PDA

View Full Version : Car getting vandalized repeatedly - What to do?

zipdoa
01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
A friend of mine has had his car vandalized a few times over the past couple weeks, and he's looking for a method of catching the aggressor or at least dettering them.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a Garage, so the vehicle must stay outside, but I suggested he mount cameras outside as a visual deterrent and installing a couple of cameras inside the vehicle to help get a visual of the perps.

Does anyone have some creative ways to help solve this issue, short of selling the car or moving elsewhere?

I figured the plethora of automotive enthusiasts would be able to pool their collective intelligence and provide some advice!

rob the knob
01-07-2012, 06:14 PM
i thought this was your problem and assumed banerjee was up in canada for revenge.

id probably suggest some hidden cameras.

v2kai
01-07-2012, 06:19 PM
what kind of vandalism?

sillysod
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
lights.... if it's well illuminated around the car it would likely solve the problem.

Hage69
01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
If these are happening on reccuring times around the same time, if your friend knows, I'd say camp outside one night with a baseball bat and just chase them off?

roll_over
01-07-2012, 06:51 PM
wal mart has wire less camera systems with built in infrared led's so you can get a good image at night only thing is your going to spend about $200 for a system, and the power in the battery wont last the whole night........

built in mic for audio made by uniden. It uses a lipo battery

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/598626.jpg

tirebob
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
By no means am I saying vandalism is justified, but is your buddy being a douche to anyone or in conflict with them for any reason? I am just wondering if this is random or targeted. How one could handle it may vary a bit one way or the other...

Graham_A_M
01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
^ This. I've never had anything vandalized ever....
Im assuming your friend really pissed somebody off, or perhaps he drives the kind of car that attracts all the wrong attention. The fact that it was vandalized so extensively over such a short period of time really leaves me to believe that he pissed somebody off thats now doing it.

"Camping out" is cute, but unless you enjoy taking considerable time off work, then completely reversing your schedule to stay up nights and sleep during the day, then I'd suggest wireless camera's or motion detecting lights.

xnvy
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
It has to be targeted, multiple times over the last couple of weeks? No way that's random.

Kijho
01-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Hage69
If these are happening on reccuring times around the same time, if your friend knows, I'd say camp outside one night with a baseball bat and just chase them off?

This, dunno why this doesn't come to mind right off the start...
I'd sit in the car with the seat all the way back, then you hear some kid up at your car just slowly roll up with a fuckin Saw mask on.

Sugarphreak
01-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Kloubek
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a wireless motion alarm right outside the front of my house which will let me know if someone is fucking with my truck. I have it set up so that if someone comes into the driveway it will let me know, but will not go as far as the sidewalk.

It is actually quite effective. You could get one of these systems from ebay for around $20 shipped - but not knowing the logistics of where your friend parks, I'm not sure if he could find a place to mount it or not.

roll_over
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes I own this one, it has a battery so you need to keep it plugged for it to run all the time, the feed is wireless. No sd card slot, or motion activated feature. You can add three more cameras to this system and then run it to the pc and watch anywhere in the world.

I just saw it and was like I need to buy that!

Your one sounds more baller

Uniden’s Wireless Video Surveillance products are ideal for keeping an eye on the kids in the backyard, theft deterrence, or safeguarding your small business. These products are easy to install, and use secure digital wireless technology with a transmission range of up to 500 feet. Record and save camera footage directly to your computer. The 3.5” color LCD monitor can support up to 4 cameras ensuring a clear image even at night.
3.5'' Color Display (640 x 480 VGA)
Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery
Night View Camera
AV out to TV Monitor
Expandable up to 4 Cameras!
Simple Plug 'N Play!
Digital Zoom/Pan/Tilt Capability
Quad, AutoScan or Full Screen View
Camera transmits up to 500ft.
Portable & Discreet
Built-in Microphone
PC Software Included