PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Asian people

Super_Geo
01-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Go hang out with your parents, you heartless bastards!

gXCW5iPIwYY

rage2
01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I wish my parents feel like these old Asians, instead of trying so hard to figure out new ways of getting more money from me. :rofl:

Meback
01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
haha, fuk, I wanna give mom and dad hugs, but i dont even know how.

max_boost
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
:rofl:

No.

jwslam
01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Why does this only have to be at CNY??

Sorath
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

No.

Trinzler
01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for reminding me to collect some red envelopes.

buh_buh
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM
:rofl: All the responses in this thread are so Chinese.

D'z Nutz
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Someone should do one from the child's perspective:

"I don't want to play the piano."
"Do I have to be an accountant when I grow up?"
"Please, no more feather duster."
"LV, not Hugo Boss."

Sympathy negated.

Xtrema
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Man what a guilt trip. Lucky I already paid for dinner yesterday.

V6-BoI
01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Sympathy negated.

I thought it was a doctor or a laywer?

How about:
"90% is still an A"
"I wanna date a white girl"

95EG6P
01-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Good vid makes me sad :(

Neil4Speed
01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

Damn, me too. You guys are heartless or had absolutely brutal upbringings.

eblend
01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Yah, doesn't just apply to asians, after watching I realized i do all those things with my parents, I wish I couldn't but sometimes I just don't have the patience. It is so hard to please everyone :(

bitteeinbit
01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
lol anyone else notice the Petronas logo at the end?

Also (I'm not Asian but...):

o5MJbZ4l4J8

Mibz
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Damn, me too. You guys are heartless or had absolutely brutal upbringings. Or we have relationships with our parents that aren't centered around tender feelings, haha. If I showed my Dad that video he'd laugh and tell me that the only reason I should be showing up at his house is to shovel the driveway.

r3ccOs
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

I thought it was a doctor or a laywer?

How about:
"90% is still an A"
"I wanna date a white girl"

Being that clip was cantonese, I have a feeling it was made in HK

& though scholastics and academics are important... I think the latest generation of parents out there are a bit more realistic with their children's occupational aptitudes ;)

also, the 2nd point doesn't happen that often out there

Hallowed_point
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I feel guilty and I'm not even asian...:cry: Screening grandparents phone calls

n1zm0
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by bitteeinbit
lol anyone else notice the Petronas logo at the end?

they ALWAYS do it every CNY for the past 10 years almost, recently they're the sad ones like this but before it used to be funny with a touch of sadness lol. it's on 2/5 times on commercial breaks leading up to CNY in M'sia my cousins tell me and you'd think the effect wavers off on the local population cause it's on so much but still they come up with even sadder ones every year, basically cousins say that everyone has a small discomfort feeling on for the Petronas CNY ads like westerners have when they watch the Sarah Mclachlan commercial (http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/in-the-arms-of-an-angel-no-no-no.png).

bit of the funnier parts like the karaoke bit (cause it's so true):

C-M1rZAYMM0

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/2/6/nation/8012474&sec=nation

Tik-Tok
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM

It's funny though, as I was watching the video, I was thinking "Isn't the norm for asian parents to push their kids to the limit to work hard, get a good job, and don't stop to smell the roses, and now they want them to slow down after decades of it being drilled into them?"

Then I read the responses in the thread, and confirmed my thoughts :rofl:

Xtrema
01-24-2012, 11:01 AM

It's an Asian thing.

Parents will do anything to help kids and expects kids to take care of them when they are old. That's why they push the kids hard, part of it is ego, the other is sorta like a pension plan. :rofl:

sputnik
01-24-2012, 11:03 AM
This thread has taught me that all Asian parents are manipulative sociopaths.

K3RMiTdot
01-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

Maybelater
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

"I don't want to play the piano."
"Please, no more feather duster."
"LV, not Hugo Boss."

Sympathy negated.

LOL

You know, every time I meet an Asian person who doesn't have an education and doesn't have a decent job I automatically think about hard their parents must be on them over it.

max_boost
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

True story.

:werd:

When you realize it, tell them to fuck off, it's like leaving the Matrix. It's an AMAZING thing.

sputnik
01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
When you realize it, tell them to fuck off, it's like leaving the Matrix. It's an AMAZING thing.

I know what the Petronas CNY commercial should be about next year.

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2012, 12:31 PM

clem24
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
CNY is all about money. And luck. But luck in the sense that you'll make lots of money and be rich.

V6-BoI
01-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It's an Asian thing.

Parents will do anything to help kids and expects kids to take care of them when they are old. That's why they push the kids hard, part of it is ego, the other is sorta like a pension plan. :rofl:

Yup, Chinese parents have huuuuugggge ego when it comes to their kids. They love bragging to their friends about how successful their kids are and how much money they make.

Xtrema
01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Yup, Chinese parents have huuuuugggge ego when it comes to their kids. They love bragging to their friends about how successful their kids are and how much money they make.

And if their kids are failures (failures usually means no $), they will never bring it up in conversations and have difficulties dealing with it when the conversation start to turn to kids.

I can totally see them bitching about your car purchases. Cars lose value, you need to buy houses!

jwslam
01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396216_10150577776438217_608358216_9146081_986518018_n.jpg

<<translation for the gwai lo>>
history's greatest scam
--english here--
"dad and mom will help you save your lucky money"

Xtrema
01-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396216_10150577776438217_608358216_9146081_986518018_n.jpg

&lt;&lt;translation for the gwai lo&gt;&gt;
history's greatest scam
--english here--
&quot;dad and mom will help you save your lucky money&quot;

Lol.

The trick is, visit only family or friends that has less kids than you do. Profit!

van
01-25-2012, 12:08 AM
We're brutal to our parents but you white folks put yours in old folk homes when they start coughing. LOL

trieu
01-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Some of you guys are pretty selfish, I'm excited for the day that I will be able to financially take care of my parents. They've been awesome parents and they deserve to be taken care of. :drama:

cancer man
01-25-2012, 06:33 AM
You Sum Dum Fuks try growing up in an Italian Family.
Asians got it easy.

sputnik
01-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by van
We're brutal to our parents but you white folks put yours in old folk homes when they start coughing. LOL

Hardly.

Most white people would sooner shoot their own children than go to an old folks home.

That's why everyone in old folks homes are white people with dementia. That is the only time we can get them in there.

There is a couple 2 doors down from me. Both are in their 90s still living in the home they bought in 1955. Their daughters mow the lawn and shovel the show but they are still living at home.

sillysod
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
My experiences nobody takes care of their parents like brown people.

European whites aren't bad but North American whites are the only people I regularly hear cussing out their parents, and usually if someone says "i don't talk with my parents" they are Canadian or American.

sputnik
01-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
North American whites are the only people I regularly hear cussing out their parents, and usually if someone says &quot;i don't talk with my parents&quot; they are Canadian or American.

I find the opposite to be true. Non-white people just cuss about their parents on the Internet or when hanging around their white friends at the pub.

White parents do not put unreasonable expectations on their adult kids and let them live life on their own terms once they are adults. However if you are going to screw around and not doing anything with your life it is unlikely that you will be bankrolled by mom and dad for very long.

As a result of this attitude I have a great relationship with my family. They treat me like the adult that I am and I can respect them for the way I was raised.

My mom is happy to be independent of her parental duties and has no desire or intention to move in with either of us when she gets too old to live on her own.

No guilt. No pressure. Everyone is happy. As a result I am more than happy to help my mom out when she needs a hand because she is genuinely grateful.

This is not true for all "white" people though. If you are Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese or from the European eastern block you are still screwed with parents who think that their kids "owe" them something for raising them.

sputnik
01-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Additionally.

If you are an child who's parents...

- Paid your university education in full
- Bought you a car
- Gave you a down payment for a house/condo
- Pay off your credit card

etc.

Be afraid. Your dad might as well be Tony Soprano and one day you will owe him a favour.

im7DFq5jy4k

Super_Geo
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It's funny though, as I was watching the video, I was thinking &quot;Isn't the norm for asian parents to push their kids to the limit to work hard, get a good job, and don't stop to smell the roses, and now they want them to slow down after decades of it being drilled into them?&quot;

Then I read the responses in the thread, and confirmed my thoughts :rofl:

One thing that children of Asian immigrants often forget is the sacrifice in quality of life that their parents gave up when they moved here. It's one hell of an uphill battle having to learn a new language, often having your degrees not be recognized, etc... and with that language barrier definitely comes a glass ceiling in the corporate world. I think it's pretty fair to say that most who had the means to come here moved down one social class (from what would be upper class in Asia to middle class here, etc).

Now, the upside of that trade is that their kids have more opportunity, and can compete with lazy white kids whose parents are more concerned about making sure they have had their daily dose of warm fuzzies and encouragement than drilling into them a ridiculous work ethic (j/k... um, sort of :rofl: ).

If my parents ever end up in a retirement home then I have failed miserably... I probably wouldn't live with them, but I would definitely want to be financially set up to make sure that they have a very comfortable retirement. I've recently had the talk with them that there is no way they are leaving their house to my brother and I. If I we don't have the money to buy it off of them they'll have to get a reverse mortgage and live out their last days without doing whatever the fuck they want.

Maybelater
01-26-2012, 12:19 AM
The light level of racism in here is great, so many people here seem to have knowledge of how it is to grow up with white parents, despite not even being white. What I find annoying is the critical attitudes of many children of non-western heritage towards the typical white family, like it is a flawed structure because white parents don't use their children as floor mats and self-determination is considered important. I'm not saying it is right to let your children run wild and do whatever they want, but is wrong to completely put them under your thumb. I doubt the west would have spawned so many great thinkers that helped formulated such powerful societies if they were taught from day one to never question anything from authority figures and live life in the most structured manner possible.

I'm happy my parents don't and never would treat me like an investment into their future and I'll never act the same way towards any children I may have myself, you're kids are humans not bank machines. Happiness comes before money.

I can understand if you're parents are immigrants and have to sacrifice lots and as a result couldn't save money for retirement. Otherwise, it is beyond me why your parents should be depending on you through retirement, how is it your burden they failed to plan for their future? It is good to assist them in anyway that you can due to their decreased mobility and health, but saving financially for retirement is a pretty straight-forward priority in life.

Maybe I think this way because my parents did little to insure my own future had the proper structure for upward mobility. But, nonetheless I still admit I'd be happy to support them financially if it really was needed and I'd sacrifice plenty to make them comfortable/happy but they didn't have to torment me with the idea that I am/was the greatest burden they have ever encountered in life for me to feel that way, I feel that way naturally.

r3ccOs
01-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater
The light level of racism in here is great, so many people here seem to have knowledge of how it is to grow up with white parents, despite not even being white. What I find annoying is the critical attitudes of many children of non-western heritage towards the typical white family, like it is a flawed structure because white parents don't use their children as floor mats and self-determination is considered important. I'm not saying it is right to let your children run wild and do whatever they want, but is wrong to completely put them under your thumb. I doubt the west would have spawned so many great thinkers that helped formulated such powerful societies if they were taught from day one to never question anything from authority figures and live life in the most structured manner possible.

I'm happy my parents don't and never would treat me like an investment into their future and I'll never act the same way towards any children I may have myself, you're kids are humans not bank machines. Happiness comes before money.

I can understand if you're parents are immigrants and have to sacrifice lots and as a result couldn't save money for retirement. Otherwise, it is beyond me why your parents should be depending on you through retirement, how is it your burden they failed to plan for their future? It is good to assist them in anyway that you can due to their decreased mobility and health, but saving financially for retirement is a pretty straight-forward priority in life.

Maybe I think this way because my parents did little to insure my own future had the proper structure for upward mobility. But, nonetheless I still admit I'd be happy to support them financially if it really was needed and I'd sacrifice plenty to make them comfortable/happy but they didn't have to torment me with the idea that I am/was the greatest burden they have ever encountered in life for me to feel that way, I feel that way naturally.

you are absolutely correct in this statement...

my mother is a sterotypical asian mom...
Chinese & Math Flash Cards starting when I was 2 years old...
Tried to socialize me with only chinese children... well until I could go to school

even at that, I was apparently struggling with english bad enough, a canadian born kid, that I was an ASL student for the first couple years (I didn't know of course ;) but now I figured out why I was in a class full of brown and yellow kids)

My dad on the other hand is very liberal, and honestly... he was far from my mom and wasn't all about setting unrealisitc expectations... and I know he felt bad for me and they constantly fought over the fact my mom would bring out a feather duster and give a solid lashing every single time I had anything less than an A on anything.... report cards to fucking art projects

This is the thing... she comes from a poor background, and her mother was easily as hard on her and her siblings... I'm not justifying anything here, BUT...
My father on the other hand comes from a well established and wealthy family who respects and generation after generation have completed post-secondary education, but do not enforce the burdent of setting an unrealistic goal and the narrow mindedness of being only an accountant, lawyer or doctor.

Though this sociopathic behavior may very well be engrained in Asian/Chinese culture... it is carried forward only by the ignorant and poor I think
as you say.. looking out for your own Children, not for their future, but yours.

thank god my Dad was a cool guy and I got to play sports and do mostly normal "Canadian" things

but I tell you... to this day, I am not a doctor, lawyer or accountant and I am a disappointment in my mother's eye's..

That being said, my brother was fucking in jail, so I wonder what she thinks of him.

Xtrema
01-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
That being said, my brother was fucking in jail, so I wonder what she thinks of him.

She would think she failed as a mother. Another trait is that whatever your kids does reflects on the parents. If your kids go to jail, it's almost as bad as you going to jail.

Disoblige
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
I guess my asian parents aren't the norm then.
They stopped looking at my grades after grade 5-6 when it was mandatory to do Parent-Teacher interviews, and they just believed me when I said I was doing fine and well (which I was). It wasn't because they didn't care, they just trusted me.

My parents would never think I'm a disappointment regardless of what line of work I do, as long as I'm happy and work hard.

I could have turned out pretty bad if I chose that path, but honestly I think this freedom allowed me to be who I am. If I was constantly pressured to perform well, I'd probably be miserable and even resent my parents slightly for it. In the end, less stress for them and less stress for me. Win-win.

Skyline_Addict
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

you are absolutely correct in this statement...

my mother is a sterotypical asian mom...
Chinese &amp; Math Flash Cards starting when I was 2 years old...
Tried to socialize me with only chinese children... well until I could go to school

even at that, I was apparently struggling with english bad enough, a canadian born kid, that I was an ASL student for the first couple years (I didn't know of course ;) but now I figured out why I was in a class full of brown and yellow kids)

My dad on the other hand is very liberal, and honestly... he was far from my mom and wasn't all about setting unrealisitc expectations... and I know he felt bad for me and they constantly fought over the fact my mom would bring out a feather duster and give a solid lashing every single time I had anything less than an A on anything.... report cards to fucking art projects

This is the thing... she comes from a poor background, and her mother was easily as hard on her and her siblings... I'm not justifying anything here, BUT...
My father on the other hand comes from a well established and wealthy family who respects and generation after generation have completed post-secondary education, but do not enforce the burdent of setting an unrealistic goal and the narrow mindedness of being only an accountant, lawyer or doctor.

Though this sociopathic behavior may very well be engrained in Asian/Chinese culture... it is carried forward only by the ignorant and poor I think
as you say.. looking out for your own Children, not for their future, but yours.

thank god my Dad was a cool guy and I got to play sports and do mostly normal &quot;Canadian&quot; things

but I tell you... to this day, I am not a doctor, lawyer or accountant and I am a disappointment in my mother's eye's..

haha, I'm in similar circumstances as you. the only difference is my mom is the one that came from the affluent family and my dad had it harsh as a child.

i think my dad's upbringing and being able to do what he loves in life (career and retirement wise) has made him a much more open-minded and less traditional guy, especially in recent years.

my mom is definitely more of the traditional asian mom/women... more than content to leave the expectations of her future hinging on the responsibility of my dad, and since they split up, me. she decided that it wasn't necessary to get a university education because well, why should she have to?! in her mind someone should always be there to "take care of her" (this phrase is often brought up, even when i was a little kid). it's really coming to haunt her now, whether she realizes it or not as she has been out of work for a few years....however, she appears to be quite content with that as well....

there have been a few instances recently where it's pretty clear that she treats me more like a husband than a son (which is already bad enough being asian). le sigh, lol.

max_boost
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM

I find the opposite to be true. Non-white people just cuss about their parents on the Internet or when hanging around their white friends at the pub.

White parents do not put unreasonable expectations on their adult kids and let them live life on their own terms once they are adults. However if you are going to screw around and not doing anything with your life it is unlikely that you will be bankrolled by mom and dad for very long.

As a result of this attitude I have a great relationship with my family. They treat me like the adult that I am and I can respect them for the way I was raised.

My mom is happy to be independent of her parental duties and has no desire or intention to move in with either of us when she gets too old to live on her own.

No guilt. No pressure. Everyone is happy. As a result I am more than happy to help my mom out when she needs a hand because she is genuinely grateful.

This is not true for all &quot;white&quot; people though. If you are Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese or from the European eastern block you are still screwed with parents who think that their kids &quot;owe&quot; them something for raising them.

I don't always agree with you but this is bang on bro.

CHICHARITZHI
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater

Here in Canada u can apply a student loan without depending of your parents but in Asia is different way, the parents will pay your tuition fees in school until u finished college so that's why u have to pay them back when u get a stable job..