PDA

View Full Version : Engineering in Europe?

r0g3r
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Have any of you worked as an engineer in europe?

I'm graduating soon and i'm considering going to euro to work, considering sweden..

Did you have to take any equivalency tests when you were there? How were the salaries?

Thanks for your input.

Hakkola
01-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Simply put, you're not going to make as much there as you would here, and the money you do make won't go as far as it would here. The nordic countries are expensive. That said the nightlife is much better and it's a great place to live.

If money is the most important thing to you though, stay here.

Kobe
01-23-2012, 02:13 AM
My buddy was stuck in some POS camp in Russia but was making 12k/month (Rumoured) , however they transfered him and he was making shit money again so he quit...

blitz
01-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Way harder to sell yourself as an EIT vs P.Eng

msommers
01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
^^Agreed, a full designation will go much further.

I know this is discussing engineers but I know with geologists that if you don't have a Master's degree, you're basically limited to working in Australia and Canada. Might be something to look into further.

Hakkola
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
As p.eng there wouldn't be all that much work in Sweden, you'd want to look at Norway.

What kind of engineer is the op?

r0g3r
01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
mechanical engg

does sweden have an engineer association like apegga?

adam c
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I have a client who has offices all over the world and was talking to one of the guys from Sweden, he was telling me that out of 40 engineers he was the only one to land a job there when applying, he said it's quite hard to land a job there as locals are given priority

DboyNismo
02-08-2012, 02:27 AM
i guess this is kind of on topic, going into mech engineering this september and i was just wondering if it is hard to get a job working for an automotive company in europe or a race team? i would imagine so, but this something that has interested me for quite a while now so i might as well ask.

also, if you have your p.eng, does your chances of getting hired go up, and how many years of experience must you have to get your p.eng? (some people are telling me 2, some 3)

thanks.

davidI
02-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Given the currently employment issues in Europe, I would think you'd have a difficult time landing a job without some experience under your belt. That said, working internationally is great, so if you're able to land something I'd certainly go for it.

blitz
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
4 years for P.Eng, you can count up to 12 months of co-op terms I believe.

People have to realize that as an EIT right out of school, you're generally not an asset yet. You need to be trained and babysat for a while. Companies aren't going to go out of their way to higher you just because you've graduated, especially in this economic climate.

ercchry
02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
till you get your p.eng i think alberta is the place to be. if you are willing to do field work $10k/month isnt out of the question. you wont get that anywhere else