PDA

View Full Version : Are this Salary Offers Consistent???

Superdooper
01-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm posting this for a friend of mine who's from Ontario. He's 22 years old and will be 23 when he finishes his Masters in Financial Economics.

He has an offer in Business Development/Economics in Alternative Energy in a major oil firm (think conoco, shell, total, imperial). Their offering him an earning potential of 80k - 90k incl. base, starting bonus & end year bonus potential (10% - 25%). Work hours are normal, he will travel and get lots of face time with upper management. He is passionate about the industry but is unsure of the exit opportunities (anyone have any idea?)

He also has a mgmt consulting offer in a consulting firm (think deloitte, accenture ) with an earnings potential of roughly 80k incl. base + bonus. Hours are unpredictable, lots of overtime & travel. He gets to work on interesting projects and probably will get face time with upper management at the companies he consults for and he's heard that the exit opportunities can be good.

In any case, he wants to end up in the energy industry in the long term.

Any advice?

ExtraSlow
01-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Superdooper
In any case, he wants to end up in the energy industry in the long term.
If that's the case, take the job with the energy company.
Salary and compensation at your first job are side-issues. Do something you will enjoy in a field that interests you. The money will come.

Mckenzie
01-21-2012, 12:08 AM
If you can hack the consulting gig for a few years and break your teeth, I'd say it is much more flexible and transferable down the road.

You are also exposed to such a wide array of people, backgrounds and companies, which is great for seeing what things you like, what you don't like and also what other types of jobs and problems there are out there. The work at Big 4s generally suck, but they do pay off down the road.

I have an accounting/finance background and would not step foot in the energy industry so long as it is oil and gas...just doesn't do anything for me.

M.alex
01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
What do you mean by exit opportunities?

93VR6
01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

If you do good consulting work for a company there is a good chance you can at least get your foot in the door for any job opportunities they have in your field.

Best case scenario they love you and offer you a job within their company.

guessboi
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Funny that you are posting this up for your friend and looking for advice. +1 on what ExtraSlow stated...

"Salary and compensation at your first job are side-issues. Do something you will enjoy in a field that interests you. The money will come"

Ven
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Consulting with Accenture is a slack gig other than the travel. Perfect if you're lazy but have a amiable personality and are fine with knocking off some quick and sloppy work at the last moment to fulfill the contract. You'll be in the air more than not, and sent all over the world. Pays good (about 90k) but you'll either get eaten up by the travel, or they'll suss you out for being a fraud and let you go. You can expect a 12 month payoff though when they let you go, so that's good. High rotation position, you're completely expendable and you'll know it. 2-3 years is a good run.

Superdooper
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

I guess what he means by exit opportunities is which of the jobs would give him the highest probability of attaining a management/senior role in the least amount of time or which experience would be more valued by future employers.

Also, back to the original question, is the salary offer for the energy firm consistent with his age, education and the Calgary market?