PDA

View Full Version : In what format did you buy your last music album?

Merritt
01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Hm interesting. Does that mean pirating is going down?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/motion-of-turntable-istock-584.jpg

According to Nielsen SoundScan, 3.9 million vinyl albums were sold in 2011.

For the first time ever, more music was sold via digital download than compact discs or any other physical media, accounting for 50.3 per cent of all music sold in 2011.

According to Nielsen SoundScan's end-of-year report, digital album sales exceeded 100 million copies sold, and accounted for nearly one out of every three (31 per cent) albums purchased in the year.

In contrast to the increasing move to iTunes and Amazon MP3, however, SoundScan reported that more vinyl records had been sold in 2011 than any previous year on record, with 3.9 million sales compared to last year's 2.8 million.

Total music sales overall were up 1.3 per cent compared to 2010 - the first yearly gain since 2004.

To CBC business commentator, host of the upcoming Redemption Inc. and self-professed music connoisseur Kevin O'Leary, the resurgence of vinyl couldn't be better for the music experience.

"It's softer, it's warmer and the bass is richer," O'Leary said Friday morning on CBC News Now. "I think we've dumbed down music [by] digitizing it. We've clipped the bass, we've made it very, very compact and hissy, and I think we've taken away from the great experience of vinyl record and I applaud this resurgence."

In June, we asked the CBC Community whether readers still bought music in stores. Out of nearly 3,000 respondents, 37 per cent said they mostly buy their music online.

Was the last music album you bought in digital or physical format? Do you prefer the classic experience of sitting down and listening to a vinyl record, or are all your playlists on iTunes or YouTube? Sound off in the comments section below.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/01/in-what-format-did-you-buy-your-last-music-album.html

Mar
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Last album I paid for was Eminem's Encore album when it first came out. Bought the CD in the mall.

OriginalGoods
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
CD

C_Dave45
01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
People pay for music??? :devil:

kvg
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
People pay for music??? :devil: :werd:

tobypaddock
01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
surprisingly my last 4 music purchases were CD's

Sublime: Greatest Hits

Mac Miller: Blue Slide Park

Yelawolf: Radioactive

and a Florence & The Machine CD for the old lady

buh_buh
01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Interestingly enough, LP.

msommers
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I still have yet to listen to a vinyl. Are the costs about the same as a CD?

Seth1968
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
People pay for music??? :devil:

Do people pay for your tiling talent?

Mibz
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
The article has no correlation with piracy and self-professed music connoisseurs are fucking hilarious.

Originally posted by Seth1968
Do people pay for your tiling talent? This thread went longer than I thought without that argument starting :P

supe
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Maybe the title should be changed from "In what format did you buy your last music album?" to "In what format did you acquire your last music album?"

rage2
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I wonder wtf is being released on vinyl, and who's buying them. I mean, I can't see a market for the higher audio experience of Party Rock Anthem on vinyl.

Kinda bizarre that people don't push for DTS CDs, DVD-A's, or other audio formats offering much better than CD quality audio. I guess it's such a small % of music buyers that actually care about audio quality it's not worth it.

JfuckinC
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I wonder wtf is being released on vinyl, and who's buying them. I mean, I can't see a market for the higher audio experience of Party Rock Anthem on vinyl.

Kinda bizarre that people don't push for DTS CDs, DVD-A's, or other audio formats offering much better than CD quality audio. I guess it's such a small % of music buyers that actually care about audio quality it's not worth it.

most hardcore/metal bands i listen to still release vinyl..

buh_buh
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I may be coming off as one of those old balls that always think the golden age of music was back in the day, but perhaps the reason for the resurgence of LPs is because music today fucking sucks. Either that or the number the hipsters now that think LPs are cool.

New LPs are a lot more expensive compared to CDs or digital format, but if you're looking for old records, you can get them used for as low as $1 per record.

Mibz
01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Either that or the number the hipsters now that think LPs are cool.

New LPs are a lot more expensive compared to CDs or digital format This is what I assume. People rage when CD's hit $20 but the equivalent vinyl will sell for $30 or more and people will pay it without question. I can't imagine manufacturing costs are much higher, if at all, so vinyl is more profitable, meaning labels will make more of it. Combine that with certain young demographics (and self-proclaimed connoisseurs) getting boners over vinyl and you get big sales.

I guess it's such a small % of music buyers that actually care about audio quality it's not worth it. I think you need to accept a rewording of that statement. Maybe something like "A small % of music buyers can (or pretend to) notice a difference between 44/16 and 96/24, and an even smaller proportion listen to music that will truly take advantage of it".

Otherwise I strongly disagree. The average listener nowadays will notice the difference between absolute shit and generally acceptable sound quality, but to insinuate that CD quality isn't better than "generally acceptable" and that listeners don't care about audio quality is pretty lame. Though not as lame as arguing about the difference between V0 and FLAC, which still manages to happen on a daily basis.

rage2
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I think you need to accept a rewording of that statement. Maybe something like "A small % of music buyers can (or pretend to) notice a difference between 44/16 and 96/24, and an even smaller proportion listen to music that will truly take advantage of it".
That's sorta what I meant.

Everyone can tell the difference betweeen 44/16 and 96/24 with the right type of music. Nobody needs to pretend. You're right tho, music choice is a huge factor. Popular music isn't very complex, so it's difficult to differentiate between 16 and 24 bit recordings of say, Niggas in Paris. :rofl:

Merritt
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Today's music is shit so I'm not surprised about the comeback of vinyls.

Sugarphreak
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Mibz
01-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I trust Mibz and his points of view just because he has an amplifier dial in his avatar My knowledge goes to 11. It's one more than 10.

EDIT: Thanks for making me look at my avatar and realize it still has a hat, ha.

rage2
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Interesting, my last purchase was a digital download, The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd double LP off iTunes a few weeks ago.

I'm such a redneck.

JRSC00LUDE
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
You can't be a hipster without a wicked cool vinyl collection. Even if it is music you don't like.

I bought a disc awhile ago, I've never bought music online yet.

Mibz
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
On topic, I used to buy albums for a few of my favourite bands to pretend I had the moral high ground with regards to piracy. Then I just stopped caring :P

I bought a couple Iron Maiden vinyls, but they're for collection, not listening. The rest of my vinyl collection is stuff inherited from my parents.

DannyO
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I can't remember what I bought as my last LP, but the last music I bought was MP3 and before that was Vinyl, but I have been buying vinyl since 1995/96, well not so much lately.

As for audio quality, like said it depends on what you are listening to, but also the system you are using it on, its easy to tell the difference between 128k and 320k mp3, but somewhat impossible (for me anyway) between 320k and a wave file, but put that on a high quality loud PA system and there is a huge difference, same with if you are using high end studio monitors and not the crap you buy from BB/FS.

As for vinyl, I find it has its own sound, not better or worse than CD, just different.

89s1
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
The last album I bought was Soundgarden - Superunknown. On a fancy new "compact disc"

95teetee
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
the last I bought was CD, not sure which one though (I'm thinking Doug & the Slugs 'Slugcology' online- and that was before Doug Bennett died [he sent me an autographed t-shirt], so it was several years ago).

CMW403
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Goblin - CD