PDA

View Full Version : Red light situation

sexualbanana
01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Coming home on Blackfoot Trail, I was going 60 (speed limit is 70) and the light turns yellow and red. I tried to brake when it turned yellow. But I started sliding and was quite sure I would've slid right into the middle of the intersection. So I just hit the gas hoping to just get through the intersection, and I continue sliding but eventually get through the intersection. Unfortunately for me there is a red light camera there and it snapped my plate.

Is there a point to fighting the ticket saying the conditions wouldn't allow me to stop on time? Or should I just bite the bullet?

I'd also want to add that another pick up went throught the intersection at the same time and there were 2 seperate flashes. Maybe that makes a difference.

ryder_23
01-29-2004, 01:12 AM
^
they'd probably say, if you cant stop, then you wernt driving to the conditions etc...

Weapon_R
01-29-2004, 01:12 AM
If it only snapped once with you, there isn't a need to worry too much.

maximus
01-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
^
they'd probably say, if you cant stop, then you wernt driving to the conditions etc...
Ya people were concerned about how they would treat these situations in the winter since its slippery when the first snowfall hit. The cop (on the news) said that the weater is no excuse. You should be able to stop because you should be driving for the conditions...after all the speed limit is for ideal conditions.

Hope you didn't get one.

Moonracer
01-29-2004, 01:31 AM
Yeah but if you are past your point of no return then you have to go through and he was going 10k under the limit. Yellow means clear the intersection or stop if you are able to so he should fight it.

euro tang
01-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If it only snapped once with you, there isn't a need to worry too much.

really? how does it make a difference?

maximus
01-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Yeah but if you are past your point of no return then you have to go through and he was going 10k under the limit. Yellow means clear the intersection or stop if you are able to so he should fight it.

The cameras are timed so that you can go through the yellow. They only take your pic if its a (i believe the term is hard red???) blatent red light, not if you go through a yellow.

Go ahead and try and fight it. You only have time to lose but don't be dissapointed if you get nowhere.

Zero102
01-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Okie dokie.
Red Light Camera's work by taking 2 pictures, one as you enter the intersection, another as you exit (well a little after, then before technically), to prove that you went through the light, or atleast entered the intersection completely.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to win a fight against that ticket, because, like the cops said on the news, if you can't stop, you are driving too fast.
Moonracer, if you are going 10k under, then your point of no return is later.
so if you went past your point of no return for 60kph, but were going 50kph, that would be wrong, and wouldn't be an excuse for running the light.
You're better off going in saying your car was on fire and you were trying to put it out =)

Kaos
01-29-2004, 01:57 AM
I was bout to say the same thing but less technically.
In Vancouver I got one and they send you 2 photos proving that you ran the red before the line and then proving it by another picture of you in the middle of the intersection. I am guessin they do the same in calgary too

Originally posted by Zero102
Okie dokie.
Red Light Camera's work by taking 2 pictures, one as you enter the intersection, another as you exit (well a little after, then before technically), to prove that you went through the light, or atleast entered the intersection completely.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to win a fight against that ticket, because, like the cops said on the news, if you can't stop, you are driving too fast.
so if you went past your point of no return for 60kph, but were going 50kph, that would be wrong, and wouldn't be an excuse for running the light.
You're better off going in saying your car was on fire and you were trying to put it out =)

sexualbanana
01-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah there were 2 snaps. I just figured it was because there was also another car right beside me that was in the intersection

Moonracer
01-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Okie dokie.

Yes your point of no return would be later by going slower but don't forget the slippery roads where he was going under the limit! In which case the point of no return is farther back. If it's excessively slick then they may be leanient...lol It's a bit of a long shot but it's worth giving POINTS a call.

theken
01-29-2004, 03:12 AM
your cars not fast enough to hit 60 on blackfoot
I smell :bullshit:
:rofl: :rofl:

max_boost
01-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Don't you have snow tires and ABS? That's weird how you didn't brake in time especially when you are going under the limit:dunno:

I think you are SOL

G
01-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Just go fight it. My friend got one for running a yellow. He didn't even have to come up with an excuse. He told me that there was a chart on the wall that they use to reduce the ticket by certain amounts. He paid a little over $100 for a $250 ticket.

Zero102
01-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Lol, a chart, I didn't know that.
Hrm, just for fighting it, we give him.... 40% off.
Oh, and a coupon for a free big mac =)

cbr_ryder
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
^

:werd:

frostyda9
01-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I think the whole argument about the later braking point is moot....your point of no return may be later but it cancels out because you have less momentum to scrub off. If you honestly tried to stop for the light and couldn't, you WERE driving too fast for conditions.

^SkylinE^
01-29-2004, 05:27 PM
How dirty was your car at the time!!!!! maybe they won't be able to make out the plate number!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
01-29-2004, 07:34 PM
A cop can give out a violation at any speed.

If he thinks 50km/h is too fast for a snowy day, technically he can give you a ticket (will that hold up is another matter).

If you ran the red @ full speed, you get ticketed for sure. No arguing about it.

Zero102
01-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Seems to me there is a ticket for driving too fast for conditions, so Xtrema, you are correct, and I believe that ticket in specific would hold up in court.

Akagi Redsuns
01-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Just talk to the CP, explain the situation. Maybe take a printout of the weather for that day. You will get a break anyways, at the least you save a few $$$$.

hockeybronx
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Why not try and fight it? Just tell them the situation and you may just get lucky. I'm with you though, those red light cameras make me absolutely paranoid.

Who knows maybe your plate was dirty and the camera couldn't pick it up, you never know!

Kaos
01-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

If he thinks 50km/h is too fast for a snowy day, technically he can give you a ticket (will that hold up is another matter).

If you ran the red @ full speed, you get ticketed for sure. No arguing about it.

I think he got a REDLIGHT ticket, not a ticket from an officer.
just wanted to point that out.

5.9 R/T
01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
If it works anything like photo radar maybe you won't get a ticket because there is another car in the photo?

sexualbanana
01-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
If it works anything like photo radar maybe you won't get a ticket because there is another car in the photo?

That's what I'm thinking right now.

maximus
01-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's what I'm thinking right now.

Man RELAX.....you don't even know if you got it yet. Don't worry about it untill it comes in the mail. Don't you have other stuff to worry about?
:tongue:

sexualbanana
01-30-2004, 01:35 AM
I'm not overly stressed about it, but I'd be lying if I said it's not on my mind in some way.

Foz
01-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Screw 'em. Just cuz they don't have snow tires and can't grip the roads don't mean we should get tickets.

Originally posted by Xtrema