PDA

View Full Version : block heater install ?

egmilano
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, its been getting pretty cold and ive beeb rolling
around in my mr2 , its a rhd 91 sw20 do any of you know where
i can get a black heater installed asap !? Please pm or leave a post

G-ZUS
01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Holler @ Minute Muffler on 32nd ave

94boosted
01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Just get one of those stick-on magnetic oil pan heaters :dunno:. Cheap and very easy to install yourself, I think Can Tire sells them.

tunerworks service
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Sent you a message, let us know if we can help!

Hallowed_point
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Just get one of those stick-on magnetic oil pan heaters :dunno:. Cheap and very easy to install yourself, I think Can Tire sells them.

THIS , I just installed mine the other day and it is great! Just make sure you clean the pan very well with goo gone and scour the pan to ensure proper adhesion. :thumbsup:

This is what I got, its awesome! http://www.padheaters.com/description.html

VW337
01-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd give Garage Box a shout as well.

J-hop
01-18-2012, 06:26 PM
To be honest if you are refering to an actual frost plug block heater don't even bother, they are just a headache waiting to happen. Get an inline heater, they are dead easy to install and arent going to pop themselves out of the block whenever they feel like it like a frost plug heater will.

Originally posted by 94boosted

The only negative thing is that although they get the oil all heated up which can be a significant issue especially if you drive a diesel, they aren't going to heat the block at all so you are sending nice and hot oil through an ice cold block. I still think if you want to ensure your car starts well and at the same time minimize accelerated engine wear a block heater is the way to go.

Hallowed_point
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
The only negative thing is that although they get the oil all heated up which can be a significant issue especially if you drive a diesel, they aren't going to heat the block at all so you are sending nice and hot oil through an ice cold block. I still think if you want to ensure your car starts well and at the same time minimize accelerated engine wear a block heater is the way to go.

http://www.canadianpolarpad.com/ watch the animation. I'm pretty sure some of the heat transfers to the block from the oil, where else is it going to go?

Vr4Whore
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

http://www.canadianpolarpad.com/ watch the animation. I'm pretty sure some of the heat transfers to the block from the oil, where else is it going to go?

OMG that's awesome fuck my oil pan magnet

J-hop
01-18-2012, 07:51 PM

lol, thats a pretty funny animation. I understand conduction, but convection is a much more efficient way to transmit heat and transmit it more evenly.

With a pan heater at these temps I doubt a lot of the heat would find its way into the block. At least with a coolant heater you are heating a fluid that is dispersed throughout the whole block/head so I believe the chances of you getting thorough and even heating is better. I could be wrong though. I'm just not about to take an as seen on TV product's marketing animation as the truth!

Abeo
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I understand conduction, but convection is a much more efficient way to transmit heat and transmit it more evenly.

Heat transfer, in efficiency:

conduction > convection > radiation

Heat rises only in convection due to the density difference between the warm (less dense) and the cold (more dense). In conduction (which is what you are aiming for with a block heater of any type), you want the most surface area between the fluid and the block; coolant is better for this (it is a thermal system, after all). Oil has less passages, which are smaller in volume, and half of which are drained after you turn the motor off, so it will be relying on conduction between the oil and the lower portion of the block.

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/2/25509-102447-themoreyouknow2jpg-468x.jpg

AE92_TreunoSC
01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I thought they stopped selling glue on block heaters because they would fall and land in the residual oil below the car and start a fire. I believe it happened in VW land, anyone ever hear of this?

J-hop
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry I should have added (knew this would be mentioned). Convection in the coolant heater example also involves conduction between the fluid and the metal of the block/head and between the metal molecules near the coolant passages and the metal further out. with the added convection of the coolant I believe that this will be a more efficient mode of heating the engine.

But you are right in the conventional sense, straight conduction will be more efficient than straight convection.

And the oil passages is a good point, almost all the oil in your engine drains into the pan and there will be zero communication between the oil in the pan and any residual oil left in the passages so you aren't going to get heat transfer that way- although I did know a guy who is an OG on here that at one point thought you filled the engine until you could see the oil level through the filler cap, so in that case yes you would get heat transfer through the rest of the engine via oil hahaha

Hallowed_point
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

lol, thats a pretty funny animation. I understand conduction, but convection is a much more efficient way to transmit heat and transmit it more evenly.

With a pan heater at these temps I doubt a lot of the heat would find its way into the block. At least with a coolant heater you are heating a fluid that is dispersed throughout the whole block/head so I believe the chances of you getting thorough and even heating is better. I could be wrong though. I'm just not about to take an as seen on TV product's marketing animation as the truth!

Well with the amount of effort they put into that animation it better be true :D

J-hop
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Well with the amount of effort they put into that animation it better be true :D

oh I bet some guy is extremely proud of that animation, so proud he put a "restart animation" just so you could be in awe once again.

G-ZUS
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
although I did know a guy who is an OG on here that at one point thought you filled the engine until you could see the oil level through the filler cap, so in that case yes you would get heat transfer through the rest of the engine via oil hahaha

:eek: