PDA

View Full Version : Korean Villiage (10th ave SW strip mall)

me_dennis
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I must say this is probably my new favorite Korean restaurant in the city. Seoul used to be my goto place, but Korean Village wins.

You can find this place in the corner of the strip mall where Arirang Foods is. I believe this restaurant used to be called something different, with different owners.

On an unrelated note, there's a Karaoke bar in the same strip mall that's pretty good. Still nice and clean (ie, the menus dont smell like soju and puke, and you don't have to peel the pages apart to get to the next page :barf: )

The Gamjatang, or pork bone soup, is amazing. Meat is fall off the bone tender, meaning they stew the soup for hours, making the soup very hearty and delicious. Perfect for a cold winter day to warm you to your bones.

They've also got this other dish, the name escapes me since I'm not korean. But it's like a spicy and sweet fried chicken dish. Tastes unbelievable.

Prices are fairly reasonable, for Calgary Korean restaurant standards.

Anyone have any favorite Korean joints in the city?

benyl
01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
The problem with korean village is the amount of MSG they use to make it taste so good. I always feel like crap after eating there.

cdnsir
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
The real problem with Korean village is that weird hostess/cashier lady with the big glasses there. She freaks me right out..

jav_
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
That lady cried cuz we asked for a pitcher of water :banghead:

Xtrema
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
how long has the current owner been there?

Last I went was 3 years ago and they were very stingy with side dishes.

benyl
01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Korean Village was behind the mustard seed.

The mustard seed tore down the building and so they had to move. They bought Seoul Restaurant in the current location and then changed the name.

winson2001
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Korean Villiage was my fav, but after they reopened, some of their stuff went double in price... i understand they havent adjusted their price for long long time before they move... but double the price just turns me away from it:dunno:

ApexDrift
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
The real problem with Korean village is that weird hostess/cashier lady with the big glasses there. She freaks me right out..

I saw her yelling at the rice cooker once, like having a full on conversation but i Havant seen her there in ages.

anyways best Gamjatang in town i found is at Donday, beside crack max down town, now you got me thinking about sumgulpsol (sp?) now...:drool:

blibbertibs
01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Last time i went, maru in downtown has $10 AYCE gamja tang.