PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work in Occupational Health & Safety?

slick2404
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Curious to know if any Beyonders work in this field, as I am thinking of going back to school for a diploma in OH&S. I've been working in the O&G industry for a few years mostly in finance/accounting and would like some change.

If you work in the field, or know someone that does would you mind sharing some insight? Quality/Type of work, your educational background, what one can expect to make on average and your opinion on the current job market.

TIA!

01RedDX
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM

lilmira
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
You'll be the most hated guy lol.

me_dennis
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
the safety guy on our site told me a little bit about the certifications you need. It's something called a NCSO. you take a bunch of courses that's offered near balzac, and you get some work experience in the field working as a safety rep. They make pretty good money from what I've heard.
The guy at my last company was making around $45/hr being a salaried employee (benefits,etc), but I've heard of contractors making $60+/hr straight time, 1.5x after 8 hours, and 2x on weekends.

If you start up your own safety company, you can charge out your truck, computer, cell phone, etc too.

Seems like a pretty easy job. All you do is hold daily tailgate meetings, weekly safety meetings, investigate environmental spills and injuries/near misses/incident reports. You also walk around site, looking for unsafe conditions and potential hazards.

carzcraz
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
I am a Registered Nurse and am two courses away from acquiring my COHN(C) certification in Occupational Health. I work on the "Occupational Health" side of OH&S for a large oil company in town.

My work may not be of relevance to you as I do not function in the role of a safety advisor but rather a Occupational Health nurse. Therefore I am removed from the role of having to perform site safety inspections and hazard identification, as well as incident investigations etc. We do perform A&D testing and assist safety advisors with the health component of worker incidents though.

I thoroughly enjoy what I do, the job is hardly stressful, there are no expectations to work overtime or weekend hours. Work hours are standard - Monday to Friday with EDO's. For a Registered Nurse looking to branch out from the hospital/clinical setting, I highly, highly recommend OH nursing.

From speaking with safety advisors in our company, their role can be rather stressful and often times demanding. This holds true especially if you are the only safety advisor for a site. However, majority seem to enjoy what they do.

I do believe that your workload as a safety advisor is extremely dependant on the company and how much focus, emphasis and importance your employer places on safety. From meeting other OH folks in the same and other industries, it struck me by surprise how much variation there was from one company/industry to another.

Salary wise, 3 years out of university with non-relevant (hospital and private clinic) experience under my belt, my starting salary was around $80K. Three years later and nearing completion of my certification, I am >$100K (excluding company matching, stocks etc.) and still no where near top out salary. The supposed "jump" in salary will occur once my courses are completed.

heavyfuel
01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I've worked closely with OH+S managers in the past. Most make six figures, and not low six figures either, work is extremely stressful, they basically don't have set hours and could be up at all hours of the night investigating accidents, following up on incidents, arranging drug tests, etc. If you love money and hate sleep then it may be a good career for you.

Aside from high six figures that's what my life is like anyways.

Originally posted by lilmira
You'll be the most hated guy lol.

Already am, I've learned to live with it. I'm the type of person that would take sadistic pleasure in writing up that tough guy know it all 30+ yrs exp. tradesman for not using fall protection, for example.

Originally posted by me_dennis
the safety guy on our site told me a little bit about the certifications you need. It's something called a NCSO. you take a bunch of courses that's offered near balzac, and you get some work experience in the field working as a safety rep. They make pretty good money from what I've heard.
The guy at my last company was making around $45/hr being a salaried employee (benefits,etc), but I've heard of contractors making $60+/hr straight time, 1.5x after 8 hours, and 2x on weekends.

If you start up your own safety company, you can charge out your truck, computer, cell phone, etc too.

Seems like a pretty easy job. All you do is hold daily tailgate meetings, weekly safety meetings, investigate environmental spills and injuries/near misses/incident reports. You also walk around site, looking for unsafe conditions and potential hazards.

Very very interesting indeed. Are there any other pre-requisites needed?

me_dennis
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Very very interesting indeed. Are there any other pre-requisites needed?

I don't believe there are many pre-requisites. Most Safety Advisors I've met don't have a post secondary education relevant to the field. One guy was a film student. The other two were from Newfoundland and came out west to work and they just got into safety for the money pretty much.

Take a look at the website below. It's got more info on what you need for NCSO cert.

http://www.acsa-safety.org/NCSO/tabid/62/Default.aspx

idriveabox
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I'd be interested in hearing opinions as well. Currently taking the OHS certificate program through U of A.

Ryan Shawcross
01-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Already am, I've learned to live with it. I'm the type of person that would take sadistic pleasure in writing up that tough guy know it all 30+ yrs exp. tradesman for not using fall protection, for example.

With that attitude, you wouldn't last a day on site.

heavyfuel
01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross

With that attitude, you wouldn't last a day on site.

Hahaha I've lasted 7 years successfully self employed with a way worse attitude, and despite being overly stressed at times, my bills are paid, my trucks just about, but you're probably right, and very astute to point out my sub-par attitude which means I likely don't stand a chance. Thanks for the insight, my proclivities at this point include that I likely wouldn't want attitudes like yours in my midst while trying to earn a living anyways.

Those tough guy tradespeople that pick on the green guys and call them fags for putting sunscreen on and that sorta thing, they need a prick like me to enforce safety, because the like-able kiss ass dork that's gonna look the other way because he wants to be everyone's friend, well one day looking the other way might cost someone their life. I would be led to believe you would need a hate-able prick to proficiently do this job, cus there's not shortage of unsafe fucks with the "I've done it this way a million times" attitude.

lilmira
01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
This guy is right. Most of the time you have to be a prick being in his position enforcing safe work otherwise safety won't happen then his ass is on the line. This doesn't mean he is a prick off work though. This type of position is not for anyone one bit less of a hard ass.

Ryan Shawcross
01-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I've worked in safety for several years, received NCSO certification four years ago this summer. I agree that you must be unwavering when it comes to safety, for you're right, someone might get hurt. However, going in with the attitude of "I'm gonna write up everyone who doesn't suck my cock!" is going to lead you to the unemployment line. Real fast. You catch far more flies with honey.

heavyfuel
01-24-2012, 11:21 PM
I've worked in safety for several years, received NCSO certification four years ago this summer. I agree that you must be unwavering when it comes to safety, for you're right, someone might get hurt. However, going in with the attitude of "I'm gonna write up everyone who doesn't suck my cock!" is going to lead you to the unemployment line. Real fast. You catch far more flies with honey.

Very true. I'm only researching at this time, might not even happen. To clarify, I wouldn't be going to work LOOKING to write everyone up, what I meant is, I can deal with being disliked, and I really don't have a problem doing my job 100% no matter what I'm doing. I would never expect anyone to suck my cock, just play by the rules and do what's expected of you. I sure as shit don't blow anyone or kiss ass either. I don't have it in me. I am terrible at schmoozing, but if you want shit done you'll never have to repeat yourself. That's just the way I am on and off work.

89 Gee Tee
01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
The company that I work for was a small. We purchased a couple of other companies that do oil and gas completions and manufacturing. I had been doing the same job for ten years with growing responsibilities as the company grew. When the Alberta government introduced the Certificate of Recognition (COR) we found the need to conform to this new safety standard. We needed a Safety Guy, I felt that because I had done most of the jobs in the company that I could do this.

Well, I did this job for 3 years. I took all the training that I could get my hands on. The company completed the COR in 1 year and with passing that I thought the hard part was over.

There is so much more to the job then telling people to put on their safety glasses, you are not the safety police. The manager in charge is the only one you tell the problems that you find. He is the one that has to take care of those things, you are to give him the information he needs to make sure he runs everything safely.

I did this job for three years, I went through a fatality that will be with me for the rest of my life. We were going to be the first company charged under Bill C45. Because I was the most senior employee on location where the fatality happened, WHS was looking at me as the manager as well as the corporate representative of the company. I had a corporate lawyer and a personal lawyer. Long story short there were no charges, but in the two years that go by before WHS can lay charges I was in fear of going to jail or a fine up to I think $500,000.

I would just say, it is not for all people. I wanted to make a difference and I hope I did. I am still with the same company.

pgmatt
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds like you have the perfect attitude for it!

dirtsniffer
01-26-2012, 11:14 PM
safety is everyones responsibility. as soon as people realize this we can get rid of the stupid safety guy.

I was sitting in the job shack today and the safety guy walks in to proclaim "there is a gas can over there by the tool shack with no lid on it"
Because of the heavy snow, water was obviously getting in the gas can and he realized that this may be an issue. But instead of just laying the can inside the seacan he decided the better thing to do was to come tell us to do something about it.

oh well douches need jobs too. Also not all surprised that shawcross is a douche. not one bit.

Ryan Shawcross
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm not a safety guy, and I never said I was. Not surprised with your level of comprehension, it is quite common among people educated in Canada.

dirtsniffer
01-26-2012, 11:25 PM
sorry, fixed.

Bobino
01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
I work in this field as well, and as others have stated (89 Gee Tee), it is more broad than most people would imagine. I currently work as a full time ergonomics coordinator (not exactly a "safety guy", but OH&S related) with a fairly large company. I've been in this field for about a year and a half and there seems to be a lot of demand for the work. Hours suck, several positions (within my company) are salaried and overtime exempt, which kind of sucks at times, especially with the long hours associated with incident investigations, follow up work, audits, ect. However, the work is very rewarding if you have a heart for seeing people go home the same way they came in each day, then it's an awesome job.

Really like the feedback in this thread, as I'd like to achieve my CRSP and NCSO certifications within the next few years.

Ryan Shawcross
01-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Douche? Now that's not very mature, is it?

JRSC00LUDE
01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I've worked in safety for several years, received NCSO certification four years ago this summer.

I'm not a safety guy, and I never said I was. Not surprised with your level of comprehension, it is quite common among people educated in Canada.

89s1
01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
safety is everyones responsibility. as soon as people realize this we can get rid of the stupid safety guy.

I was sitting in the job shack today and the safety guy walks in to proclaim "there is a gas can over there by the tool shack with no lid on it"
Because of the heavy snow, water was obviously getting in the gas can and he realized that this may be an issue. But instead of just laying the can inside the seacan he decided the better thing to do was to come tell us to do something about it.

oh well douches need jobs too. Also not all surprised that shawcross is a douche. not one bit.

He was just doing his job, maybe the retard that left the gas can out should have done theirs.

idriveabox
01-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Bobino
I work in this field as well, and as others have stated (89 Gee Tee), it is more broad than most people would imagine. I currently work as a full time ergonomics coordinator (not exactly a "safety guy", but OH&S related) with a fairly large company. I've been in this field for about a year and a half and there seems to be a lot of demand for the work. Hours suck, several positions (within my company) are salaried and overtime exempt, which kind of sucks at times, especially with the long hours associated with incident investigations, follow up work, audits, ect. However, the work is very rewarding if you have a heart for seeing people go home the same way they came in each day, then it's an awesome job.

Really like the feedback in this thread, as I'd like to achieve my CRSP and NCSO certifications within the next few years.

What is your background, ie. education/experience going into Ergonomics?

Bobino
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

What is your background, ie. education/experience going into Ergonomics?

I was actually fortunate enough to land this position with little experience. Without going into too much detail, I worked as an hourly safety person for this company, which basically consisted of inspecting every department daily, incident investigations, and the other fun stuff and was promoted to this position after about a year of doing that. The company I work for is large, so there are two full time Ergonomists based out of headquarters and they provide in-house training for all of the folks in my position.

You may find the following certification useful if you would like to get into ergo:

http://www.ace-ergocanada.ca/index.php?contentid=139

How are you liking the U of A course? I would like to start in the fall once work calms down a bit.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :)

Type_S1
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM

....Still the biggest lying loser on beyond. Don't pay attention to this guy he's a complete retard who thinks he can score 180 on an LSAT but apparently is a lowly electrician, and now has all these certifications as well. :nut:

OP...I talked to one of the OS managers at my work recently and it seemed like he loved his job. I know he makes over 6 figures but he also works sometime retarded hours. If you don't mind being out in the field a lot it seems like a good job.

mark4091
01-28-2012, 08:35 PM
He's right. You won't last long being a dick. The bottom line is that the job needs to get done. Whomever is in charge of you most likely doesn't want the entire job shut down. This goes for the better part of construction, but there's always PCL :rofl:

89s1
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
PCL is a great company.... for acronyms.

people come last

pricks cunts and liars

paycheques come late

pour now, chip later

So many, and i've never even worked a pcl site. :D

C_Dave45
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
PCL is a great company.... for acronyms.

So many, and i've never even worked a pcl site. :D

Obviously a ringing endorsement of your credentials to make such a statement.

I've worked on over half a dozen large PCL sites. ($100 million +) and have worked closely with site-supers, OH&S, and management. I've also worked on large Ellis Don, Cadillac Fairview, Stuart Olsen, etc projects. I can say, by experience, that PCL run a very tight ship. Much tighter than the others I've worked on.
YVR expansion, every Friday after lunch it was mandatory that EVERY person on site shut down, put tools away and join in on an end-to-end clean up of the entire job site. Monday morning you could eat off the floor of that construction site. This was a site with almost 1,000 employees. Almost zero accident rate. Weekly safety meetings. Rewards given to cleanest work areas. HUGE rooftop party that was first class food and booze.

People hear of some stupid acronym like FORD (Found on road dead) and immediately assume it must be accurate.

heavyfuel
01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

....Still the biggest lying loser on beyond.

Have I been usurped? I don't lie tho lol

slick2404
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the insight everyone.

I'm also curious to know what people working in the field think about an OH&S certificate vs diploma.

I've been looking at a few programs and am trying to weigh the pros/cons of each to see which would help jumpstart a career choice.

NAIT - 2 year Diploma
http://www.nait.ca/program_home_77328.htm

BCIT - 2 Year Diploma
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/6850diplt

UofA - 1 year Certificate
http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/study/sciences/ohs/detail1/

garnet
02-08-2012, 10:58 PM
diploma rather then a certificate only, if you are choosing to make it a career path

i worked as OH&S manager for over 10+ years in the patch, and Partnership provincial safety auditor
in a time before OH&S certificate programs were so required, and when actual work experience was the prefered value (rant off)

the fact is that human resources dictates the terms of employees, and they don't recognize less then a diploma, so that or better is your ticket

toward that end goal, align your time and money in training that will further you to achieving a CRSP (canadian registered safety professional)

with a CRSP you'd be in demand, a diploma will get you in the door, a certificate is a starting point only really, but will be entry for the more minor position(s)

there are some specific training in certain fields (O&G and Construction, being a couple of the largest)

here's a link to the CRSP website, start there IMO
http://www.bcrsp.ca/

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshlinks/region/ab.html

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_77328.htm

slick2404
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
^Thanks

I've applied to a few schools above, but as a backup plan does anyone recommend the certificate offered through UofA here?

http://www.extension.ualberta.ca/study/sciences/ohs/

I'm looking to break into the field and work towards more certifications. Anyother tips on where to look for jobs etc would be a bonus. TIA