com/2005/01/23/sparkling-water/

Compared to the still mineral water, the drinking of sparkling water brought about significant reductions in the level of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (generally regarded as a risk factor for heart disease), as well as a significant increase in levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (generally taken to reduce heart disease risk). These and other biochemical changes induced by drinking sparkling water were estimated to reduce the women’s risk of developing heart disease over the next decade by about a third.

GTS4tw
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Benefits: http://www.drbriffa.com/2005/01/23/sparkling-water/

Did you read it all?

"More likely, the benefits of the water used in the study are related to its high mineral content compared to the still water it was tested against"

They didn't use the same water in both studies, and the sparkling drink used water that was much higher in sodium. He goes on to say in that article that it is likely the sodium content that caused the reduction in cholesterol levels:

"This throws up the possibility that the sparkling water’s relatively high sodium content might actually have played some part in its apparent ability to quell levels of unhealthy cholesterol."

I would want to see a real scientific test done, where the same plain water was carbonated. Otherwise its just some guy trying to sell books.

Mibz
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
I would want to see a real scientific test done, where the same plain water was carbonated. You'd get a very boring paper filled with things like "no significant difference", "claims are not plausible" and "concerns are unwarranted" and nobody wants to write an article about that.

phreezee
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
^^ yes, I realized this wasn't scientific at all, so I chose my wording carefully.

... maybe even some health benefits:

Mibz
01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately this is relatively average part of the internet where people will notice subtleties like that only when it allows them to discredit somebody else. The same people who ignore "Maybe" when it's relevant are the ones who will call you out on "Mabey" when it's not.

phreezee
01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Got all the pieces put together:

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pps8WIT3w8zYclkl6Y_Gr6yuP5NeYPnvlV00dJ0zVc5M6oABLTTBIRKJdpmZPY5xlpbiXyIw4hw9UDI7IAm3TEQ/carbonation.jpg

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pps8WIT3w8zYclkl6Y_Gr6yuP5NeYPnvlV00dJ0zVc5M6oABLTTBIRKJdpmZPY5xlpbiXyIw4hw9UDI7IAm3TEQ/carbonation.jpg?

Freeskier
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by spike98

You used your air compressor...to carbonate something you will put in your body....

I hope to fuck your compressor is oiless and has a very healthy air drying system before you start drinking it.

+1
The certifications and inspections we have to get out compressors to go through to compress air for scuba tanks is super rigorous.

Quickstrike
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM

What do you use for the water? just filtered tap?

phreezee
01-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Dropped the tank off to get hydrotested and filled today. Bought a ball valve for the regulator outlet at Home Depot, so add another $8 to my build price. This is basically what the system will do:

4AQi9x_Ueho

phreezee
02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
It's been a week with the system and I've lost a pound a day since coming back from vacation. Part of that has definitely been due to drinking carbonated water with dinner since it fills you up.

Best thing I've carbonated: pomegranate+ acai juice.

Worst thing I've carbonated: iced coffee (absolutely disgusting) lol

bignerd
02-11-2012, 05:06 PM

:facepalm:

Man do I love arguing a point that is impossible to prove me wrong...

It's seems like I'm trying to argue with a Catholic that God doesn't exist...

Well since I am not a male and have no family history of stones or kidney conditions, as well as being a student ultra-sound tech(can scan my kidneys when I wish), I am not too concerned.

I don't think it is like trying to argue with a catholic that there is no god, more like different strokes for different folks. I never stated water was not healthy for you or that you should not drink it, just that it tastes crappy.

Street_Soldier
12-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Someone please educate me about co2 bottles.

So I got the sodaMod and a couple 12 ounce tanks awhile ago. I've been getting them filled up and have always wondered how much they actually put into the tanks.

The tanks are marked for 12 ounces but each time I go I only get 4.9 - 5.9 ounces.

Is there a reason why I'm only getting half the tanks filled? Is this normal or am I being scammed?

Thanks

Seth1968
12-13-2015, 07:35 AM

I think water tastes like shit.

Where are you drinking it from? The toilet?

Seriously though, I find most tap water tastes like chemicals and dirt. I'm good though with just drinking my fridge's filtered water.

VWEvo
06-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Got a soda stream, pretty good so far. Anyone have any fun tips or tricks, maybe some interesting "recipes"

speedog
06-20-2016, 07:15 PM
If you've ever had to enjoy some of the available water in SE Alberta then most other water will taste fabulous - I remember one artesian well where you could light the air on fire that came out of the pope with the water, yummy water that as.

Sugarphreak
06-20-2016, 07:56 PM