PDA

View Full Version : Common problems for Audi 1.8T?

Ven
01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Considering an A4, probably 2000-2001 as a winter dd. What are the common problems for this car and the 1.8T?

JustinMCS
01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Would advise against the 1.8T. There are multiple people talking on teh interwebs about sludge build up. Some people seem to have no issue, some have a lot of issues. Do a little le google.

Good luck!

revelations
01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Are you just looking for performance in a winter DD? - or Audi in particular?

Surely there are more reliable options out there.

Ven
01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm looking at them because they have a lot of the things I'm after in one package. AWD, styling, performance, easy to mod, decent mileage. For sure there's more reliable but any of the other cars in my need/wants/budget file all have their inherent issues. I have the VAG software and can do most repairs myself anyway. That car seems like a good all-rounder to me.

sillysod
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Sludge isn't much of a problem in the B5 (up to 2001) A4's more so in the 2002 - 2006 models if people ran dino oil.

Biggest things are going to be torn seats and vacuum / boost leaks.

If you find something you like take it to Tunedub for a check up. If George gives it a :thumbsup: then you're good to go.

Step 2 Unitronic Stage 1 chip.

btimbit
01-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Sludge isn't much of a problem in the B5 (up to 2001) A4's more so in the 2002 - 2006 models if people ran dino oil.

If you find something you like take it to Tunedub for a check up. If George gives it a :thumbsup: then you're good to go.

All this.

And another huge :thumbsup: for taking it to George.

R-Audi
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
People really need to make sure they know what they are talking about before making responses... (ie sludge/carbon build up) This is not something that affects the B5 1.8T at all.

The engine itself is quite robust, and reliable. Beyond what Sillysod already mentioned, its just general maintenance.. Coilpacks, ICM, EGT and possibly some suspension components that tend to wear depending on the mileage. As long as you take it to a good mechanic you should be fine. Id do George (Tunedub) or even the dealer.

Many people double the stock horsepower on a stock block via turbo upgrades, and dont have any problems! (I was one of them)

Ven
01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

I noticed you have a Passat 4Motion too, how you like that? Another car I was considering. Especially the wagon.

Ill be sure to take it to Tunedub then. Beyond recommendations have always been gold. The A4 I'm looking at is fairly high kms @ 180 but looks near new and has all the paperwork. One owner car too.

Appreciate the all the feedback.

VW337
01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
People really need to make sure they know what they are talking about before making responses... (ie sludge/carbon build up) This is not something that affects the B5 1.8T at all.

^This. R-Audi has owned 3 B5's (that I know of) and he knows what he's talking about. Also keep in mind that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 100 000 kms at an approx cost of $1000 including labor at tunedub. As mentioned earlier, keep an eye out for vacuum leaks as the plastic/rubber hoses can become brittle and begin to crack. Check out fourtitude.com and audizine.com for lots of B5 info.

Waldi
01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Expect some glitches with electronic, especially with on-board computer and sensors (nothing major but can be scary), premature timing belt wear (!!!) otherwise, loved the performance in terms of acceleration and handling (manual transmission). Would I buy it again, no!

Xtrema
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Buddy's B5 has been solid other than electronics (led burn out, airbag sensor). 2nd owner, he puts around 100K on it for the 3 years he owned it. 0 problem other than what's mentioned.

His B7 though had the coil pack changed on recall (thanks 2 someone on Beyond that told me about the TSB) and it has been solid since.

His experience with Audi is why I got one.

sillysod
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Ven

I noticed you have a Passat 4Motion too, how you like that? Another car I was considering. Especially the wagon.

That's what the wifey drives. B5.5 4mo wagon and I can say it's an excellent car. It's actually nicer than the Audi for options believe it or not.

These came with the Audi V6 2.8L (not VR6) and tiptronic in it. The A4 has the 1.8T with a 6spd manual so both cars are very different.

Stock the VW is much more torquey and it is really problem free - the tiptronic has been fantastic and buttery smooth (it is not chipped). You just need to do the vacuum lines on them around 140,000kms and maybe the cam tensioners if you smell burning oil.

The Turbo 1.8L is more fun, but the V6 is a workhorse.