PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sleepy or fatigued in the afternoons?

TsMortgages
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
In the past I have often found myself feeling tired and fatigued, mainly in the afternoons while at work. One of the main things you can do to avoid this is the obvious... Get a good night sleep. But this is not always the solution and there is plenty more that can be done to avoid this agonising feeling. For myself and im sure most of you, an afternoon nap at your desk is just not an option. As much as we would like it to be. So I decided to do a little research on staying more alert through out the work day and tips on getting a good, solid night`s sleep. Here is what I have come up with, enjoy:

1. Make sure you eat a good healthy breakfast in the morning! Research shows people who eat a good breakfast in the morning feel better both physically and mentally throughout the day! It can also reduce the stress hormone!

2. Eat 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks through out the day, or eat every 3 to 4 hours. This helps to stabilise your blood sugar and energy levels through out the day.

3. Fill up on more fiber. Fiber has a time-releasing effect on carbs, so they enter your bloodstream at a slow and steady pace, giving your energy staying power.

4. Found in fatty fish (such as tuna and salmon), walnuts, and canola oil, Omega-3`s are essential fatty acids that play a role in keeping brain cells healthy and helping you feel mentally alert. Eat some!

5. Drink plenty of water. Mild dehydration can actually cause fatigue due to an increase in thickness of the blood causing your heart to work harder!

6. Stop drinking coffee in the afternoon. This sounds counter productive, however Consuming caffeine in the afternoons or evenings can negatively affect your sleep at night, leaving you feeling fatigued the following day.

7. Listen to music. Seriously... Good music can wake you up, get the blood pumping and your favourite songs can change your mood from bad to good in a matter of minutes, Try it!

8. Computers and T.V`s off after 8 pm. The bright lights (White ones especially) emitted from your TV and computer can reduce the production of melatonin, a hormone that tells your body when it`s night time.

9.Lower the thermostat. Make sure your room is a comfortable cool temperature, cool enough for a light blanket. Your body`s internal temperature actually lowers while you are asleep so its a good idea to keep your environment in sync with this.

10. Hit the gym. Exercise has been proven to help you fall asleep at night faster, spend more hours in REM or deep sleep and wake up less often through out the night. Resulting in feeling much more rested and energised the next day!

11. Get things off your mind. For most of us we start to worry about all our problems, fears and issues when we hit the sack. This can be work related or in our personal life. Try this exercise: Spend 15 minutes every night before bed to focus on your worries and what is bothering you. During these 15 minutes write down on a blank sheet of paper or in a journal everything and anything that comes to mind. When the time is up turn the lights out. This can really help you to relax at night and ease the mind, knowing that it is all written down and you can come back to your worries in the morning. allot of the time we worry we will forget about whats on our mind in the morning, if it is written down, you will never forget it.

12. Crack open a book. last but not least, another solution to getting worries off your mind if you are not into keeping a journal is reading. You would be amazed how the mind can forget about all your worries and things stressing you out when you read before bed. If you are reading something you are enjoying, this can work very effectively. It has for me, I have woken up in the middle of the night on more than one occasion with my book flopped on my chest. Its just another simple and effective way to shut it all off.

Hope you enjoy my fatigue and sleeping tips. Would love to hear some to hear some of your comments!

Ts

hurrdurr
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Great job on the google search

Seth1968
01-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Would love to hear some to hear some of your comments!

OK. Fuck off

TsMortgages
01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
Great job on the google search

Thanks, lots of useful info on google

TsMortgages
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

OK. Fuck off

I forgot to mention, Comments from intelligent people only.

max_boost
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by TsMortgages

I forgot to mention, Comments from intelligent people only.

You are on the wrong site bro.

TsMortgages
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
hahaha apparently

Dumbass17
01-14-2012, 01:09 AM
i do all of those things but 3, and i still get exhausted in the afternoon

HHURICANE1
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I think my meth addiction may be affecting my sleep. Any recommendations?

J-hop
01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
M.D Arashi??? Haha, jk, interesting fact regarding your music comment, although your favorite music might change your mood, classical music is the only music with scientific proof behind it for keeping you awake.

msommers
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Common knowledge to most but a good remainder regardless. You can also take Melatonin pills before bed to help jet lag and irregular sleep cyclicity.

zipdoa
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I think my meth addiction may be affecting my sleep. Any recommendations?

More meth.

TsMortgages
01-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Common knowledge to most but a good remainder regardless. You can also take Melatonin pills before bed to help jet lag and irregular sleep cyclicity.

I have heard good things about the Melatonin pills from my Doctor, good tip!

bourge73
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
More WEED. Not a little, alot. End of thread k thanks bye.

Skyline_Addict
01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Waiting for Arashi MD to respond with obscure claims and never fulfilling his goals.

Mar
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I researched this a while ago as well, I found I was getting slightly anemic which brings symptoms of exhaustion. I'd keep a package of dried fruit at my desk for a blast of iron after lunch and I stopped feeling tired.

Toma
01-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Biggest thing for me is eating lower carbs.

The afternoon tired bit is a fluctuation in blood sugar most of the time.

Stay low carb, high fat, and it will help a lot.
Breakfast is important, but a low carb one REALLY helps with fatigue later.

REAL lemon juice before a meal also reduces blood sugar/insulin swing.

Or, with lunch, you could just pop a modafinil or two ;)

Hallowed_point
01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Take some ZMA (Zinc , Magnesium, B6) 30 minutes before bed once and a while, you will feel really refreshed in the a.m. Only trick is avoid Calcium and I wouldn't do it every night, just when you're really bagged and have 7-8 hrs to sleep.

J-hop
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Take some ZMA (Zinc , Magnesium, B6) 30 minutes before bed once and a while, you will feel really refreshed in the a.m. Only trick is avoid Calcium and I wouldn't do it every night, just when you're really bagged and have 7-8 hrs to sleep.

Interested as to why to avoid calcium?

Hallowed_point
01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

Interested as to why to avoid calcium?

The Calcium inhibits absorption of the zinc

max_boost
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I think the solution is simple, take a nap in the afternoons and come back and finish your work later (if possible) haha

taemo
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
i don't like playing chemistry with my body balancing nutrients and what not but here's what I to fight sleepiness and fatigue after lunch..

go for a quick walk, even 5 minutes do wonders, stairs are excellent.

socialize with people, quick chat with co-workers

stay hydrated with water

take a nice dump :)

Sugarphreak
01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Seth1968
01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

But the Zinc will interfere with the metabolism and absorption of other essential minerals in your body, most especially iron, magnesium and copper!

You found this on a web site selling what?

I love wings and beer, but deep down, I know this is truth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

Sugarphreak
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Canucks3322
01-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Not many people can so this, but I eat lunch for half hour and take a power nap the rest of my lunch...