PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Yoga or Pilates

max_boost
01-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Help?

Any first timers place I can take out there and where? Got a few buddies wanting to try it out as well.

There are tonnes of health benefits obviously but the main one is to improve my flexibility, core strength and breathing.

I use to weight lift a bit but got bored, weights got too heavy so it just collects dust now.

dandia89
01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
i think the u of c has some good beginner classes. plus you get a good crowd of girls to lurk :poosie:

dannie
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Help?

Any first timers place I can take out there and where? Got a few buddies wanting to try it out as well.

There are tonnes of health benefits obviously but the main one is to improve my flexibility, core strength and breathing.

I use to weight lift a bit but got bored, weights got too heavy so it just collects dust now.

Most places have a basics class a couple times a week that you can try. For example, these guys have a "Foundations" class that you can attend with no experience. I've gone to their traditional classes and they are quite decent.

http://yogadotcalm.com/class-descriptions.html

I personally found it easiest to go with someone who has gone before. There is certain etiquette that you should follow and if you go with someone, you will at least feel like you aren't a total n00b.

One thing to remember though, is that each studio has different ummmmmm demographics, that attend the classes. So, it might take going to a few different studios to figure out which one is right for you.

msommers
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Hot yoga is way better imo. Keep on lifting while doing it, I found it helped a lot because I got a little more stable but WAY more flexible. Don't quit lifting buddy, who else is going to endorse 5x5!! Seriously, keep lifting.

They'll tell you it's not a competition...well it is...HA

arian_ma
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Doesn't the YMCA have drop in yoga classes if you are a member?

max_boost
01-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Hot yoga a definite no for now.

I looked up a bunch of other places but the hours either didn't work out, were hot yoga, or experience necessary places.

I found Yoga Shala that offers Ashtanga. A free beginner Saturday class or there's a beginners drop in on Sundays for $17.

Anyone been to Yoga Shala before?

Exactly what do I need to bring? I figure my under armour gear will come in handy (t-shirt/shorts). Bring a water bottle, towel and mat?

Fuck I'm actually nervous but looking forward to trying this out.

98type_r
01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I have been a few times to their Ashtanga class, pretty good.
The wife really likes Shala, that and Yoga Passage on 11th are probably the two places she goes regularly.
Bring shorts and a t-shirt (not cotton, under armour works)
If you don't have a mat, you can rent one for a buck or two and depending on how much you sweat you might want a towel.

First swimming then skating and now yoga, what's next?

max_boost
01-05-2012, 02:48 AM
OK cool dude. This is going to be interesting no doubt. I am not flexible at all haha this could do wonders over time.

Swimming, skating, snowboarding, yoga and ice hockey starts next week as well. :D

msommers
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
That's a handful of stuff, hope you have time!

Why no hot yoga? I started with hot yoga because of a groupon thing and then tried regular yoga and it was boring lol. Hot yoga isn't as intense as people make it out to be, well, the beginning classes. Bikram (sp) can get a bit crazy.

KRyn
01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

The weights got to heavy? Holy fuck that is the best excuse to quit weight lifting I have ever heard! Max_Boost, you are my hero! <3

sexualbanana
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been doing hot yoga off and on for the last little while and to be honest I'm not totally convinced of its effectiveness.

I've done normal yoga before and the difficulty isn't any different. I feel as though the heat is just a gimmick to convince you you're working hard.

Not to mention hot yoga is bloody expensive! At most places it costs twice as much as a membership at Golds.... Golds!

ExtraSlow
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Golds Jerry!

max_boost
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Went to Yoga Shala today for the first Ashtanga yoga experience. Very beginner friendly, at a good pace. Definitely different than anything I've done before. Drop in price was $17. I was able to keep up, nice people, helped fix a couple postures. I'm lazy and never stretch before any kind of sporting activity so going to Yoga forces me to stretch haha

Looks like Yoga will be a regular thing for me now. :thumbsup: We had a full class, a couple cuties and mostly older crowd and one particular older dude who was breathing like Darth Vader lol

Sorath
01-09-2012, 12:42 AM
HOT YOGAAA TIME! :D

I hear the crowd is better :D :poosie: