PDA

View Full Version : Recent Weight Gain after hitting gym

natejj
01-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Got back into the gym about a month ago. I wasn't very active before. I'm a big guy, tipped the scales around 230 back in December. I've been going about 3 times a week. Mostly weights, not much cardio. Anyways, I didn't expect for the fat to melt off, especially with very little cardio. I'm up to 235-238 now, I've been eating more, but not a huge amount. Maybe an extra 300-500 calories a day? I eat roughly 1700-2200 calories a day, mostly healthy, but not SUPER healthy.

Anyways, should I expect this weight gain at the beginning of getting in shape? Or am I just not working hard enough. I know I haven't packed on 5 lbs on a muscle in a month so, just a bit confused. Could it be water weight? I've started drinking a lot more water as well. Usually 2-3 litres a day?

Thanks

C_Dave45
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Probably a little of both. Although you might want to hit cardio a little more and cut back on carbs.

I'm not a big guy either, but I started at 215 lbs, probably around 95% fat.
The first 6 months were easy, and I dropped down to 183. But then I started to pack on the weight again. I average around 200 now, yet still eat lean, no booze and at the gym.
My waist size dropped 3 inches, but my shirt size grew. So I figured it was lost fat and increased muscle.

KRyn
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Uh what? There is no way 1700 - 2200 calories are sustaining your weight of 230lbs unless your metabolism is slower than two turtles fucking.
You should track everything you stuff in to your cake hole so you actually know how many calories you are getting in an average day.
Use www.fitday.com (fairly sure this is right)
After that modify your diet because I am fairly certian you are eating much more than 1700 - 2200 calories. Also you may want to switch to some high intensity interval training.

natejj
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Uh what? There is no way 1700 - 2200 calories are sustaining your weight of 230lbs unless your metabolism is slower than two turtles fucking.
You should track everything you stuff in to your cake hole so you actually know how many calories you are getting in an average day.
Use www.fitday.com (fairly sure this is right)
After that modify your diet because I am fairly certian you are eating much more than 1700 - 2200 calories. Also you may want to switch to some high intensity interval training.

I'm hungry a lot of the time to be honest, but I haven't put in the effort to stock my house with heathy snacks yet, and don't want to pig out on junk food. I'm sure I'm eating more then that too, I've just never properly tracked it. I only eat 3 meals a day, and at supper I normally polish off my girlfriends meals too.

I also work a lot of shift work, and working from 11 pm to 7 am really screws with my diet/hunger. If it wasn't -30 outside I'd do a lot more cardio, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so thats life.

Edit: I think the problem is my "cheat day" turns into more of a 2 day binge on sweets/pizza. Then since I'm not eating enough healthy/good food, my body is storing the excess calories on my cheat days, which has added up to my additional weight?

rx7boi
01-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by natejj

If it wasn't -30 outside I'd do a lot more cardio, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so thats life.

and

Edit: I think the problem is my "cheat day" turns into more of a 2 day binge on sweets/pizza.

"That's life," indeed.

KRyn
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
As I mentioned track your intake for a couple of days and find out what you are eating. This will give you a good base to work from. You will easily be able to see what it is that is adding way to many calories to your diet.

What's your breakfast like? Google Charles Poliquin Meat and Nut Breakfast
Cut out all liquid calories! No more juice or pop! Or booze!
Stay away from simple processed carbohydrates and sugar!
Drink 4 L of water a day.

Follow these few tips and I bet you can cut 10-20lbs in no time at all. If all you want to do is cut weight I would put off going to the gym while you nail down your diet. As working out will only make you more hungry and let's be honest, you didn't work hard enough to earn that dessert!

natejj
02-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I decided to stop half assing it, and go full on. I'm eating a good amount of calories a day, and only cheating on saturdays.

Meals look like

Breakfast - 2 Poached Eggs and some Cheese or Yogurt

1st Snack - Protien Shake, or Peanut butter Banana Wrap

Lunch - Turkey Sandwhich, or Tuna Salad

2nd Snack - Yogurt or cheese or some other protien

Supper is meat and veggies....

So far, so good! Sitting at 234 lbs roughly, will report back in a few weeks.

hrdkore
02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
just sounds like you're gaining muscle mass and as we all know it muscle is heavier than fat. Plus you're also eating more to maintain it so that's why you're heavier. I would say cut back and do cardio, stair climber if you dont like running.

JRSC00LUDE
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by hrdkore
just sounds like you're gaining muscle mass and as we all know it muscle is heavier than fat.

I didn't realize that a pound of one thing weighed more than a pound of another! :eek:

natejj
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I didn't realize that a pound of one thing weighed more than a pound of another! :eek:

lol
I hate doing cardio and avoid it. I'd rather do a quick set of 3-4 different weights to break a sweat instead of running on a treadmill like a hamster. As long as my heart rate is up, feels the same as running.

Everlast
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM

A pound of gold weighs more than a pound of feathers :D

JRSC00LUDE
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by natejj

lol
I hate doing cardio and avoid it. I'd rather do a quick set of 3-4 different weights to break a sweat instead of running on a treadmill like a hamster. As long as my heart rate is up, feels the same as running.

Nothing really beats running for quick cardio blasts but I hate it too and won't do it. I do cycling, even the short burst stuff you get out of bmx or freeride style riding is beneficial and, actually fun. Otherwise, hiking is a great cardio thing too if you have some decent ascent angles to tackle or heavy bush to push through.....it's a good idea to find some regular sustained cardio but yeah, running (especially on a treadmill) is for suckers.

scboss
02-09-2012, 12:09 AM

Nothing really beats running for quick cardio blasts but I hate it too and won't do it. I do cycling, even the short burst stuff you get out of bmx or freeride style riding is beneficial and, actually fun. Otherwise, hiking is a great cardio thing too if you have some decent ascent angles to tackle or heavy bush to push through.....it's a good idea to find some regular sustained cardio but yeah, running (especially on a treadmill) is for suckers.

lol not doing cardio is for suckers. I do pure bodybuilding right now, I do cardio to keep my heart health and help with recovery.
Screw weight loss you should do it so that you lower your bp and resting heart rate. IM 205 at 9% bodyfat (as of 3 days ago) I must be a sucker walking on treadmills all the time :nut:

swak
02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Who designed this cardio shit anyways, guy must have been some kind of moron.
I'm a sucker too I guess... Damn near daily I'm riding my bike in my basement. What kind of idiot does that when he could be doing mad curlz?

CUG
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

lol not doing cardio is for suckers. I do pure bodybuilding right now.
Right, and when you need any sort of athleticism you'll be out of gas in a block. :rofl:

scboss
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I can still do 10k jog without stopping easy :poosie:

CUG
02-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
I can still do 10k jog without stopping easy :poosie: lol that's not bad then. I NEED to do cardio. At least 45mins a day after 1.5hr of weights.

scboss
02-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Hmm I always keep my cardio away from my weight days. Usually 4 days lifting and 2 of cardio/core. I find when I do cardio after my workouts it messes with my recovery, while the off days help with the recovery.

Has your bf been going down consistently?