PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Cancun, Mexico mid April

mdeleon
01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi, I don't watch too much news but I'm planning a trip to Cancun, Mexico in mid April. I was told that it isn't a good time to go to Mexico right now because tourists have been getting killed and such. I was wondering if there is any truth to this and if so, if these incidents are happening in Cancun.

cmyden
01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Irrational fear. Your drive to the airport is 10,000X more likely to result in your death. So is eating a Big Mac.

mdeleon
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Ya that's what I was thinking too. I searched the web for any info but couldn't find anything recent. It was all about the drug wars and that happens closer to the US border, not in Cancun. But the person saying its dangerous says she saw it on the news. It's a friend's mother so she might not let my buddy go if she sticks to her guns lol.

vengie
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
How is the weather in mexico end of April beginning of may?? I'd like to take a trip before I head back up north for the summer...

mdeleon
01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
I went mid April in 2008. Weather was good, it never rained. Good times!

lasimmon
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
You probably be fine. Although of all the tourist spots cancun is probably the most dangerous. I went in April 2011 and our room got broken into.

mdeleon
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Oh really? Which resort? I've been to Cancun already too, we didn't have any problems at our resort, Grand Oasis. That's prob where we'll be staying at again.

msouther
01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Cancun isn't the most dangerous. If anything, Acapulco would be as it is closer to where the drug battles are occuring. I just spent a week in Acapulco too and I am alive and well. My advice to you is just like I would give to anybody looking for a good time, whether in Canada, Mexico or wherever. Don't be an idiot and look for trouble and you'll have fun. Most people who are injured at bars etc. or in Mexico were getting lippy with locals, looking for drugs and such. Cancun is beautiful and you will have an awesome time.

lasimmon
01-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by mdeleon
Oh really? Which resort? I've been to Cancun already too, we didn't have any problems at our resort, Grand Oasis. That's prob where we'll be staying at again.

I was staying at teh Grand Oasis haha. I lucked out. All my shit was spread aroudn the room (cause im a slob on vacation) with my valuables strewn about my stuff. Where as my friend put all his stuff in a backpack (camera wallet passport etc..) and put it on the shelf with a pillow over it and they found that.

Luckily they only took his wallet and nothing else. However the people in the room next to us had everything stolen except their passports.

I suspect it was an inside job (hotel workers) as it was a sunday and we were really tired so we were in the room all afternoon watching tiger attempt to win the masters and we went out to catch the last hour of sun (literally an hour) and we got broken into then, and our neighbors were gone only slightly longer then us.

mdeleon
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Well that doesn't seem to reassuring haha.

supe
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mdeleon
Well that doesn't seem to reassuring haha.

That is the exception I guarantee it. Go to Cancun, you won't regret it. There is another thread about Mexico already, read up on it. Find a hotel package and use tripadvisor and you can't go wrong.

For a value beach vacation, I don't think you can beat Cancun.

For the record I've been twice, had a blast both times with absolutely nothing gone wrong.

Affinityion
01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by msouther
Cancun isn't the most dangerous. If anything, Acapulco would be as it is closer to where the drug battles are occuring. I just spent a week in Acapulco too and I am alive and well. My advice to you is just like I would give to anybody looking for a good time, whether in Canada, Mexico or wherever. Don't be an idiot and look for trouble and you'll have fun. Most people who are injured at bars etc. or in Mexico were getting lippy with locals, looking for drugs and such. Cancun is beautiful and you will have an awesome time.

Yeah my friends and I were there last May (early May) had no problems. Cancun is a "resort" city and as long as you stick to the tourist areas you'll be fine. We saw a few Mexican army Humvees with full out machine guns patrolling the roads likely "keeping the peace". Unless you're out looking for trouble you'll be fine.

dannie
01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I was in Cancun in November and we spent 3 nights out in the city and the rest at the resort. All three nights were at the clubs - The City for a Teisto concert, Coco Bongo and Dady'o. At the resort, none of us had any issues with anything being unsafe.

At the Coco Bongo, one of the guys we were with ended up making out with some Latina chick, chick asks him to come outside with her. The girl leaves him in the alley with some Asian dude that mugged him. (He was overly drunk btw). He wasn't hurt, just handed over the cash and walked away.

Other than that, there was originally a group of 5 us that went together, ended up spending all our time with another 8 people. So, out of 13 of us, that was the only issue we had.

However, that can happen anywhere. Not just Mexico.

So go. Just use your head.

mdeleon
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
As already stated, I've been to Mexico already. Once to Cancun and once to PV. I'm aware of the risks involved in traveling (not just to Mexico), but a friend's mom says she saw warnings about traveling to Mexico on the news so I'm looking around for what she saw and came here to find out if anyone else has heard of know of these warnings she's speaking of. All my searching hasn't given me anything current, and nothing about Cancun.

lasimmon
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Mind you with that experience I posted above I am planning to go back in April haha. Like some have said it was likely an exception but I just thought I would share it with you guys.

mdeleon
01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Ya I'm planing to goin April as well, for my bday! :bigpimp:

phreezee
01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Currently researching myself and found these:

Latest News:
http://mexicovacationawareness.com/news.html

Victims:
http://mexicovacationawareness.com/victims.html

phreezee
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Any thoughts about the Calgary woman who had every bone in her face broken recently right in her hotel in Mazatlan? Sure it wasn't Cancun, but anyone reconsidering Mexico?

bart
01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
people who goto cancun have a lack of an imagination, or money, or both

Xtrema
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Any thoughts about the Calgary woman who had every bone in her face broken recently right in her hotel in Mazatlan? Sure it wasn't Cancun, but anyone reconsidering Mexico?

Odds are low that you'll get hurt but I won't go to Mexico just in protest. At this point, I will go to Cuba before Mexico. Heck I would even pay a few bucks more and go to Hawaii.

imhungry
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Odds are low that you'll get hurt but I won't go to Mexico just in protest. At this point, I will go to Cuba before Mexico. Heck I would even pay a few bucks more and go to Hawaii.

LOOLL. Cuba = get sick. Mexico = get hurt.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Illness+hits+Canadians+Cuban+resorts/6042834/story.html

Might as well just drive up to Banff, stay a few days and call that your vacation.

Back on topic: I stayed at the Grand Oasis about a year ago, It was great, I had no problems, except for the staff trying to get you to join the timeshare presentation non-stop. They just won't give up =/

It doesn't look like the violence is even near Cancun at all. The Recent story about the woman beaten was in Mazatlan, the other older news stories were all from locations far from Cancun.

slowboy
01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Probably the act of another tourist and not a local.

phreezee
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
^^^ others come forward about their stories from the same resort, definitely not an isolated incident.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Sheila+Nabb+beating+unfortunate+isolated+event+Mexican+authorities/6050948/story.html

One B.C. resident who stayed at the hotel in November 2009 said an intruder climbed on the balcony of the 12th-floor room where he and his wife were sleeping. “In the middle of the night, my wife woke me up and said, ‘There’s a guy on the balcony,’ ” said George, who asked that his last name not be published. “I went into attack mode.” George said he “started whaling” on the intruder, who pleaded in Spanish for him to stop, then dragged the man to the hotel hallway and called security. He said he received no co-operation pursuing the incident with staff and has not returned to the resort. An Ontario couple, meanwhile, told CBC News about an attack last spring at Hotel Riu Emerald Bay. Scott Giddy, on holiday at the resort with his wife Sarah, was struck over the head outside a restaurant. He spent 10 days in hospital. Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Sheila+Nabb+beating+unfortunate+isolated+event+Mexican+authorities/6050948/story.html#ixzz1kXGLp7yI

roopi
01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Calgary woman’s attacker caught on video, Mexican officials say
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/sheila-nabbs-attacker-caught-on-video-by-hotels-cameras-official-claims/

I wonder if they make the tape public??? They could be saying this to make everything look safe though and blame it on another tourist.

I'm heading to Mayan Riviera shortly as well. Not to concerned though.

slowboy
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Calgary woman’s attacker caught on video, Mexican officials say
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/sheila-nabbs-attacker-caught-on-video-by-hotels-cameras-official-claims/

I wonder if they make the tape public??? They could be saying this to make everything look safe though and blame it on another tourist.

I'm heading to Mayan Riviera shortly as well. Not to concerned though.

Still want confirmation from Canadian officials that the video exists and is legit.

roopi
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by slowboy

Still want confirmation from Canadian officials that the video exists and is legit.

I completely agree. The whole situation seems really weird and there really isn't much details available.

Supa Dexta
01-26-2012, 02:15 AM
I wish there was an option on the travel sites instead of 'all south'... to have 'all south/no mexico"

:rofl:

Mar
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
If people getting murdered is a deterrent for you to be somewhere, you better get out of Calgary as soon as you can.