PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on the Temp to rise

GorG
01-29-2004, 12:21 AM
I was just wondering this cuz most of my friends dont wait for their car to warm up, and they dont know that its not good for the engine. so i was just wondering how many of you actually wait for your car to reach the right temperature before driving.

EK 2.0
01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
In the summer, I wait for my oil pressure gauge to read normal, but in the winter...I let it run for a few mins, get the oil pressure good, and get the temp up a bit as well...Just to make sure the oil has gotten everywhere it needs to be...

Dont care if I freeze...just as long as the engine dont "seeze"

I know, I know, but I had to make it rhyme with "freeze"

5.9 R/T
01-29-2004, 01:05 AM
:repost: x elevendy billion

maximus
01-29-2004, 01:47 AM
For some reason VW dosn't suggest you start your car and leave it idling. When its cold out I do but only for a minute or so. It warms up faster when you drive it, I just go slower. I usually don't break 40-50 untill the engine temp gets out of cold zone. And I never romp on my car even in the summer untill the oil temp is high enough. In the winter I take a longer route to get to Crowchild so I can go 50 but I think that the extra 5 mins is worth it.

three.eighteen.
01-29-2004, 03:17 AM
i drive it away once the idle is steady, and keep the revs low until its at temperature

Fluidic
01-29-2004, 04:28 AM
I park underground. I do however let my car sit for 2 minutes (exactly) to let all the fluids to circulate or if I'm in a hurry... I just start and drive -- but slowly at that. :)

rc2002
01-29-2004, 09:59 AM
In this weather I don't even sit in my car until it's warm inside.

But I read that all you need is about 40 seconds to make sure the fluids have filled the engine internals. Maybe a bit longer if you don't plug your car in...

JordanLotoski
01-29-2004, 10:50 AM
man i wanna know how some people even make it outta bed every morning!!!

ecstasy_civic
01-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA

I hear ya man.
Sometimes common sense is better than other peoples opinions lol

DonJuan
01-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I hear that man, I my classes don't start until 10 am and it's still too early. Oh and usually I start the truck before I eat breakfast so it has at least 10-15 mins to warm up and so inside is nice and toasty.

GorG
01-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I was watching Top Gear not to long ago, the M3 ephisode, that car is so high tech, it wont let you shift into high RPM's if your engine isn't warm enough to handle it. That car is so high tech even a moron can drive it and take good care of it.

sputnik
01-29-2004, 03:47 PM

i wake up at 5am.. leave the house at 6am.. at my desk at work at 6:30am

ZorroAMG
01-29-2004, 03:59 PM
My car basically tells me when she's ready...when I start my car, the revs are up a little then after 2 min they drop down and settle...that's when I know she's good to go...foreplay guys...;)

hjr
01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
in my dads truck i just give 'er. haha. it has 335 000km on it and still doing fine. When i say give 'er i dont mean a race to the university, but i go and dont really let it go over 2 grand too much until warm. it only ever gets to about 60 degree's though in this frigid arctice weather were having in edmonton. in my car, i let it run a little bit (very little) and then drive slowely (like just slightly over 2 grand). but thats me.

GorG
01-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
My car basically tells me when she's ready...when I start my car, the revs are up a little then after 2 min they drop down and settle...that's when I know she's good to go...foreplay guys...;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA thats good stuff

Ajay
01-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I leave my car running in this type of weather for 10-20 minutes depending on how soon it is before I leave my house.

Right now I have my Compustar set on Timer mode. Starts up on it's own every 4 hours and runs for 20 minutes. I don't got a block heater so I don't mind wasting the gas I'm wasting as opposed to having a frozen block of ice!

GorG
01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
I leave my car running in this type of weather for 10-20 minutes depending on how soon it is before I leave my house.

Right now I have my Compustar set on Timer mode. Starts up on it's own every 4 hours and runs for 20 minutes. I don't got a block heater so I don't mind wasting the gas I'm wasting as opposed to having a frozen block of ice!

What!>!>! You can set your Compustar on a Timer mode?>?>? sheet i didnt know you could do that, i've had it for a year. how do you set up the timer for it to turn on?

Ajay
01-29-2004, 07:20 PM
On the back of the remote it should have a guide on how to set up the different options. With mine (blue remote) I hold down 2 and 4 for about half a second and it activates the timer mode and BAM....no need to plug in....course gas goes down the drain!!

1badPT
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
If I waited until my temp gauge showed any signs of life, I'd be waiting for half an hour. Heat is my engine's biggest enemy, but ironically it generates hardly any at idle. I start it up and wait just under a minute before going (plenty of time to circulate the fluids). If its really cold I'll wait until the block heats up a bit, thats it. When its plugged in, it gets the under a minute warmup.

Moe Man
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
i cant wait for my temp gauge to get to normal...........in this cold ass weather no matter how long you leave my car on the temp gauge will stay at 70 degrees celcius....and if i turn my heat on full blast it will drop bellow 70..........even my dads 1 tone V8 doesnt even reach operating temp

GorG
01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
On the back of the remote it should have a guide on how to set up the different options. With mine (blue remote) I hold down 2 and 4 for about half a second and it activates the timer mode and BAM....no need to plug in....course gas goes down the drain!!

Damn thanks a lot :thumbsup: You just saved my ass from freezeing outside. learn something new everyday

hockeybronx
01-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
:repost: x elevendy billion

I'm so sick of people like you on beyond. If you don't like the thread than click back and forget about it. The guy was just asking question and you try to act like an asshole. It's better to start a thread that may have been used before then post a stupid picture acting like you are the "beyond expert". If you got nothing better to do then don't post at all, your criticism didn't help the thread at all.

Since I have a VW I just let it idle for about a minute then drive it keeping the RPM's real low to let the engine warm up as I drive.

angierideswitme
01-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

I hear that man, I my classes don't start until 10 am and it's still too early. Oh and usually I start the truck before I eat breakfast so it has at least 10-15 mins to warm up and so inside is nice and toasty.

You do understand he was making fun of you guys.

5.9 R/T
01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I'm so sick of people like you on beyond. If you don't like the thread than click back and forget about it. The guy was just asking question and you try to act like an asshole. It's better to start a thread that may have been used before then post a stupid picture acting like you are the "beyond expert". If you got nothing better to do then don't post at all, your criticism didn't help the thread at all.

Since I have a VW I just let it idle for about a minute then drive it keeping the RPM's real low to let the engine warm up as I drive.

And I'm sick of reading the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Now if you don't like my post

Originally posted by hockeybronx
than click back and forget about it.
Its called the fucking search button, its bright red for a reason. NOW USE IT.

PS: These three threads were found in 30 seconds by using the search button. The fist one is EXACTLY like this one.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27905
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27966
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11484

ZorroAMG
01-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Chill 5.9...:)

maximus
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM

And I'm sick of reading the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Now if you don't like my post

Its called the fucking search button, its bright red for a reason. NOW USE IT.

PS: These three threads were found in 30 seconds by using the search button. The fist one is EXACTLY like this one.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27905
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27966
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11484

No offence but if you hate reading the same thing over and over why did you view the thread and post again after your initial post about the search??? Because to know that Hockeybronx had replied about you, you must have been reading the thread.

GorG
01-31-2004, 05:04 PM

And I'm sick of reading the same thing over and over and blah and blah and blah....Its called the fucking search button, its bright red for a reason. NOW USE IT.

Man you dont have to make such a big deal of it, say repost and thats it, it seems like this thread is distroying your life in someway. But yea i just started posting on beyond not to long ago, and i keep forgetting about the search button but i'm improving! :D, hopefully i wont post any more reposts. Hey AJay thanks a million with the compustar timer!!!, my trucks never been warmer:D :D :D :D

20incheyes
01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Warming your car up for 30 seconds is enough time, after that give it a couple of revs to warm up the oil, then go. 5-10 minute warmups are commonly believed to be much harsher on the engine then keeping it in low revs after a quick start.

GorG
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Really, i thought it was a good thing to wait 10-15 minutes for your car to heat up before you drive it, how would it be harsher then actually reving your car low, cuz if you leave it for 10-15 minutes its only at 1 -1.5 thousand rpm.

20incheyes
01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by GorG
Really, i thought it was a good thing to wait 10-15 minutes for your car to heat up before you drive it, how would it be harsher then actually reving your car low, cuz if you leave it for 10-15 minutes its only at 1 -1.5 thousand rpm.

You re spinning the engine with cold, thick oil temps which doesnt lubricate (protect) the engine well. Idling the engine hardly brings up the oil temps, therefore you are idling/spinning the engine with little protechtion. That is why they say if you just drive the car easy for a few minutes, you warm up the oil quicker, thus ggetting "good" oil through the lines..

GorG
02-01-2004, 03:57 AM
REally, i didnt know that i thought it was the other way around, thanks for the tip.

FiveFreshFish
02-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Warming up: I let her idle for 20 to 30 seconds and drive off slowly. I have an insulated garage and park in a heated underground lot at work.

Repost: A repost is a good thing in this case. Many people have not seen or posted in the previous threads, so this is an opportunity to do so. Opinions can change over time too.

EstoMax
02-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

thats exactly what i do :thumbsup:

max

rotar2
02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Repost: A repost is a good thing in this case. Many people have not seen or posted in the previous threads, so this is an opportunity to do so. Opinions can change over time too.

Best thing I've read here in a long time.