PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to get out of a golds gym contract?

ekguy
01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Definitely don't need to be paying this as I go to the gym at work and will probably be joining the one by my place as well...

I'm probably about half way through maybe a bit more.

Can I just put a stop payment on them through my bank???

ddduke
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
They'll take you to collections. They're near impossible to get out of and won't even let you cancel in person, it has to be via registered letter. They'll make excuses about managers never being in or being on the phone, etc.

PM roll_over, he prepaid and then later they renewed him, took him to collections even though they said it was cancelled, then made him pay a couple hundred in extra fees. I remember he would stop by there a few times a week for months trying to cancel and it went nowhere.

Read up online, it's an absolute nightmare and there's hundreds of horror stories, golds is the biggest fucking scam in the world.

ekguy
01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
fucking lovely...

thats fantastic. Well guess I'll switch it to the downtown one and go there a couple times a week then.

charizard
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
^ switching to the downtown one will make ur monthly payments go up by a bit.

I've cancelled 2 contracts with golds in the last few years. you can either transfer to someone else and pay the transfer fee, or pay ~$250 to cancel it. other that those 2 options you can wait out the contract and cancel it then for free

ekguy
01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
oh i thought it was more than 250$ to cancel. Efffff that then I'll just pay them haha. I might try to transfer it first but hell 250$ isn't much.

K3RMiTdot
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
couldnt you just bullshit your way out like, your moving out of the country or some shit.

one of my friends got out of it by saying he cant pay for it has no job or anything at all.

i mean its worth a shot to start bullshit.

tom_9109
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Death.

GQBalla
01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
damn, im looking to cancel my membership too.
from golds.

how much is the transfer fee?

28 bucks bi weekly anyone interested?

Merritt
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
couldnt you just bullshit your way out like, your moving out of the country or some shit.

one of my friends got out of it by saying he cant pay for it has no job or anything at all.

i mean its worth a shot to start bullshit.

Yeah I believe this is called pretext, yes?

Modelexis
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Easiest thing for you to do is put it on kijiji or similar for sale to transfer the membership to someone else.

Give an incentive, 50$ or 100$ to take it over.

Someone will contact you, all you have to do is meet this person at golds and they will complete the transfer for you 100%, takes about 5 minutes. Tell the dude he needs to bring a CC.

Lots of people are looking for golds memberships with short term contracts etc so you should have no problem.

know1edge
01-05-2012, 10:11 PM
transfer fee is at least 200

Modelexis
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
transfer fee is at least 200

I did one at golds northgate (about 2 months ago) and it was free.
So maybe give your gym a call and see if they will give you a break on the transfer fee.

Zewind
01-05-2012, 10:49 PM
How is this good business practice? :confused:

Modelexis
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
How is this good business practice? :confused:

Don't be a drama queen, a contract is signed upon initial start date and it's the responsibility of the user to ask questions and get information BEFORE they enter a contract.

2 second conversation during signup:
-hey is there a charge if I decide i want to cancel my contract? how much is it?
-hey, is there a fee if I wanna transfer it to another golds?
-hey, what if I want to transfer my membership to someone else when I don't need it any longer?

If you are in a cell phone contract or a rental contract or an internet contract you know how this works. Ignorance isn't an excuse, we have every possible resource available at our finger tips to find answers to these questions.

Yeah it sucks, life is tough, move on, get over it, lesson learned.

ekguy
01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I remembered there being a fee but for some reason I thought it was around 400$. But with it being the price it is to cancel i'll probably just cancel.

Or depending how nice the downtown one is might just transfer it there. Not the end of the world going there would just rather not.

codetrap
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
It's interesting to me how they can enforce a contract where you pay for a service you're no longer using, and have given fair notice to cancel. Especially one where there's no cost to recover for them, like in a cell phone type situation..

Basically, it sounds like they squeeze you by the balls till you pay one way or another.

roll_over
01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
They want a registered letter 3 months in advance.

Just go and cause shit and be rude. wait at the front desk and tell all the people walking in how its a huge scam then they will help you out. I dont know how many times I was told that the manager wasent in or on the phone so I started telling the customers about how hard it was to cancel all of a sudden the manager was in.

Cruelty and Clemency, and Whether it is Better to be Loved or Feared

charizard
01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

I did one at golds northgate (about 2 months ago) and it was free.
So maybe give your gym a call and see if they will give you a break on the transfer fee.

northgate is the only decent golds where there is no transfer fee. the other 3 are owned by the same person and have terrible policies

Feruk
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Don't be a drama queen, a contract is signed upon initial start date and it's the responsibility of the user to ask questions and get information BEFORE they enter a contract.

2 second conversation during signup:
-hey is there a charge if I decide i want to cancel my contract? how much is it?
-hey, is there a fee if I wanna transfer it to another golds?
-hey, what if I want to transfer my membership to someone else when I don't need it any longer?

If you are in a cell phone contract or a rental contract or an internet contract you know how this works. Ignorance isn't an excuse, we have every possible resource available at our finger tips to find answers to these questions.

Yeah it sucks, life is tough, move on, get over it, lesson learned.

What does it matter if you look over a contract if you can't change anything in it?! You can't tell the lemming working that day that you'll "conditionally sign if a couple parts are changed." He won't have approval or brain power to do that. If you decide not to sign, you'll go somewhere less convenient and STILL have to sign a similar contract!

Cell phone contracts are used for the company to recover cost of giving you a phone for $10. What's a gym got to recover?? Minor accounting fees? Rental contracts have escape clauses and tenants have a whole bill of rights; none of which applies to gym contracts. Internet contracts... I know nothing about because I've never been stupid enough to get one. Basically, if you stop going to the gym, you're still forced to pay for a service you're not using. This type of shit should be illegal.

arian_ma
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I think they can subsidize the monthly cost to you since in their books you are a guaranteed customer for x number of years and will be giving them x amount of dollars. So someone who is with them for 3 years can pay a lower monthly fee because of the overall gain from that person will be greater than someone who signs a 2 year contract with the same monthly payments, hence why a 2 year contract would have a higher payment.

GQBalla
01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
just called golds gym eau claire
For a transfer.
both people have to go to the gym,
Transfer fee is $59 a person.

For Cancel its $199 and registered mail
and you have to pay the 91 days it takes to process

Modelexis
01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
So if I sign a car lease contract and agree to all the conditions in the lease by signing my name, then I leave the car in my garage and don't drive it. Does this give me a right to be upset when I storm into the dealership and order them to break my lease?

Whether is is a car lease contract or a gym membership, a contract is a contract and if you didn't agree with something on the contract you should never sign your name. You could have just paid for individual visits without a membership.

How costly it is for the company in question to allow you to break your contract is irrelevant, it doesn't matter in the least bit and doesn't change anything about how a contract works. Welcome to real life.

If you think golds has brutal contract enforcement, you should join the military.

ekguy
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Like I said not a big deal. Going to switch to downtown. Contracts up in a little over a year. Would have been nice if there was a way out but im not too worried about it.

ekguy
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Guy i work with just moved to mckenzie. He's taking my membership over, which is awesome now i can join the one in Marda Loop.

:)