PDA

View Full Version : Average gross for a Shaw installer?

WhippWhapp
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
A coworker's neighbor claims to pull $140k/year working 4-5 days per week as an independent Shaw installer- I have no clue if it's realistic or not.

With his current position it's easy to push six figures with overtime, full benefits and profit sharing.

Maybelater
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
My roommate installs for Telus, although over-time always brings your income up that sounds like BS to me.

Mibz
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how is he getting profit sharing and benefits if he's independent?

G-ZUS
01-04-2012, 01:12 PM
:bullshit:

lilmira
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
CRA would like to know as well. :devil:

Disoblige
01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Does he also own a local rally school?

WhippWhapp
01-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how is he getting profit sharing and benefits if he's independent?

I mean my coworker currently gets profit sharing at his job now.

Canucks3322
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
If thats true im quitting my job wtf lol

masoncgy
01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Your co-worker's neighbor is full of shit.

Xtrema
01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

darthVWader
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Is his last name Shaw and he's the 14th cousin's son's brother.
I think that might get you a $140,000 pay day if my marth is right.

Maxx Mazda
01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
My GF used to work in HR at shaw. They don't make THAT much, but they are paid VERY well. Think closer to $75-$80K. No joke.

Paid on a per-job basis, so it depends on the installer. A good one can rake in the dough.

Chester
01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

This. I work for Shaw. Installers and Network Techs make good money, especially with all the OT, but not $140k good.

CanmoreOrLess
01-04-2012, 10:52 PM
He must be doing more than laying cable. 140K a year sounds like the bar tab for Jim Shaw.

WhippWhapp
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

This was my gut feeling, I just want him to be sure of what he's getting into if he quits!

Thanks all.

Tik-Tok
01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
My GF used to work in HR at shaw. They don't make THAT much, but they are paid VERY well. Think closer to $75-$80K. No joke.

Seriously?

That's awesome. A guy installing cable make more than mechanics keeping aircraft in the air. My life life just got a little more bitter :rofl:

Ryan Shawcross
01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
They don't make anything close to that. I'm a journeyman electrician, I make just less than 80k/year, and we have tonnes of guys that have quit Shaw to come work for us for 40k/year, and they're happy to get it. Unless there's something he's not telling you, he's not getting 140k a year working five days a week hooking up people's tvs, trust me. If that were the case I'd quit my job tomorrow and start doing it myself.

mark4091
01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm actually aware of one that makes closer to 200k. It's all about working 24/7 and getting first pick at the jobs. It's the same as any "installing" job. Sure the possibility is there, but you have to compete with 200 other assorted characters with no qualifications.

If you're able to work physically and you're good at math I would advise on looking for a small electrical company.

kvg
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
One of my best friends works for Shaw and he pull 6 figures. For 140k he must pull crazy hours. Most installers are contractors and get paid per job +commission on extras.

Grogador
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
All depends how good you can upsell, falsify your sales codes and how quickly you can slap and dash. Even for a highly unlikely $140k/year before tools, gas and vehicle, I wouldn't want to be labelled a Shaw UBE.

M.alex
01-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by mark4091
I'm actually aware of one that makes closer to 200k. It's all about working 24/7 and getting first pick at the jobs. It's the same as any "installing" job. Sure the possibility is there, but you have to compete with 200 other assorted characters with no qualifications.

If you're able to work physically and you're good at math I would advise on looking for a small electrical company.

How are you "aware" of this. Did he tell you. :rofl:

Type_S1
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
LOL at this because I used to work at shaw.

Ask yourself this...if someone can make 80k as a shaw installer why does anyone go to school for things like an electrician? LOL

03ozwhip
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by kvg
One of my best friends works for Shaw and he pull 6 figures. For 140k he must pull crazy hours. Most installers are contractors and get paid per job +commission on extras.

since you know alot of the same people i do it seems, you might be talking about jason or garrick, both of them pull 6 figures at shaw installing cable, its not unheard of, its all about how much work you take on and if you have your own truck etc.

WhippWhapp
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Ask yourself this...if someone can make 80k as a shaw installer why does anyone go to school for things like an electrician? LOL

It's not totally beyond belief, I don't have my high school diploma and made $92k last year.

My coworker was just asking my opinion, and really I had no idea if it was possible.

Gorilla
01-06-2012, 02:15 PM
was a repair tech at Shaw, and I can back that up. They do make close to or above 6 figures.

something like 40 bucks per Digital Terminal
+ commision on upsales

GTS4tw
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Why does anyone go to school at all if its just about the money? There are multiple trades where you will make over 6 figures working for yourself after 10 years, with no education at all, and no student loans!

G-ZUS
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

I don't have my high school diploma and made $92k last year.

Doing what?

WhippWhapp
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I do what amounts to process control in a metal factory, most of my experience before this was in plastics (injection, blowmoulding, extrusion, etc).

mark4091
01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

How are you "aware" of this. Did he tell you. :rofl:

Family friend. Seems to have the house + cars to back it up.

kvg
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

since you know alot of the same people i do it seems, you might be talking about jason or garrick, both of them pull 6 figures at shaw installing cable, its not unheard of, its all about how much work you take on and if you have your own truck etc.

Ya, I'm talking about Chow. He's been at it for around 10yrs now.

M.alex
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Time to start sending our children to trade schools instead of college :rofl:

Maxt
01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Time to start sending our children to trade schools instead of college :rofl:
Well most of the Shaw techs have no trade qualifications... If you want to see real money, it's cleaning up after the Shaw install techs ;).... Most of Beyond's real ballers wear tool belts.. :devil: ..

Chandler_Racing
01-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Ever heard of credit?

The_Rural_Juror
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM

InRich?

03ozwhip
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by kvg

ya man, he was the first one of the group to really start getting his shit together. i dunno if hell ever leave shaw but good on him for doing it for this long, its hard to give up that type of $$ for a relatively easy job.

revelations
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Seriously?

That's awesome. A guy installing cable make more than mechanics keeping aircraft in the air. My life life just got a little more bitter :rofl:

You mean no one told you that roofers make more money hourly than some airline mechanics? :nut: (I spent 5 years in the heavy iron industry).

TomcoPDR
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

ya man, he was the first one of the group to really start getting his shit together. i dunno if hell ever leave shaw but good on him for doing it for this long, its hard to give up that type of $$ for a relatively easy job.

I'm just happy to see him getting outta that Jeep with 26" lookin' like some 6'3" Azn gangster rolling around with ladders on his roof (I hardly see him slap those stupid "Shaw" magnets on) and into a real Euro SUV. (don't tell him I said this)...

sevewone
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Bullshit.

It depends if hes contractor or Direct employee. If hes a contractor he would literally have to be knocking on everyone's door for piece work, or get a contract for a huge condo being built (even then it would probably be direct employees).

I know of guys making over 50k here in the Okanagan contracting themselves out but there is so much overhead and bullshit its not worth it. You have to supply your own ladder, tools, power tools, gas, maintenance...etc etc. And even if you do grab a job sometimes it has to pulled though by phoning the office and that can take a couple hours of you doing fuck all not getting paid.

mark4091
01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Ever heard of credit?

Ever heard of hard work?

Once again, without being too specific as I'm not going to drop names without that persons permission, the earnings are accurate.

Would I doubt this person is one of if not the highest earning installers in canada? Of course not. What can you prove over the internet without the exposure the doubters want? you don't make money being stupid.

You're just going to have to take my word for it. Tell me what I have to gain from lying? because I usually take advantage when I can ;)

sabad66
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Let's do some math here and try to figure this out.

4.5 days per week * 50 weeks = 225 days of work in a year

140,000 / 225 = $622

How many installs can you do a day? 8? Can you clear $622 for 8 installs? If so, then 140k might be legit... Just really depends on how much they bill shaw for each one.

kvg
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I'm just happy to see him getting outta that Jeep with 26" lookin' like some 6'3" Azn gangster rolling around with ladders on his roof (I hardly see him slap those stupid "Shaw" magnets on) and into a real Euro SUV. (don't tell him I said this)...

He sold the v10 tdi and is rollin mini van until he gets the itch for another fun car.

TomcoPDR
01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by kvg

He sold the v10 tdi and is rollin mini van until he gets the itch for another fun car.

WAT? A mini van??? Oh how times have changed, he'd be the last person I'd expect in a van... did he have a kid or something?

kvg
01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Yup a little girl names Jasmine, but he had the tdi and the van at the same time as he didn't want to use the tdi for work.

Maybelater
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Installing isn't a trade, but don't most those companies want you to have a related degree like telecommunications?

Chandler_Racing
01-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Ever heard of hard work?

Once again, without being too specific as I'm not going to drop names without that persons permission, the earnings are accurate.

Would I doubt this person is one of if not the highest earning installers in canada? Of course not. What can you prove over the internet without the exposure the doubters want? you don't make money being stupid.

You're just going to have to take my word for it. Tell me what I have to gain from lying? because I usually take advantage when I can ;)

I don't think you made it up - well maybe you did. I just think you're out of touch with reality.

I will do his taxes for free if you "prove it." I can tell you without question that people bullshit about how much the earn.

Unknown303
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
It's funny that people with schooling don't want to accept the fact that there are jobs out there that require no schooling and just by putting in time you can make serious money.

drtoohotty1
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
lol im am literally sitting here typing as a shaw installer is working 3 feet away installing my gateway :rofl: He says that the average is 70-100 depending on how hard you work before gas truck tools cell phone at peace rate with no ot so it evens out. Also it freaks him out that you all know Chow his basic life story :rofl:

kvg
01-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Chows one of my best friends.

mark4091
01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

I don't think you made it up - well maybe you did. I just think you're out of touch with reality.

I will do his taxes for free if you "prove it." I can tell you without question that people bullshit about how much the earn.

You may know of people who lie about what they earn, but it's equally ignorant to claim impossible when clearly variable earnings are very much a part of this line of work. It's a much harder position to argue.

I cannot assume that this person wants to take part in internet wagers. Hopefully you can understand due to my current level of communication with this person it would seem quite odd that I ask for proof of earnings to prove something to some guy on beyond.

max_boost
01-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
It's funny that people with schooling don't want to accept the fact that there are jobs out there that require no schooling and just by putting in time you can make serious money.

That's all I'm getting out of this thread lol

Hakkola
01-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

That's all I'm getting out of this thread lol

I've known this for a long time. You should do what you enjoy, you don't need school to make money. My dad makes over $300 000 a year and he didn't even go to high school.

J-hop
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

It would be stupid to say that you need an education to make money. BUT!! Too often you see people with no schooling who see others without schooling making big bucks and then think making money is easy. "look at Steve jobs, he dropped out of highschool and made a ton of money until he passed". Yea but he had a hell of a lot of drive (and intelligence for that matter).

I'm sure being an installer making 6 figures takes a shit ton of work. Not something the average highschool drop out is cut out for. I'd argue that only 10% of people who dropped out of highschool did so because academics wasn't an appropriate path for them. The other 90%? they dropped out because they are lazy shits and likely wouldn't be any better off in life if they had a degree and definitely wouldn't have enough drive to be out their working hard enough as an installer to make 6 figures.

Whether you are educated or not has nothing to do with it, its about your drive to better your life. An education is only a tool to get that job done, nothing more....

max_boost
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
^^^

I agree with J-hop lol

BTW, Jobs dropped out of College.

So good. Must watch.

UF8uR6Z6KLc

BTW $300K is damn good but it ain't baller territory right J-hop? LOL

ercchry
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
making money is easy.... having a life and making money is the challenge

M.alex
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
ITT: Everybody believes what people tell them on the internet and drop out of school

Hakkola
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
ITT: Everybody believes what people tell them on the internet and drop out of school

Money isn't everything, and I'm not saying anyone should drop out, I'm pretty much a career student :rofl:

tirebob
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I'd argue that only 10% of people who dropped out of highschool did so because academics wasn't an appropriate path for them. The other 90%? they dropped out because they are lazy shits and likely wouldn't be any better off in life if they had a degree and definitely wouldn't have enough drive to be out their working hard enough as an installer to make 6 figures.

Whether you are educated or not has nothing to do with it, its about your drive to better your life. An education is only a tool to get that job done, nothing more....

I myself am one of the 10% I like to think. I was good at school. Made the honor roll. Bored to death. Went to a small town in Quebec in grade 11 when I was 16 for a student exchange for a week. Met a girl, could get in the bars, quit school, got a job in a tire shop and never looked back.

I always worked hard and school really didn't have any interest for me. I decided I would go another way and it worked...

Formal education isn't all it's cracked up to be UNLESS you know exactly what you want to do and how to use it, otherwise, there is good money and a good life possible by many other means...

Ven
01-08-2012, 11:32 PM
There's never any proof with these stupid threads. Always 3rd and 4th party claims about how they know a guy who makes over 100k as a bag boy at Safeway.

Then everyone with two brain cells to rub together calls bullshit.

Then the OP is like 'he's my best friend so I know this'.

And everyone calls bullshit again.

Then the OP is like 'he works super hard long hours'.

And everyone calls bullshit.

The the OP is like 'it's cause he has mad tips yo.'

Then the OP goes, 'it's cause he can take 6 grocery carts at once and is the top produce handler nationally for like 28 years straight and you're all jealous cause he makes more money than you do without a pre-school diploma and he's only 19 years old and invented water.'

And then after a while the thread slowly fades away until the next one pops up about how some guy they know makes 300k a year working part time picking rocks out of tires for the government in order to prevent excessive wear on the roads.

WhippWhapp
01-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

I myself am one of the 10% I like to think. I was good at school. Made the honor roll. Bored to death. Went to a small town in Quebec in grade 11 when I was 16 for a student exchange for a week. Met a girl, could get in the bars, quit school, got a job in a tire shop and never looked back.

I always worked hard and school really didn't have any interest for me. I decided I would go another way and it worked...

Formal education isn't all it's cracked up to be UNLESS you know exactly what you want to do and how to use it, otherwise, there is good money and a good life possible by many other means...

I'm in the other 10% too, was good academically and athletically but just too interested in trying to be a menace and bad ass(ie: idiot).

I took a good look around in my early 20's and thought "What the fuck am I going to do?" Temperance in my youth would have been a good thing, but I made out ok... everyone has their own path to walk.

And to everyone who says money is not everything, I grew up in a one parent home where money was very tight- some money is definately better than none, guaranteed. There's nothing quite like making yourself ketchup sandwiches when you get home after school because your mom is working her second crappy evening job to make ends meet.

Tomaz
01-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Ven

And then after a while the thread slowly fades away until the next one pops up about how some guy they know makes 300k a year working part time picking rocks out of tires for the government in order to prevent excessive wear on the roads.

So, where does one apply for such job? :bigpimp:

Formal education never worked for me. Call it whatever you want, I just couldn't do it. I don't make a lot of money right now, but I have sure climbed the corporate ladder at an alarming rate. What matters is what makes you happy. If you love digging ditches, then just keep on doing what you love. :thumbsup:

lilmira
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Who cares? I'm sure that there are people with more education than me, who work ten times as hard as I do but make a fraction of what I make. Then there are people with no talent nor education, who work one tenth or less of the amount I work and make 10 times what I make.

If you have to judge the quality of your own life based on other people's lives, you are doing it wrong.

GTS4tw
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Who cares? I'm sure that there are people with more education than me, who work ten times as hard as I do but make a fraction of what I make. Then there are people with no talent nor education, who work one tenth or less of the amount I work and make 10 times what I make.

If you have to judge the quality of your own life based on other people's lives, you are doing it wrong.

Wow, very well said! :clap:

And for the non-believers, I know many people who went to university and make less than a few tradespeople I work with. However the tradesperson had to do manual labor for years to get to that position while the university person can do it working for someone else. Also most tradespeople will never reach that level. Its all about what you want out of life. I have only got a high school diploma, and class 1 driving lessons. I started a painting company at 23 and was pulling in 80K+ within 3 years, I hated the hours though so I went to work for someone else. Now I do very little physical labor, work shifts so I have tons of time off, and am not making that much less. For me its all about enjoyment of life and I don't need much money for that.

Edit: Oh right, the thread topic..... I know a shaw installer in Kelowna that has his own airplane and hangar, I dunno how much he makes but that aint cheap!

Disoblige
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Well said.

max_boost
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Winrar!

googe
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ven
There's never any proof with these stupid threads. Always 3rd and 4th party claims about how they know a guy who makes over 100k as a bag boy at Safeway.

Then the OP goes, 'it's cause he can take 6 grocery carts at once and is the top produce handler nationally for like 28 years straight and you're all jealous cause he makes more money than you do without a pre-school diploma and he's only 19 years old and invented water.'

LOL, nailed it.

It's funny, I didn't open this thread at first, but thought "oh it's beyond, surely people are in there saying they make 6 figures." But, I thought I was kidding.

J-hop
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Although I agree with you to an extent. To be realistic we live in a society that values money above all else, so IMO judging your quality of life based on other people's or more specifically what other people make isn't such a bad thing. In fact I argue that they offer good bench marks that the rest of us can strive for.

I dont really buy the whole "I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable" implying it's one or the other????? That is a silly outlook IMO.

Ven
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM

I dont really buy the whole "I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable" implying it's one or the other????? That is a silly outlook IMO.

Agreed. That's because life is about balance right?

But I'm going to disagree with you that society values money above all else. Sure some demographics do, material wealth is their identity and measure of self worth in their, and the eyes, of their peers. But I think a larger cross section, especially globally, would show money isn't the highest value by a long shot. I'm not discounting the importance of money, after all commerce makes the world go 'round. Money is just one part of the life balance thing. I wouldn't want anyone to use me as a benchmark in their life just because I have big checks and strive to emulate that, it would be creepy to me.

msommers
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
North Americans value money so much. Distend are horrendous for salary dick measuring.

sneek
01-09-2012, 10:49 PM

It would be stupid to say that you need an education to make money. BUT!! Too often you see people with no schooling who see others without schooling making big bucks and then think making money is easy. "look at Steve jobs, he dropped out of highschool and made a ton of money until he passed". Yea but he had a hell of a lot of drive (and intelligence for that matter).

I'm sure being an installer making 6 figures takes a shit ton of work. Not something the average highschool drop out is cut out for. I'd argue that only 10% of people who dropped out of highschool did so because academics wasn't an appropriate path for them. The other 90%? they dropped out because they are lazy shits and likely wouldn't be any better off in life if they had a degree and definitely wouldn't have enough drive to be out their working hard enough as an installer to make 6 figures.

Very well said! I am sure 140k doesn't come easy as an installer.

I am sure normal hours for "4 - 5" days a week it is almost impossible. Pre-bonus I make under 140k, and I work 6-7 days a week from 75-90 hours a week :(

Racoonfighter
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
140,000 no around a 120,000 i know a couple people that do as a Shaw installer you have to deal with a lot of sketchy people and you can make up to 600 or 700 a day for about 12 hrs work its all about up sales and how you code.The turnover rate is huge to

Notorious1
03-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Ven

Agreed.

Anomaly
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Seriously lol'd
:clap:

Well done

n1zm0
03-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Racoonfighter
140,000 no around a 120,000 i know a couple people that do as a Shaw installer you have to deal with a lot of sketchy people and you can make up to 600 or 700 a day for about 12 hrs work its all about up sales and how you code.The turnover rate is huge to

+1 i have a friend who went to school with me who went into telecom install instead of aviation and was scooped up fairly quickly, it's in the lower 100k max for sure if you get large jobs/contract. not a bad backup plan imo for wire pulling half as complicated as aircraft wiring. the stories of some customers and work conditions he has though, maybe not worth it right away lol

ringmaster
03-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Not Shaw, but the guy that installed our Telus internet was in and out with a smile.. said he gets paid for how many installs he does (I questioned why he was actually on time for a sunday morning 8:00 am install). I think that if you're good you can make good coin, same as anything else.

Rhystar
03-10-2012, 10:07 PM
average for a solid UBE "SHOULD" be between 90-130k a year.. but its all piece rate, so it really depends on the persons work ethic and whether there actually is work to be done..... which there always is

bootybandit
03-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Usually they give installers about 6 installs a day, but if you are good 8-12 is easy as long as you don't have to do a sh!t load of drop 1's those suck ass. I averaged around 90-110k when I was an installer.

rated_R
03-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by bootybandit
Usually they give installers about 6 installs a day, but if you are good 8-12 is easy as long as you don't have to do a sh!t load of drop 1's those suck ass. I averaged around 90-110k when I was an installer.

Who did you work for? Telus or Shaw? and why aren't you doing it anymore if you don't mind me asking