PDA

View Full Version : FS: Moose Antlers & Mule deer trophy

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Finally cleaning my parents place out. Father passed away and a few things left that we thought we'd try to find homes for. Bit of a wierd place with this. My Dad was an avid hunter and I was never really much into it.

1. Moose Antlers.

This is the antlers mounted to the skull covered in velvet. No head or it would be insanely huge. My dad loved these things, not my thing but each to their own. They are huge. I've seen smaller trophies before that are tiny. I don't know how to adequately size them but I believe they are 14-16 points around and the width is just crazy. I will post pics for those interested. Weighs a good 80-100 lbs. It is a larger trophy size.

Asking price. $600. I called a few places in Calgary that suggested a price range of $1,200+ would likely be appropriate but for us we just want to find them a new home.

2. Mule Deer Trophy.

Believe 9 points total, 5 on one side, 4 on the other. It's full head, partial body. In great shape. Asking $100 for it.

Again for those interested I can post pictures.

s_havinga
01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
throw up some pictures, I might know a guy...

2ndgenlude
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
i would be careful about selling them. i work in the industry and selling wildlife even in mounted form can get you into big trouble. i would check with fish and wildlife before doing anything.

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
It can't get you in trouble when they were legally obtained. My father obtained both. I have already contacted fish and wildlife regarding this.

The legal issue comes into place when people are attempting to sell animals that were taken without a tag. In situations like those though people are quite often just selling the antlers which apparently some people tend to use in art.

Either way I'll try to post some pictures up on Friday. The moose antlers I have contacted a few companies and the value of large moose antlers seems crazy to me. Many places have informed me the value of the set I'm selling falls between $1200-$2000. Again though, I just want these to find a new home.

Plan on using the funds to help my mother into a place she can hopefully afford. She fell ill after my father passed away and I've been taken care of her ever since.

2ndgenlude
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
it can and will get you into trouble even if legally obtained. mounted deer need to be registered with F&W for sale and once they are a metal tag will be fixed to the antlers on both sides. after that its a period of 3 years after its registered for sale till you can actually sell it. i have talked to most f&w officers in the city about it and many other jurisdictions since i deal with them on a daily basis all over canada. i import and export hunting trophies all over the world, im pretty sure i know what im talking about. but its up to you, im just giving out info.

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Man you are so right you must be right. The issue with fish and wildlife is that they only legally "own" wildlife obtained in Alberta. The fine print set out by AFW has a few issues. Mainly these weren't obtained in Alberta. They were obtained in Sask.

Either way I did call to check on the status.

pea_soup
01-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Just for those curious. We are able to buy a $10 permit to sell these items as they were willed to us. It's one of the few situations where selling them is completely allowed under the law as you aren't doing it as a commercial enterprise.

In this case specifically I'm doing it to raise funds for my mother.