PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have those automatic litter boxes?

spikerS
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
As some of you are aware, I rescued a cat from the Calgary Humane Society a few days back, held a naming contest here on Beyond, and Bailey is doing fantastic adjusting to life with me. This cat purrs like a monster though, it makes me giggle, as something so loud should not come from something that small...

Anyways, I was looking to get one of those automatic litter box cleaners. I don't have any issues with cleaning the litter box daily myself, but I am wondering if these things are any good, or perform like they should, so I am looking for some real world people that may have them now, or had them in the past, and what they thought of them.

Cheers!

Cos
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM

GQBalla
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
When I had a cat I would clean daily too. I just couldn't justify spending over a hundred for something that took me 2 minutes

Tik-Tok
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
I use pine litter, and dump it every week. I don't scoop everyday like you have to with clay, because the pine takes care of the smell...except when he takes a ferocious "decided to eat dog food" dump, then I reach in with a plastic bag and dump it in the toilet :rofl:

Sorry I'm of no use to your question on automatic boxes... my ways just easier (for me)

colinxx235
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Daily? We clean ours every 7-10 days or when he starts to meow a certain way.

wow, 7-10 days? that seems pretty steep.

we usually do the duty every 2-3 days depending I guess. I know quite a few people do the daily thing.

TomcoPDR
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Just potty train her

EmHQoHya8uI&feature=related

Kloubek
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I had one, and I don't know if it was the kind of crappy litter we used or the fact I didn't replace the old litter ever, but it didn't take long before mine broke. I figure it was only operational for a month, tops. A $100 waste, imo - and it was noisy as fuck.

So instead I purchased a regular litter box which was disgusting in a matter of a day or two. So I cleaned it once a week.

sk8r3124
01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Just potty train her

THIS!!!

Makes Condo living so much easier.
Took maybe a month to get the hang of it. Slips up every once in a while, but just like in Uni, 80% aint so bad

codetrap
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
How the hell do you potty train a cat?

whiskas
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I use this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/PetSupplies/CatCare/PRD~0425398P/Roll+Away+Cat+Litter+Box.jsp?locale=en

Combined with flushable litter it is much much faster than the old scoop method. Only downside is that every 6 months of so you gotta give it a good clean out since little chunks of litter get stuck in between the grate.

adam c
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
although not automatic we use this one
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217936&lmdn=Cat

barely any smell plus since we have a toddler it keeps her from playing in it

bignerd
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Ewww. I thought I was bad when I use to let it go three days...

Cos
01-11-2012, 08:42 PM

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Rolling litter boxes work great. Just used a decent clumping litter and off you go.

I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes haha. Yah, im that cat guy.

DeeK
01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Ok a few things...

1) Clay cat litter is actually toxic to cats. Or rather, not so much the litter itself, but the dust it kicks up is harmful to them... I use a wood based clumping litter instead. It's better for them, and cheaper. Plus, wood keeps the smell down as well.

2) Automatic cat litter boxes, do your research. Most of them are crap.
http://www.catgenie.com/
That's the best one on the market, it does everything except wipe the cat's ass. It's expensive, and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't plan on staying in the same house for a while. you have to connect it to plumbing.

topmade
01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Sister had one and it was a POS (not Point of sale :D). I don't know if it was the stuff my sister was feeding it but crap would get stuck on the forks and you would have to clean it once a day or it would stink.

speedog
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Being in the retail pet supply business as well as a long time cat owner, a few things to ponder... Clumping litters have not been proven to be toxic although there is considerable debate over this
Automatic litter boxes are for the most part troublesome and also more expensive to operate - what with most of them requiring certain types of litters/bags
All litter boxes will eventually need thorough cleanings
Personally, we are currently using Swheat Scoop litter, a clumping wheat based litter - this came about as a direct result of seeing what many of our customers were requesting and/or using. Certainly not the cheapest out there, but it has amazing odor control albeit at an exchange for slightly less clumping capabilities than other clumping litters. Previous to Swheat Scoop, we used World's Best (clumping corn litter - great clumping, not as good odor control, expensive), before that clumping clay and before that regular clay. Any of our cats in the past have lived to ripe old ages (15+), so the type of liter IMHO didn't seem to affect our cat's health or longevity.

Also popular in our shop are pine litter, probably our best seller, has amazing odor control but doesn't clump and will need regular changing - very cost effective though for the consumer. Clumping clay is also very popular and some customers use the silica based litters - can't provide any personal feedback on this stuff.

As for the automatic litter boxes, I wouldn't recommend one. Can be noisy, cats may be freaked out by them, can be troublesome and they'll still require regular cleaning to remain odor free over time. Also, many of these automatic litter boxes will require certain litters and/or bags and the bags may be difficult to source as well as being expensive.

Best thing is to get an tall Rubbermaid Roughneck storage box and use that as a litter box (without the lid of course) - the tall sides will prevent a lot of litter from being kicked out and they're cheaper than most regular run of the mill litter boxes. Hell, we sell litter boxes and we use these Rubbermaid boxes as litter boxes at home. Also, just regularly scooping the box will make a huge difference in the complete litter change-outs on your box and having one more litter box than you have cats is also recommended. Finally, stay away from the fancy curved or round litter boxes - big, square rectangular is best.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh, something else though spikers, since you were thinking of an automatic box... I HIGHLY suggest an automatic feeder. We feed our cat 2 small portions a day, one at 7am, the other at 7pm. The great thing about it, is that your cat will never wake you up to be fed when you want to sleep in.

It's noisy as hell, but the noise alerts him it's feeding time, no matter where he's lurking in the house. Before we got it, he used to jump on my chest at 7am on my days off, since I'd feed him at 7am on my workdays... no more of that, lol.

Maybe don't pick it up right away, as it is a good bonding thing between you and your cat since you've just met. You want him to know that YOU are the hand that feeds, not the machine. But think about it in 6 months or so.

88CRX
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Any issues with changing from a hooded box with no swinging door to one with a swinging door? Think the cat would adjust ok?

And I empty mine almost daily or else it smells. I don't know how you could possibly wait a week! My cat uses the damn thing like 3-4 times a day haha. I also empty it if I'm home and he decide to dump as he likes to keep them fresh and not bury them haha.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Any issues with changing from a hooded box with no swinging door to one with a swinging door? Think the cat would adjust ok?

Any I empty mine almost daily or else it smells. I don't know how you could possibly wait a week! My cat uses the damn thing like 3-4 times a day haha.

Do you use pine, or clay? Pine makes it almost stink free (except when it's freshly laid)

88CRX
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Do you use pine, or clay? Pine makes it almost stink free (except when it's freshly laid)

Clay, I've tried a bunch of different ones but use Arm & Hammer Double Duty. I find it kills most odour and still clumps half decently.

GQBalla
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
i tried the pine one and the shit stuck to my kitty for some reason.

Switching to a hooded one shouldn't be too bad, just show the kitty where it is.

they are very smart

n1zm0
01-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:werd: every garbage day or whenever it gets bad news bears, if you cleaned the whole catbox daily, you'll be spending lots on litter i bet.

i actually don't clean it very much lol, the gf does cause it's her cat, but i've had to do it enough times to know what it's like, as well as chasing the little fker around the back yard with tissue paper and warm water to wipe his ass from the explosive ds once in awhile.

Go4Long
01-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Oh, something else though spikers, since you were thinking of an automatic box... I HIGHLY suggest an automatic feeder. We feed our cat 2 small portions a day, one at 7am, the other at 7pm. The great thing about it, is that your cat will never wake you up to be fed when you want to sleep in.

Do they make an automatic feeder that works for wet cat foods?

My wife had her cat when we met, so unfortunately it's been there longer than me or it would have gotten the boot long ago. I really don't want to move it to our new house.

Fuckin thing wanders around the house meowing at 5:30 in the morning every day waiting for you to feed him...does the same thing around 5:00 in the afternoon, and sometimes at random other intervals for no apparent reason.

The thing almost died last year, it got really sick and the vets had no idea what it was, they just perscribed him steroids as a hail mary, and unfortunately the little bastard got better. Maybe next time.

speedog
01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

Do they make an automatic feeder that works for wet cat foods?

My wife had her cat when we met, so unfortunately it's been there longer than me or it would have gotten the boot long ago. I really don't want to move it to our new house.

Fuckin thing wanders around the house meowing at 5:30 in the morning every day waiting for you to feed him...does the same thing around 5:00 in the afternoon, and sometimes at random other intervals for no apparent reason.

The thing almost died last year, it got really sick and the vets had no idea what it was, they just perscribed him steroids as a hail mary, and unfortunately the little bastard got better. Maybe next time. Here's one (http://www.petsafe.net/products/feeders-and-waterers/feeding-systems/2-meal-timed-pet-feeder) - mixed reviews on it though. Says dry food only, but I suspect canned food would work in it as well - problem would be leaving canned food out for an extended amount of time.

SJW
01-14-2012, 12:22 PM
anyone want a cat? We have to get rid of ours due to my son's health.

Go4Long
01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SJW
anyone want a cat? We have to get rid of ours due to my son's health.

sorry to hear that man...that your son isn't well I mean. I'm actually a little jealous that you're managing to get rid of the cat :poosie:

Cos
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM

SJW
01-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

sorry to hear that man...that your son isn't well I mean. I'm actually a little jealous that you're managing to get rid of the cat :poosie:

The only reason this cat isn't on the business end of my .22 ruger s22 is that I don't want to see a side of my wife i've never seen before.

Go4Long
01-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Sounds like someone could make good money hiring themselves out as a cat hitman...just sayin.

SJW
01-15-2012, 07:10 AM
It's an indoor cat. If it was an outdoor (asshole) cat it would have been gone shortly after she moved in with me.

4lti
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey spikers if you want a toilet training kit they sell them at Big Als fish store on 32nd. (Yes they sell more then just fish supplies now)

http://www.yourpetessentials.com/files/1916226/uploaded/DoogieWithProduct.jpg Kinda like this one

They have a toilet seat adapter kit that makes the hole in the seat smaller for the kitty. As the cat progresses in its training you change the adapters to bigger sizes until you dont need to use them anymore.

ekguy
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
OR people could just avoid getting pets if they won't want them later...just sayin.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
OR people could just avoid getting pets if they won't want them later...just sayin.

I think all the cat haters in this thread are the ones who's current girlfriends/wives had the cat before them.

SJW
01-15-2012, 02:28 PM

I think all the cat haters in this thread are the ones who's current girlfriends/wives had the cat before them.

This and my son has lung issues. I fucking hate cats, i'm not going to lie.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SJW

This and my son has lung issues. I fucking hate cats, i'm not going to lie.

Most cats are assholes. Some are fucking awesome though. You should definitely be using pine for your box though if your son has lung issues, clay is garbage, dust particles get caught in fur, and can easily transfer to your kid.

SJW
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Most cats are assholes. Some are fucking awesome though. You should definitely be using pine for your box though if your son has lung issues, clay is garbage, dust particles get caught in fur, and can easily transfer to your kid.

Or i could just introduce this to kitty.

http://www.flyfishcalgary.com/ruger5.jpg

Go4Long
01-15-2012, 05:47 PM

definitely my case...I've hated the cat since day 1, but I love the wife, so I put up with it until I can find a way to disappear it. :poosie:

SJW
01-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds like we could start up a business gofor.