PDA

View Full Version : WTB: treadmill

Ryan Shawcross
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Anyone know anywhere in Calgary that sells used treadmills? I want something decent but don't really want to spend more than $750. Thanks.

roopi
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Livestrong brand is 60% off at Canadian Tire. You can get a new one for $679, $799 or $950 depending on the model.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp?bmForm=form_endeca_search&bmFormID=1327177587863&bmUID=1327177587863&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fsearch%2Fsearch_results.jsp&bmHidden=OMNITURE_FROM&OMNITURE_FROM=Search&bmHidden=event26&event26=true&bmText=quick_search_term&quick_search_term=livestrong&bmSubmit=quick_search&bmHidden=FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077

C_Dave45
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Go on kijiji. You can get a $2500 machine for around $750.
Buying a $750 "new" treadmill, even though they say it's 60,70, 80% off sale, is still a "cheap" treadmill.

A good quality, smooth treadmill that will last a long time is at least in the $2500-$4,000 range. And there are hundreds that are purchased, and then 6 months later become a "clothes hanger".

Now is a tough time, as everyone is still on their "New Year's" resolution kick. Wait a couple of months, you'll see the kijiji ads increase dramatically.

CanmoreOrLess
01-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Better start making close friends this weekend, cause a good machine is a heavy bitch and you will need strong backs and weak minds for the task.

You get what you pay for in treadmills, the motor is everything as is the $$$ service and parts.

roopi
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Go on kijiji. You can get a $2500 machine for around $750.
Buying a $750 "new" treadmill, even though they say it's 60,70, 80% off sale, is still a "cheap" treadmill.

A good quality, smooth treadmill that will last a long time is at least in the $2500-$4,000 range. And there are hundreds that are purchased, and then 6 months later become a "clothes hanger".

Now is a tough time, as everyone is still on their "New Year's" resolution kick. Wait a couple of months, you'll see the kijiji ads increase dramatically.

True in many cases. Take a look at these machines though. I've looked at them and they are solid machines. Definitely worth the look.

I put a lot of miles on a treadmill each month and if I had to replace my current one I would take advantage of this price.

Pacman
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Agree with looking on Kijiji.

You will be able to find a high end, commercial grade unit in the $400 to $800 price range easily.

I bought a $2,000 commercial recumbent bike for $400. it was 1 year old, rarely used in mint shape on kijiji. The trick is, you have to act quickly as there are lots of people looking for the good quality stuff and snap it up within a few hours of it getting posted.

speedog
01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Better start making close friends this weekend, cause a good machine is a heavy bitch and you will need strong backs and weak minds for the task.

You get what you pay for in treadmills, the motor is everything as is the $$$ service and parts. Well said and the OP missed ours by a week. Yeah, it was quite heavy to move (probably at least 250lbs) but it's out of the house with the vacated space reserved for a new elliptical this week.

Don't scrimp on price - motor, frame and component quality are well worth the bucks. We paid $2,200 12 years ago and never had a problem with ours - worked like new when we sold it last week.

Ryan Shawcross
01-22-2012, 02:47 PM
How much did you sell it for?

speedog
01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
$280, but it was 12 years old and didn't have all the fancy crud that the modern ones do. Multi-speed, incline and programs was about it on our beast.

Ryan Shawcross
01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
I checked out the Livestrong stuff at Canuck Tire, they seem pretty good but the whole city is sold out! I'm thinking of buying this one instead, the Horizon CT7.1. Does anyone know anything about it? Here's the link, thanks:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/4/FitnessWellness/Treadmills/PRD~0840159P/Horizon+CT7.1+Treadmill.jsp?locale=en

roopi
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
I checked out the Livestrong stuff at Canuck Tire, they seem pretty good but the whole city is sold out! I'm thinking of buying this one instead, the Horizon CT7.1. Does anyone know anything about it? Here's the link, thanks:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/4/FitnessWellness/Treadmills/PRD~0840159P/Horizon+CT7.1+Treadmill.jsp?locale=en

It's the same as Livestrong one. They're sold under 2 different names.

Ryan Shawcross
01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Is it worth buying? I know nothing about this type of thing, thanks.

C_Dave45
01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross
Is it worth buying? I know nothing about this type of thing, thanks.

Do some reading:

Horizon Treadmills

However, like most budget treadmills, expect some questionable quality and durability. But not all Horizons are created like this. There are also a few current treadmill models that offer excellent value for your money.

Are They For You?

If you’re looking for cheap treadmills that would look good in your home, then this brand can provide you that. Horizon models may be priced like a budget treadmill but they are far from looking like one. But don’t let their excellent designs fool you. No matter how good they look, they are still budget treadmills, and budget treadmills are not for serious runners.

http://www.treadmilltips.com/horizon-treadmills.html

http://www.treadmilltalk.com/