PDA

View Full Version : low of -31 tonight: plugin car?

rob the knob
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
are you plugging in you car tonight for the cold weather?

FraserB
01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
No, even outside my truck still turns over on the first shot.

CanmoreOrLess
01-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I would (heats up faster, less wear on the engine/battery), had my wife not figured we had a ten mile long extension cord and drove off one morning a couple of weeks ago. Add that to the list of repairs the dealer will see. Last week she "nicks" (cracked it) the passenger side mirror pulling into the empty two bay garage.

spacerz
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
The diesel gets plugged. The other two (gas) shouldn't have a problem.

Thaco
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
i should, but i don't have anywhere to plug it in, so i wont.

Graham_A_M
01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Dont need to as I know it'll fire, but rather not do any added wear & tear if I dont need to. So I will regardless. Its already -28 at 8:40 out, holy shiizza!

(LOL, I cant help but feel for the poor saps waiting outside for a late bus tomorrow)
:rofl: :rofl:

Thaco
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Dont need to as I know it'll fire, but rather not do any added wear & tear if I dont need to. So I will regardless. Its already -28 at 8:40 out, holy shiizza!

(LOL, I cant help but feel for the poor saps waiting outside for a late bus tomorrow)
:rofl: :rofl: radio man said it was already -28 on my drive home at 5

nobb
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Nah. Full synthetic ftw.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I plug in when it's below -25 or so. Car actually starts fine without plugging in, and my garage (unheated detached) stays warm for a few days into each cold snap.

But hey, the block heater cord is right beside the outlet, why not plug it in?

ddduke
01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
No, even outside my truck still turns over on the first shot.

word

A2VR6
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
No, dont have a block heater...

Hallowed_point
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Finally yes! LS1 had a hell of a time this morning even with the synthetic. I got my heavy duty diesel truck oil pan heater installed tonight :D :devil:

HomespunLobster
01-16-2012, 10:05 PM
My battery is half frozen. But a block heater won't help that problem. I just need a new battery. I've never plugged any of my cars in

xnvy
01-16-2012, 10:05 PM
No, my Honda always starts.

heavyfuel
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Both diesels, both plugged. They have, and will start at -35 unplugged, prefer to plug them in as they both get 15w40 year round.

Hallowed_point
01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Both diesels, both plugged. They have, and will start at -35 unplugged, prefer to plug them in as they both get 15w40 year round.

Do people who don't own diesels exaggerate how hard it is to start them in the cold or whats the deal? I always hear all these BS sounding stories about how diesels suck in the cold..:rolleyes:

FraserB
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
If it gets cold enough, diesel will gel.

Abeo
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Ideally I'd plug my truck in, but I'm not really set up for that right now, so I'm just going to warm the truck up before bed (and maybe start it in the middle of the night, if I wake up). I find that the engine starts much easier if its been warm 4 hours prior.

remote start ftw

Abeo
01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Do people who don't own diesels exaggerate how hard it is to start them in the cold or whats the deal? I always hear all these BS sounding stories about how diesels suck in the cold..:rolleyes:

I used to drive disel trucks for work, they didn't like starting at about -15, and usually wouldn't start in -20 (5.3 Hino, 6.0 ford). I kept them plugged in if was to be -10 or colder.

The problem is they need a lot of heat for combustion, sometimes I'd have to cycle the glow plugs on the Hino 3 or 4 times to get the intake air warm enough for it to catch. The oil also gets really thick, along with the batteries being less effective at the lower temperatures, which turns over the engine slower (and it needs the fast compression to get the air hot enough for the diesel to fire)

J-hop
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
No, dont have a block heater...

Effin euros thinking they make cars that can handle the cold.

Anything under 0 degrees and my VR gets pissy.

dirtsniffer
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
cold alone has never cause my car not to start. there has been a few times when the wind has done a serious number though. My appartment building doesn't have outlets, but I'll probably plug in at work cause it is a lot more exposed.

firebane
01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

No block heater on my 96 integra :p still started at -43 :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
01-16-2012, 11:01 PM
You know guys, it isn't the fact that your vehicles start up no problems at -30*C. Any vehicle made in the past 20 years, with a good battery should be able to. You have to consider what it's doing to the engine, especially if you have the option to plug it in.

The human body can also go 3 days without water. Do you do this on a regular basis too?

Aleks
01-16-2012, 11:01 PM
No need to plug in as I guess I'm one of those rare white people that puts his cars in the garage ;)

firebane
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You know guys, it isn't the fact that your vehicles start up no problems at -30*C. Any vehicle made in the past 20 years, with a good battery should be able to. You have to consider what it's doing to the engine, especially if you have the option to plug it in.

The human body can also go 3 days without water. Do you do this on a regular basis too?

While plugging it in helps the motor what about the clutch system and transmission? At -43 that stuff is so thick it makes driving very tough for awhile.

HomespunLobster
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by firebane

While plugging it in helps the motor what about the clutch system and transmission? At -43 that stuff is so thick it makes driving very tough for awhile.

I replaced all the fluid in my manual tranny, but when I was working up in northern alberta if I pulled out the clutch in nuetral the truck would stall it was so thick. Was awesome.

J-hop
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by firebane

and unfortunately the only way to really warm up the trans is to drive. Just can't win sometimes in winter driving. I'll be one of those bozos freezing their ass off at the bus stop tomorrow haha.

C_Dave45
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
cold alone has never cause my car not to start. there has been a few times when the wind has done a serious number though. My appartment building doesn't have outlets, but I'll probably plug in at work cause it is a lot more exposed.

The Wind?? What does that have to do with how a car starts??

pf0sh0
01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I won't plug mine in because its in the garage, but if you're parked outside and you have the means to... why not?

pf0sh0
01-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

The Wind?? What does that have to do with how a car starts??

probably wind chill adding to coldness? :dunno:

jsn
01-17-2012, 01:22 AM
i plugged mine in. Anyone ever have their trucks tail gate freeze on them? It opened, but now it won't close properly

Sentry
01-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Wind doesn't change the air temperature.

It increases the rate that objects reach that temperature.

But if a car is sitting overnight it doesn't make any difference at all, it will be stone cold in the morning anyway.

I'd plug in any time it's colder than -20. Have a timer on the outlet that clicks on 2 hours before you need to use the car. Block heaters are greedy sumbitches, you don't want to be powering one all night or you'll feel it in your pocket.

Ven
01-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

Equipment doesn't "feel" wind. -30 with a -60 wind chill will still be only -30 to the car.

Sentry
01-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
No need to plug in as I guess I'm one of those rare white people that puts his cars in the garage ;)
It amazes me how many people have perfectly good garages and just put all their shit in. They just use it as a room for shit they don't want in the house.

C_Dave45
01-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

Are you serious?!!! BAHAHAHAHA. Windchill has no effect on an inanimate object other than the speed at which it cools it, if it's above the ambient temperature. If the air temp is -20, that's as cold as an engine will get no matter what the windchill is.
Hahahaha. Good one.:rofl:

pf0sh0
01-17-2012, 01:45 AM
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/okay-face.jpg

Cooked Rice
01-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Nope. Putting my Amsoil Signature Synthetic to work instead.

bmeier
01-17-2012, 01:56 AM
i hate when people talk about windchill as if its actually -60 outside. for the love of god, the temperature does not change its just how fast heat is removed from an object.

Maybelater
01-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I worked nights in a Hotel and just outside of it was a resting area, semi-drivers would leave their trucks running all night in weather like this because they wouldn't turn back on in the morning otherwise.

Not plugging my vehicle in because their isn't a plug in the front of the house and my 22 year old shit-box doesn't seem to have any issues turning over.

btimbit
01-17-2012, 02:43 AM

Really? I'm starting to think my VR is indestructible, only issue I've ever had is the seat taking longer to heat up, engine never even stutters. One of VAG's older turbo'd engines on the other hand... practically need to be on life support.

That said I'd still probably plug it in if I had somewhere to plug it in. Or if it had a block heater. Or if I could ever remember anyway

btimbit
01-17-2012, 02:45 AM

Really? I'm starting to think my VR is indestructible, only issue I've ever had is the seat taking longer to heat up, engine never even stutters. One of VAG's older turbo'd engines on the other hand... practically need to be on life support.

That said I'd still probably plug it in if I had somewhere to plug it in. Or if it had a block heater. Or if I could ever remember anyway

Supa Dexta
01-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Mines been plugged in 24/7 for 2 months now.. I ain't payin for the power..

C_Dave45
01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by bmeier
i hate when people talk about windchill as if its actually -60 outside. for the love of god, the temperature does not change its just how fast heat is removed from an object.
:werd: When I was growing up the word "windchill" was something you only heard on a nature show when talking about scientists doing research in the north pole. No mention was EVER made about windchill temps in everyday weather discussions. The temp was the temp and that was it.
Geeze now, that's almost the only temperature you hear...even the media.."and today's WINDCHILL is...." :rolleyes:
I phoned a radio station one time and asked if they even knew what windchill was. The DJ was talking like the windchill temp was actually the temp of the air.

"So if it's +1 out...and a howling wind bringing the wind chill to -10, will it freeze water?"
His response (and this was on air): "uhh....yes!" :facepalm:

2Legit2Quit
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
No block heater on my civic, too cold for remote start to work so I have to run out and start it manually which is lame. Fires right up and vtec sprays out fiercely.

Unknown303
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Nope. Heated parkade at home and at work.

J-hop
01-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Oh it'll start...eventually. I've never had it not start other then when my battery froze but it takes a lot of extra cranking and it doesn't sound at all healthy once it gets going so generally I just don't even bother driving it in this weather. I run synthetic changed every 5000kms too.

Ntense_SpecV
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Well I was going to plug my car in last night, until the cord end on my block heater snapped on me. Guess 10year old plastic coupled with -28 temp's finally took it's toll. Oh well, now the wife has to park on the street and I get the garage.

Canmorite
01-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Tripped on someone's cord on the snowy sidewalk last night and yanked it out. Hope your car doesn't start.

Sugarphreak
01-17-2012, 12:11 PM

HiTempguy1
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Tripped on someone's cord on the snowy sidewalk last night and yanked it out. Hope your car doesn't start.

You're an asshole. Some people don't have the luxury of having an outlet right next to their car. Maybe learn how to walk? :facepalm:

whiskas
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM

Maybe you should walk like a normal person instead of shuffling your feet like a cripple.

Unless you really are a cripple, in which case, I apologize.

Abeo
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You're an asshole. Some people don't have the luxury of having an outlet right next to their car. Maybe learn how to walk? :facepalm:

There is a bylaw against having cords going across sidewalks, just like there is a bare-sidewalk snow clearing bylaw. Sidewalks are for walking, not for people leaving their crap on.

Tomaz
01-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Heated garage FTW!!!!

Not plugging in my car at the office. I will let it warm up for a good 20 mins before I leave though! :D

dimi
01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Maybe you should walk like a normal person instead of shuffling your feet like a cripple.

Unless you really are a cripple, in which case, I apologize.

:werd:

HomespunLobster
01-17-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm on your side. It's against bylaw to have anything running over the city sidewalks.

HiTempguy1
01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

There is a bylaw against having cords going across sidewalks, just like there is a bare-sidewalk snow clearing bylaw. Sidewalks are for walking, not for people leaving their crap on.

Oh, I'm well aware. That bylaw is to keep people from just leaving shit on the sidewalk. But when your mode of transportation needs to be plugged in to start in the morning, apparently it would kill you to step over the cord. Not everybody can afford a place with underground parking or an extra parking stall (having rented many places with a roommate with only one parking stall, I'd know).

Asshole.

Kardon
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
If I had access to a plug I'd definitely be using it, regardless if it can start without it. With my hdj81 I put in a inline rad hose heater but I don't think it helped much. truck would start with a flick of ignition (thanks to the 24v cranking power) and when it got really cold you would just have to flick it once and you would hear each one of the six cylinders ignite then stop, second try it would start then idle low (you increase throttle with the manual high idle control). It never let me down

also: it's not just the fuel, the fact that diesels run thicker oil, I used to use either 10w-30 or 15w-40 on the cruiser

n1zm0
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Heated garage FTW!!!!

Not plugging in my car at the office. I will let it warm up for a good 20 mins before I leave though! :D

+1 for heated garage at home, plugged in at work tho.

but my car's battery is over 5.5 years old and still kicking ass, how i feel about it going into every winter:

http://i.imgur.com/FX9q2.jpg

codetrap
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Oh, I'm well aware. That bylaw is to keep people from just leaving shit on the sidewalk. But when your mode of transportation needs to be plugged in to start in the morning, apparently it would kill you to step over the cord. Not everybody can afford a place with underground parking or an extra parking stall (having rented many places with a roommate with only one parking stall, I'd know).

Asshole.

Reading comprehension got ya eh? Figure you must've speed read it or something. "Tripped on the cord on the SNOWY sidewalk", as in he couldn't see the cord before he tripped on it. I'm hazarding a guess it was also dark outside, and the cord most definitely wasn't totally flat, at least I've never seen one that goes totally flat in winter, usually they're kinda bendy and easily catch an ankle.

Nah, I'm on Canmorite's side. If you have to plug it in, then drive it up your driveway and then plug it in, don't put down a tripping hazard for someone else hidden by snow, in the dark. If it had been me, I most likely would have tripped on it and fucked myself up further. Yes, I am on my way to being crippled thank you very much, at least until I get a hip replacement. Then I would have proceeded to sue the fuck out of the idiot that created the hazard.

Don't think tripping hazards are a big deal? My grandmother tripped and fell.. broke her hip and her collarbone, then died of complications 3 weeks later.

*Edited to tone down language*

masoncgy
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM

:werd: When I was growing up the word "windchill" was something you only heard on a nature show when talking about scientists doing research in the north pole. No mention was EVER made about windchill temps in everyday weather discussions. The temp was the temp and that was it.
Geeze now, that's almost the only temperature you hear...even the media.."and today's WINDCHILL is...." :rolleyes:
I phoned a radio station one time and asked if they even knew what windchill was. The DJ was talking like the windchill temp was actually the temp of the air.

"So if it's +1 out...and a howling wind bringing the wind chill to -10, will it freeze water?"
His response (and this was on air): "uhh....yes!" :facepalm:

That's half of my Facebook status updates this morning... "Ommmmg it's -50 out there this morning!"

No it isn't.

My Island co-workers are going off about it too. "Wow, it's -50 in Alberta this morning." No, it isn't.

Summertime is the same exaggerated BS. It's 40 degrees today! (Calgary has never reached 40 degrees in it's history).

Weather = Canada's national penis measurement contest.

zipdoa
01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Running 0W40 in the UrS4... starts like it's +30 outside.

Have a block heater, will be plugging it in tonight.

Canmorite
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Asshole.

Would it kill you to at least plug in your car properly?

Assholes. :love:

Originally posted by codetrap
Reading comprehension got ya eh? Figure you must've speed read it or something. "Tripped on the cord on the SNOWY sidewalk", as in he couldn't see the cord before he tripped on it. I'm hazarding a guess it was also dark outside, and the cord most definitely wasn't totally flat, at least I've never seen one that goes totally flat in winter, usually they're kinda bendy and easily catch an ankle.

Nah, I'm on Canmorite's side. If you have to plug it in, then drive it up your driveway and then plug it in, don't put down a tripping hazard for someone else hidden by snow, in the dark. If it had been me, I most likely would have tripped on it and fucked myself up further. Yes, I am on my way to being crippled thank you very much, at least until I get a hip replacement. Then I would have proceeded to sue the fuck out of the idiot that created the hazard.

Ya, you tell 'em!

HiTempguy1
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Reading comprehension got ya eh?

Nope, but it must of got you! Nowhere did I mention someone who has a driveway or place to park. But I'd wager probably close to 15% of people don't have an actual parking spot to call their own in Calgary, and have to fight it out to park on streets.

And then when you have someone decide to unplug your car in -30*C weather or colder... that's just being a dink.

derek_k
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
I'd wager that more than 15% of people in Calgary do not have a legit place to park, I'd say more around 20-30%, if you are anywhere central to the city or live in a low end home in a new community, you usually do not have anywhere to park but the street.

SKR
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm surprised that people don't check to see if their block heater is working. There are a bunch of people in my parking lot, plugged in. But it seems that I'm the only one that knows there's no power to any of them.

I'm ganking power for my work truck from one of the suites that nobody lives in. My other truck is a diesel, and there's no way it's starting now.

Tik-Tok
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I'm surprised that people don't check to see if their block heater is working. There are a bunch of people in my parking lot, plugged in. But it seems that I'm the only one that knows there's no power to any of them.

They might be cycled, so when you checked, they weren't on.

SKR
01-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I had electricky people come out and have a look at it, and all the outside plug ins have gone full retard.

Maybe those guys were full retard though.

Edit: I think they're supposed to be hot all the time. In the summer the construction guys were running their tools off them. Which I found to be really neat, since the tenants were paying for that power.

Edit 2: Another neat thing is that the outside outlets are controlled by an unlabelled switch in the bathroom. This place is so fucked.

Canmorite
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Nope, but it must of got you! Nowhere did I mention someone who has a driveway or place to park. But I'd wager probably close to 15% of people don't have an actual parking spot to call their own in Calgary, and have to fight it out to park on streets.

And then when you have someone decide to unplug your car in -30*C weather or colder... that's just being a dink.

While tripping and falling to the ground, my mind paused and I thought to myself "Hey, while I'm eating shit in my work clothes, I should somehow maneuver my ankle as to unplug this guy's car on purpose, that's what I'll do. Ya, fucking great idea!" Never actually checked to see if it was unplugged or not, didn't really care at that point.

P.s. I stepped over all three cords on the way home today. :angel:

rx7_turbo2
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
For years, even when living at home I had to park on the street. $15 worth of 2x4's and a bag of nails and I built myself a nice sturdy stand that would elevate the extension cord above peoples head so they couldn't trip on it. There's no excuse for the ignorance of leaving your cord across the walkway. Not to mention the fact that if someone trips on YOUR cord and injures themselves YOU'RE liable.:banghead:

codetrap
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Very possible! But in the grand scheme of things, what's worse. Someone having a problem for a couple of hours starting a car, or getting all fucked up falling when it's -30*C because they tripped on a power cord and then dying of exposure....

It sounds like an extreme example, but it's really not.. I cratered in the icy slush crunch one morning walking to the bus stop. Rang my own bell pretty good too.. pretty sure I spent at least 5 minutes in that frozen slushy crap before I could drag my ass to my feet again. In that time, one car went by, but didn't see me. Then I had to stagger home, strip off my clothes that were frozen to me with my own blood, and then clean myself up. I'm 36 and overall in pretty good overall health, (except for buggered hips). Get some old grandma or grandpa doing this while walking to pick up the mail, and they're done.

HomespunLobster
01-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
For years, even when living at home I had to park on the street. $15 worth of 2x4's and a bag of nails and I built myself a nice sturdy stand that would elevate the extension cord above peoples head so they couldn't trip on it. There's no excuse for the ignorance of leaving your cord across the walkway. Not to mention the fact that if someone trips on YOUR cord and injures themselves YOU'RE liable.:banghead:

technically that's still against bylaw. It is a safer way to do it though.

cancer man
01-18-2012, 04:42 AM
First world problems..Nancy boys.
We need minus forty for at least 2 weeks and kill those mofo pine beetles.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2012, 08:02 AM

cet
01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
^ I drove by at 6:25 and it was full, so I went and checked the one on 9th ave and 5th Street - that was full too. I ended up in the new Vinci one near the courthouse.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2012, 08:16 AM

cet
01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't know what it is. I usually never have a problem getting a spot at that time. It surprised me when the other one was full as well as it's bigger than McDougal. Where I parked was almost empty.

I think either the system fucked up or a whole bunch of people decided to drive and get here early to make sure they got a spot.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM

codetrap
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Screw it. I 'm working from Home today.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2012, 09:08 AM

V6-BoI
01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Didn't have my car plugged in for the past few days (and haven't driven it yet for the past few days, and also because my car doesn't have a block heater) and it started up this morning. Never heard my car sound that rough in my life.

Guessing my power steering, fuel, and AWC pumps were all frozen because it was tough to steer, had to gas it more than normal to move

Enhance
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Train was running normally at 8:00, I don't think service was disrupted.

codetrap
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Global Vancouver is complaining about the "winter blast" of -14C. Schools, colleges, gov't, and everyone is taking it as a snow day... LOL

taemo
01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
I refused to plug the car in on monday and tuesday and it didnt sound good the first couple of minutes I started it in the morning.
I plugged it last night and this morning it started like it was a regular day.
Needless to day, I'll be plugging my car when the temp goes below -20

Sugarphreak
01-19-2012, 07:54 AM

cet
01-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Holy crap, what time did you get in? I was able to get in there with no problems at 6:15 and there were over 500 stalls avaliable.

Sugarphreak
01-19-2012, 08:00 AM

C_Dave45
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Global Vancouver is complaining about the "winter blast" of -14C. Schools, colleges, gov't, and everyone is taking it as a snow day... LOL :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because they've received over a foot of snow, with howling winds and whiteout conditions on hwy 1, that they've declared a snow day and not because it's -14? :dunno:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/ScreenShot003-2.jpg

Story (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Whiteout+freeway+east+Abbotsford+Whatcom+Road+closed/6015297/story.html)

Deetz
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I haven't plugged in a winter car of mine in over 10 years. They always start, and i always have a car starter, so it's warm when i get to it in the morning :)

adamc
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
-14 is FUCKING COLD in Vancouver

I remember growing up and getting a few -16 days in Kelowna. With the humidity in B.C. it was absolutely terrible.

Much rather a dry, sunny -26 day in Calgary than a humid, bone chilling cloudy day in B.C.

adamc
01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Also for the sake of this thread (full of classic Beyond wisdom you'd never see elsewhere)

My car is parked in a heated garage and my truck (gas) is plugged in outside.

Started it today after 3-4 days of sitting in the -35s and she turned over on the first try. Amsoil full Synthetic and a new battery :)

AndyL
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Gah, knew I should have raplaced that gfci last summer, tripped in the middle of the night... never good on a propane truck -fml

HiTempguy1
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Gah, knew I should have raplaced that gfci last summer, tripped in the middle of the night... never good on a propane truck -fml

You are aware that regular gfci's tend to trip with heating devices like these, right? A household gfci only allows a loss of around 15ma of current before pulling the plug. There are gfci's specifically meant for heat tracing (or in this case, block heaters) that allow 33ma's of dropped current.

At least, that's what I've found out from research. :dunno:

codetrap
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
:rolleyes:

Maybe it's because they've received over a foot of snow, with howling winds and whiteout conditions on hwy 1, that they've declared a snow day and not because it's -14? :dunno:

Yeesh.. that makes more sense then. I was watching Global TV and basically all their shots were of kids sledding on a bright day.. not sunny, but not like your photo at all..

CapnCrunch
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
What's with all the Beyonders not plugging their cars in like they're some sort of badass.

Winter tires = Impossible to drive without them.

Plugging in a car = serves no purpose as long as the car still starts.

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM

max_boost
01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
I haven't plugged in a winter car of mine in over 10 years. They always start, and i always have a car starter, so it's warm when i get to it in the morning :)

Bad for the environment and burns gas but man I LOVE getting into a warm car haha

JZS_147
01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I have never plugged in any of my cars. My 93 Lexus fires up first try in -40 weather.

CapnCrunch
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Well maintained cars (synthetic oil & good battery) usually start in frigid weather. So it is no surprise that on a car enthusiast forum there are a lot of people who shrug it off. I've never had an issue starting any of my cars in -30 or worse weather yet, it is a bit of a waste of electricity to plug them in IMO.

I can start my truck in -30 weather, but it sounds like shit, I can hear my good battery struggling, I and it takes 15 minutes to properly warm up, all the while my engine is running rich, wasting twice the fuel, and pumping a lot of that un-burnt fuel into my synthetic oil, which is already too thick to properly protect my engine.

Kg810
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Well maintained cars (synthetic oil & good battery) usually start in frigid weather. So it is no surprise that on a car enthusiast forum there are a lot of people who shrug it off. I've never had an issue starting any of my cars in -30 or worse weather yet, it is a bit of a waste of electricity to plug them in IMO.

Even if every car enthusiaists' car is well maintained, you still can't deny that plugging in the car will help reduce the amount of work required to start on -30 weather. So by your logic of car enthusiasts taking care of their car, they should actually be plugging in their car to help reduce as much effort required :dunno:.

What you just described is exactly the type of thinking that CapnCrunch was referring to lol.

IE - Properly skilled drivers don't have any issue driving in winter without winter tires. So it is no surprise that on a car enthusiast forum there are a lot of people who shrug off winter tires. I've never had an issue driving in winter with all season tires, it is a waste of money to buy winter tires IMO.

AndyL
01-19-2012, 05:31 PM

You are aware that regular gfci's tend to trip with heating devices like these, right? A household gfci only allows a loss of around 15ma of current before pulling the plug. There are gfci's specifically meant for heat tracing (or in this case, block heaters) that allow 33ma's of dropped current.

At least, that's what I've found out from research. :dunno:
This ones just been getting tempermental, its tripped a few times lately - even with nothing plugged into it, pretty sure its a good decade old, I hear they have a service life...

Never heard of needing a different gfci for block heaters... have to ask when I grab a new one...