PDA

View Full Version : Question About House Codes

Mar
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I got 3 2x10 nailed together as a beam in the basement to bear load and right now they're 9.5 feet in length from wall to wall. I want to knock out a portion of the wall and extend the beam to a maximum of 12 feet, is this possible/correct under proper code. I'm not sure if code differs between province but it is in Newfoundland.

big A
01-05-2012, 06:56 PM
You can't just do something like that, you need it engineered approved.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
extending the span is a big deal. Get a structural engineer.

Mar
01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I just need to know what code says, what are the limitations?

Sugarphreak
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM

triplep
01-05-2012, 10:50 PM
mike holmes would :guns: for doing something like that, but like they said above get someone who knows what they are doing to help you out.

Unless you do it yourself, then call mike and he'll come fix it for you for free

TomcoPDR
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Easy

lol :werd: what Sugar said

lilmira
01-05-2012, 11:18 PM
National Building Code is the minimum, each province has it's own but they mostly follow the NBC.

Now you have a certain size beam spanning a certain distance supporting a certain area. It doesn't necessarily mean that the beam is at capacity. However you should definitely get a qualified professional to look at your specific condition. I would assume that modifying a structural member will require an application to the city with drawings stamped by a qualified professional.

No, it's definitely not a DIY job.

chengj
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
If you're concerned about the code in the first place, it'll probably tell you to talk to an engineer.

I just pulled out a center, supporting wall and replaced it with a large beam. I did the work myself (with a few friends and the city's and the engineer's approval and instructions). I did get an engineer's drawing and it all passed thankfully. I also talked to a few structural engineers, throughout the process. The code won't tell you specific spans, beam sizes, because it depends highly on your house, what other walls you have or don't have above, around, etc...

Also (disclaimer: this is not professional advice), you may have issues simply extending the beam. You can't just extend a beam and expect to maintain structural integrity. Talk to an engineer.

Porsche_55
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I got 3 2x10 nailed together as a beam in the basement to bear load and right now they're 9.5 feet in length from wall to wall. I want to knock out a portion of the wall and extend the beam to a maximum of 12 feet, is this possible/correct under proper code. I'm not sure if code differs between province but it is in Newfoundland.

You could DIY. In the ABC there are span charts for beams only dimensional lumber. Based on how many stories the beam is supporting and the distance between teleposts and the distance the joist are spanning and what size the joists are. You can DIY but I would just consult with an architect. They are qualified to help you under part 9 of the ABC.

Mar
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_55

You could DIY. In the ABC there are span charts for beams only dimensional lumber. Based on how many stories the beam is supporting and the distance between teleposts and the distance the joist are spanning and what size the joists are. You can DIY but I would just consult with an architect. They are qualified to help you under part 9 of the ABC.
Already checked the charts. The house is 25 feet wide meaning the joists are 12.5 feet long on each side and it's only a single story on that side of the house. For 3 2x10 nailed together with these specifications, it says the maximum span distance is 9 feet, 9 inches and right now it's almost 9 foot 10. It also says it can be over 12 feet if another 2x10 is added to the beam.

Nothing will be done without confirmation.

sillysod
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I pulled the teleposts out of the middle of my basement and replaced the beams with heavy steel I-beams. Wasn't cheap, but nice to have the open space for an entertainment room.

Porsche_55
01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I pulled the teleposts out of the middle of my basement and replaced the beams with heavy steel I-beams. Wasn't cheap, but nice to have the open space for an entertainment room.

What did that cost you?

UndrgroundRider
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
^ I am also interested in knowing how much that cost. I have been thinking about doing that for a while.

cet
01-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

I just did the same thing in my basement. I have a room in the basement with a width of 17'. Originally I had a post in the middle supporting 2 2x10 engineered beams.

I called an engineering company to come out give me some options for removing the telepost and decided the easiest of the options given to me was to bolt 2 c channels to the outside of the beams. A fellow Beyonder's company manufactured the channels and delivered them to my house and I installed them.

Total cost for the project including the engineering letter, permit, channels and all other related items was about $3500