PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/fear of taking prescriptions

adam c
01-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Does anyone else suffer from this?

Super_Geo
01-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I take as few man made drugs as possible. If you exercise, have healthy eating habbits and get enough rest your immune system is functioning as well as it should be.

dj_rice
01-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I kinda do. I'm not able to just swallow pills straight up. I always mentally think I will gag and can't swallow.

I have to either chew up a bit of banana and slide pill into it or same idea with a piece of bread.

Only way I can get pills down

adam c
01-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I take as few man made drugs as possible. If you exercise, have healthy eating habbits and get enough rest your immune system is functioning as well as it should be.

i try to avoid them like the plague if i can but sometimes it's not possible, as right now i'm suffering from this horrible spinning head sensation, doctors keep telling me it's viral and there's nothing they can do, it should last between 7 more days and a month. It's affecting my work now with me missing the past few days so I need something to try and make it manageable.

But I have the unfortunate problem that I feel like I'm going to get all the side effects and end up with anxiety when taking them, I'm not sure if I have a (hyper?)sensitivity to drugs as I always seem to get one of the side effects

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by adam c

i try to avoid them like the plague if i can but sometimes it's not possible, as right now i'm suffering from this horrible spinning head sensation, doctors keep telling me it's viral and there's nothing they can do, it should last between 7 more days and a month. It's affecting my work now with me missing the past few days so I need something to try and make it manageable.

But I have the unfortunate problem that I feel like I'm going to get all the side effects and end up with anxiety when taking them, I'm not sure if I have a (hyper?)sensitivity to drugs as I always seem to get one of the side effects

What was the virus ?
I had something similar a few weeks ago and my doc said it was caused by fluid in my inner ear and just told me to take some sudafed to clear up my sinuses and gravol to help with the dizzyness.

adam c
01-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

What was the virus ?
I had something similar a few weeks ago and my doc said it was caused by fluid in my inner ear and just told me to take some sudafed to clear up my sinuses and gravol to help with the dizzyness.

no idea what it is, they haven't run any tests except the follow my finger, balance and coordination tests, just said it's something viral, last week i had some pain in my right ear for a couple days but that's long gone

i took gravol but the sedative properties mixed with the dizzyness made things even worse

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
hmm well my doc swabbed my throat for viral meningitis or something, but never called me back so I'm assuming it was negative.

adam c
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
hmm well my doc swabbed my throat for viral meningitis or something, but never called me back so I'm assuming it was negative.

from what i know they need to do a spinal tap to check for meningitis not do a throat swab

Kardon
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I kinda do. I'm not able to just swallow pills straight up. I always mentally think I will gag and can't swallow.

I have to either chew up a bit of banana and slide pill into it or same idea with a piece of bread.

Only way I can get pills down
I had a similar problem when I was younger, I think I used a box of frisk mints to get used to popping pills.

Davetronz
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Does anyone else suffer from this?
Yeah I'm pretty similar to what you've described. I absolutely hate taking any sort of prescription or drug. Sometimes it comes down to a pros/cons type of situation before I'll take the damn stuff. In the end, I usually just tough it out and try to do non-medicinal suggestions.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

:werd:

I avoid prescription, though I'll take them if I have to. It's not a fear or anything, I've just never liked taking pills, lol.

That being said, with my history, I should probably be on some kind of anti-depressant :rofl: :cry: :rofl: :cry:

revelations
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I also avoid drugs if all possible, but having said that, if I DO need to take some minor anti-bacterial medicine I find that I feel super energized after the course of the drug for a few weeks after..... above my normal pre-illness levels :dunno:

(I wonder if I am suffering from some constant low-level infection)

msommers
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
That being said, with my history, I should probably be on some kind of anti-depressant :rofl: :cry: :rofl: :cry:

Try taking in more Vitamin D. A SAD alarm clock helps me immensely in the winter months.

I too try to avoid any sort of medication. Even the worst hangovers I don't take anything and just let it ride. The only stuff I'll take is Buckley's and Nyquill when I have a really bad cold. Although I do take a multivitamin every day. Says 6 pills/day but I only take 3, 6 seems like overkill and probably a waste of money.

We consume so many antibiotics and general crap in our food as it is, I don't want to be adding to the problem with medications. I've cut out energy drinks, especially when I drink. They'd help me party like a machine and I'd be less hungover in the morning but they have to be just terrible for you. I'm quite convinced that exercise, eating well and getting enough sleep will deter most problems.

revelations
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
^ Energy drinks do help in moderation for certain activities. Also, you can dilute them by quite a margin to avoid most of the sugar dump they provide.

I'm not talking about Monster, but stuff that has little sugar and a lot of electrolyte (I find potassium is what I need the most).

adam c
01-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Well here's an update, Monday night I took a prescription called Zithromax, about an hour after taking it my throat started to get a rash, i ran down to the pharmacy but by the time i got there i was developing hives and a lump in my throat. the pharmacist looked at me and immediately grabbed some benydryl and had me take some, i soon felt better and went to the hospital to make sure i would be ok...

tuesday at 1pm my throat started to swell again, i made it to the south calgary urgent care just in time, they basically threw me in the back and injected me with everything but the kitchen sink to stop the anaphylaxis reaction i was having

i am now required to carry and epipen wherever i go 24/7

msommers
01-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I carry an epi-pen as well. When I was younger my Mom gave me Benydryl before we headed to Emerg. Apparently the doctor reemed her out because that actually makes things worse. After my last reaction, I can definitely attest to that. What they injected you with was likely just epinephrine.

It's rather odd that you were given an epi-pen though. I mean, it's not likely a regular occurence that you'd be taking this prescription or be accidently given it. What in that prescription was it that caused you to react? Do they even know?

Abeo
01-19-2012, 07:37 PM

i am now required to carry and epipen wherever i go 24/7

Could be worse. I know a guy who has to carry an epi-pen from beer