PDA

View Full Version : How do you boost a frozen car?

Speed_RaSiR
01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I know this might sound a little retared, but what is the proper way to boost a car?

Scenario

Car1 Dead
Car2 Good

1) Attach cables to Car 1 matching red and black colors
2) Turn Car 2 off
3) Attach cables to Car 2 matching red and black
4) Start Car 2
5) Try and start Car 1????

:dunno:

CelicaST-162
01-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Usually when boost a car I let car 2 running, hook up the cables and wait a couple of mins so the alternator from car 2 can charge the battery from car 1....then i try

the proper way is the put the negative cable on the frame of the car....but usually that doesnt work so I hook it terminals to terminals

sputnik
01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
- Leave Car 2 running
- Connect cables to Car 1 (positive to positive terminal... negative to ground)
- Connect cables to battery on Car 2
- Let it sit for a couple minutes to let Car 1 charge slightly
- Attempt to start Car 1 while revving up Car 2

Speed_RaSiR
01-29-2004, 03:48 PM
By Terminals you mean the actual connection on the battery?

Khyron
01-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Yes. The dead car should have it's negative clamp on the frame somewhere. The positive clamp on the battery.

It's supposed to protect the good battery from getting surged from the bad one (yes, I've seen one catch on fire and melted the jumper cables :eek: when going from neg to neg).

Khyron

rc2002
01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
:thumbsup: Good to know. I've always done terminal to terminal and never thought twice about it.

hjr
01-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
- Leave Car 2 running
- Attempt to start Car 1 while revving up Car 2 :werd: thats how i have done it many many times...

Speed_RaSiR
01-29-2004, 06:31 PM
When you say negative to the ground what does that mean? Like you attach it somewhere on the chasis of the car? And whats positive and whats negative? Red or Black?

KoukiS14
01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
If your car has been sitting in this cold for a few days now your coolant could be frozen up pretty good. Id wait til it warms up a bit more.

hingkit
01-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
- Leave Car 2 running
- Attempt to start Car 1 while revving up Car 2

does car 2 need to be "revving" ??

does "revving" give the alternator that much more amps to help in the boost ...

CelicaST-162
01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by hingkit

does car 2 need to be "revving" ??

does "revving" give the alternator that much more amps to help in the boost ...

yup :thumbsup:

Z_Fan
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Speed_RaSiR
When you say negative to the ground what does that mean? Like you attach it somewhere on the chasis of the car? And whats positive and whats negative? Red or Black?

As a general rule, Black is always negative.

RiceCake
01-30-2004, 03:22 AM
Don't attach red t red black to black. I've done that before and when the car that got boosted went home, the battery exploded and made a mess under the hood.

Attatch red to red, and have the blacks attached to the chasis. :)

fast95pony
01-30-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Speed_RaSiR

Ummm ... Just call AMA . It's safer for everyone concerned.

:rofl:

fast95pony
01-30-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by NismoS14
If your car has been sitting in this cold for a few days now your coolant could be frozen up pretty good. Id wait til it warms up a bit more.

The coolant should not freeze if you have the correct mix..

DJ Glue_gun
01-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Car2 should not be running if its newer!!! Sometimes what can happen when car one suddenly starts up it can send a charge back to car number 2 and fry the computer. I've seen it happen at a car dealership I worked at.

mwmhong
01-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14

I was just going the to say the same thing except replace coolant with OIL. If the oil is frozen almost solid, all the battery boosting in the universe isn't getting it started. :(

If the boosting doesn't work, either wait for it to warm up or have it towed to a warm garage so the oil can melt a bit.

jdmsource
01-31-2004, 05:49 PM
IF your car is frozen in this wheter and it doesnt start its probably your gas lines are forzen

Alexs
02-01-2004, 07:45 PM
The car which gives the boost should not be running. That is if it has a good enough battery of course.

Khyron
02-01-2004, 09:57 PM
I always leave it running - last thing you need is 1 car draining the other one.

Khyron