PDA

View Full Version : Gas theives in Winston Heights?

ZMan2k2
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
So I filled up tonight. I have a ScanGauge II in my truck, and it's been pretty good at estimating the amount of fuel needed to fill my truck. I thought I went through quite a bit in the last couple weeks, so I was interested in the fill.

My ScanGauge estimated 45 litres to fill my tank. In actuality, it took 66. 21 litres difference! Interestingly enough, 21 litres would be a 5 gallon gas can. I have a locking gas cap on order, to curb the continuation of this.

Just be warned. If you live near Centre St. or Edmonton Tr. in the North, lock your gas door, or get a locking cap. They are out there.

manny18
01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
calculate your mpg... it will be more accurate

lellowrx7
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
lol estimated mpg vs computer scanner
yes much more accurate

ZMan2k2
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
My scangauge gives real-time mileage, and is always accurate to within 1-2 litres every time. I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden, it's 21 litres off. But since you insist, I've gone from an average of 18MPG to 10.2 on this tank. Either my truck engine has exploded, or something else happened.

J-hop
01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Interesting, I sure as hell wouldn't want to run very far carrying the 5 gallon culligan bottle sitting in my kitchen haha.

Interesting that they put the gas cap back on perfectly to, maybe they were hoping you wouldn't notice and they could come back for more ;)

In all honesty I think you are seeing a connection where there isn't one. On top of that, at this time of year with temp fluctuations and varying engine warm up times the last thing you should be doing is watching your fuel consumption like a hawk, it's going to be completely different each tank.

Merritt
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
So what do you plan to do about it?

Are you going to get your money back or?

ZMan2k2
01-06-2012, 09:15 AM
It was a warning for others in the area. Just to keep an eye on things for others. As for what I'm doing, I'm getting a locking gas cap. That should take care of it.

As for idling and watching mileage, I don't care too much about mileage. If I did, I wouldn't drive a truck with a 4L engine. But when I'm out 21L of fuel, I just think something fishy is going on.

ZMan2k2
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
As it turns out, it wasn't gas theives at my house. They were at my work.

I was talking to a guy at work today, who noticed recently that he was missing fuel. He has already found 2 others, and I'm the 4th. We're not sure when it happened, but we're pretty sure it happened at work. What makes it great is that the camera pointed at the parking lot hasn't worked for a couple months, and the security guards didn't see anything on their walk arounds. Still getting the locking gas cap.

Turns out you need to be careful in the airport industrial area. I park in the Canada Post lot behind the Wendy's/Tim Horton's on McKnight and 12 St.

Disoblige
01-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Hope you catch the guy. Some cars have really easy to access the gas cap (i.e. Honda Fits, Element) where you can open it from the outside even if the car is locked or not. Very sketchy.

Funny enough, was searching on Google for a specific gas cap and found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525152624AAeiYGl

Dumbest 'Best Answer' I ever read in a long time :rofl:

FoxTrot
01-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Speaking of locking gas caps, where locally can we buy one? I want to put one on cause my fuel door can be opened from the outside with ease.

adidas
01-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by FoxTrot
Speaking of locking gas caps, where locally can we buy one? I want to put one on cause my fuel door can be opened from the outside with ease.

Don't waste the time or money, If gas thieves want your gas they will just drill a hole in the bottom of you gas tank and drain it. Now that most cars have plastic gas tanks it has just made it easier. A tank of gas is cheaper than a new tank even at $4.00 a gallon. Been seeing alot of this lately. Hope this helps

FraserB
01-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Don't waste the time or money, If gas thieves want your gas they will just drill a hole in the bottom of you gas tank and drain it. Now that most cars have plastic gas tanks it has just made it easier. A tank of gas is cheaper than a new tank even at $4.00 a gallon. Been seeing alot of this lately. Hope this helps

Plate steel gas tank skid:D

ZMan2k2
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by FoxTrot

I did a little research and found that the Stant brand is recommended for my Tacoma. I couldn't find a local distributor, so I actually purchased it on Amazon.com. I found the model number I needed and searched for that model, and it came up. $21 total including shipping, but in the end, worth it I think.

Disoblige
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by adidas

Whoa!! Didn't know you were a Ford Senior Master Tech for over 25 years. :rofl:

Scat E46
01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Merritt
So what do you plan to do about it?

Are you going to get your money back or?

lol. Did you even read anything? Idiot.

The gas station wasn't the culprit, someone had syphoned gas from his truck.