PDA

View Full Version : Review: Clay Oven

flipstah
01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Review: Clay Oven

Clay Oven
Bay 349, 3132 – 26 St NE, Calgary, Alberta

Over the weekend I was able to try a new Indian restuarant and so far, it is one of my favorites. I was a rookie in ordering so hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes haha.

Food: 3.5/5

The food was the highlight of my night. We ordered:

- Garlic Nan
- Pea Saffron Rice
- Mushroom Saffron Rice
- Lamb Curry
- Beef Vindaloo
- Prawn Biryani
- Daal Pachrangi (Lentil soup)
- Saag Paneer (Spincach puree)

The nan was soft and delectable; great compliment to the saucy main dishes. The rice was also a great compliment but rather bland by itself.

Out of all of the main dishes, the prawn and the lamb dishes were the highlights! The prawn sauce was delectable, balanced flavor... And the shrimp wasn't overcooked! :D

The lamb was soft and tender with a delicious curry sauce. Would taste better as mild as the heat overpowered the flavor.

The beef vindaloo was just a bowl of pure hurt. The beef slices were dry and all I tasted was pain. Never again.

The veggie dishes I didn't try, as those were ordered by our vegetarian friend.

Ambiance: 2.5/5

The establishment is simplistic, small, and cramped. Best to make reservations. Not a lot of room to move and it seemed like the place wanted to fit as much people as possible.

Service: 3/5

The waiting time for food to come out was long. Possibly because of the amount of food we ordered and perhaps each dish was cooked from scratch. Long wait time and with the cramped space, the food was better be worth it.

And it was. I would definitely come back but next time, I will 'soften' up my order next time haha.

Word of advice: Order mild and one spicy in order to enjoy your night. If it's all same level of spiciness, it'll all start tasting the same and it will suck.

I can handle heat but man, it was strong! I should've gotten mild because after a while, the taste wore out and the heat took over.

Ow, my tongue.

jav_
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
i like their butter chicken during lunch buffets :drool:

Tik-Tok
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by jav_

I fucking LOVE their lunch buffet butter chicken. Although I'm always disappointed when I go and they have those potato medallion things, and not pakora's. Definitely not a new place though, it's been open for years.

flipstah
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by jav_

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I fucking LOVE their lunch buffet butter chicken. Although I'm always disappointed when I go and they have those potato medallion things, and not pakora's. Definitely not a new place though, it's been open for years.

They have lunch buffets? Lucky!

By 'new', I meant new to me. I'm definitely going back. The smell is addicting.

dj_rice
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I went during the lunch buffets and the food is quite tasty but I might of went there on a off day.

Food was good but wasn't very hot. Almost cold that day. It was around 12:30pm on I believe a Friday.

Service kinda sucked but what do you expect for buffet. The only thing that bothered me was when asking for water, they gave you room temperature water cause they had no ice.

Otherwise good food.

clem24
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Haven't been a while but was never a huge fan of Clay Oven. My fave place is still by far Spice Hut across from Pho Thanh in Huntington. Take out portions are HUGE (by Indian food standards) and everything is oh so delicious. Though my Pakistani friend tells me the cooks are actually Pakistani.

cancer man
02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Haven't been a while but was never a huge fan of Clay Oven. My fave place is still by far Spice Hut across from Pho Thanh in Huntington. Take out portions are HUGE (by Indian food standards) and everything is oh so delicious. Though my Pakistani friend tells me the cooks are actually Pakistani.

I did'nt feel like i needed to open a new thread but the Spicy Hut (oh my) they really need to clean that place.
I'am not sure if i smelled body odor or if it was the food.
Could'nt bring myself to try anything.I'll take the Clay Oven.

str8jkt
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Love this place. We've never ate in. Always take out. Great Naan and their butter chicken is the best we've found in Calgary. Used to eat here almost weekly when we lived up north.