PDA

View Full Version : Supra VS Z

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Alright guys, so I need some opinion and suggestions regrading this. I don't really know much about Supra's so just looking to get as much info about them as I can. I have an opportunity to potentially owning one so I just want to see if it would be a wise thing to do.

Specifically a 1993 MKIV TT Supra, rhd with about 110K km's. I would be getting rid of my Z which is a 2003 with about 75K and some mods (cosmetic mostly w/ some bolt on's). In terms of the value what do you think the above described MKIV should be worth?

But my main concern about the whole thing would be with reliability of a car which is that old. I've never owned a car that old so I am not sure if it's something I should be worried about with these cars or what. Also the resale value. Which one of these would be easier to sell and have better value in say in a couple of years?

Also, what about the winter drivability of these? For example, the Z may not be the best one to drive around in winter but with winter tires it's not too hard or anything. How about the Supra with proper tires?

Any other tips/suggestions/opinions, please feel free to add.

Thanks

That.Guy.S30
01-24-2012, 08:15 AM
MK4 6sp should be 15-20k depending on condition. The auto is 15k max.
They are reliable if they are stock. IMHO RHD isn't worth it and I Rather keep the Z. If it was a LHD it would be a different story.

Check out supraforums if you want more info.

Maxx Mazda
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of RHD. Nor would I reccomend winter driving a Supra...

G-ZUS
01-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Your Z > RHD Supra

KRyn
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
IMHO RHD isn't worth it and I Rather keep the Z. If it was a LHD it would be a different story.

lellowrx7
01-24-2012, 09:19 AM
F that ^^^

There's nothing sexier than the purrrr of a 2jz motor.
I've had friends with Z's and although they do roar with a nice tone there's just that lack of Toyota awesomeness that makes the supra so sick.
Personal Nissan fan but the supra will always take the cake

Unless you throw an FD in the mix. Then I'm stuck

dimi
01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
RHD Supra? I'm sure you can afford a clean LHD example. Also, don't winter drive if you worried about resale

JEFFRIX
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
whats up with everyone selling/trading their Z now a days :cry: 2 people i know traded theirs for a rhd,,,

I feel so alone :drama:

max_boost
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
How about NSX instead.

Sorath
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
dont buy a rhd garbage. swap your Z with something crazy. z33 is the new s14

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys. So seems like the consensus is not to go ahead with this.

Originally posted by dimi
RHD Supra? I'm sure you can afford a clean LHD example. Also, don't winter drive if you worried about resale

I am not really out looking or a Supra particularly or anything. I was just looking at potential trade options that I can do in exchange for the Z.

And for resale I am not particularly concerned with the value. No matter what car it is, it's going to depreciate regardless so that doesn't matter. What I mean is how hard/easy is to sell these sort of thing.

Originally posted by JEFFRIX
whats up with everyone selling/trading their Z now a days :cry: 2 people i know traded theirs for a rhd,,,

I feel so alone :drama:

Haha your Z is a turbo'ed man, so I am sure it's a lot more fun to drive. I personally get bored really fast and that's the only reason I was looking into trading it for something else. I can't exactly justify spending 15K or so on turbo'ing it and then getting bored of it again in a few months time.

Originally posted by max_boost
How about NSX instead.

Haha I deff wouldn't mind one but they are also no where close to the Z value wise. Ideally at the moment I would like to switch the Z and get something different by not having to put too much on the top.

Originally posted by Sorath
dont buy a rhd garbage. swap your Z with something crazy. z33 is the new s14

Again, just like the turbo thing. I can't justify investing any more money in it because I already know it will take me a few months before I am bored of it again and look for something different.

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Here's the Supra in question...

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Mkiv-supra-tt-6spd-W0QQAdIdZ322769592

schocker
01-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Just make sure it's an equal trade (ie. Your car if it's worth 18k+ or your car and cash etc.)
-decent offers will be considered.
20 year old jdm supra :confused:

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
^Yea that's why I was wondering what the value of that car should be a well. I just can't get over how these cars even being 20 years old are worth that much.

Then again similar year NSX's are worth almost double that, so you never know.

Xtrema
01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Always have a soft spot for NSX, Supra, RX-7 from the mid 90s. Golden era of Japanese cars.

JZS_147
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Lol...That thing is a rice rocket. If you're going to buy a cheap RHD Supra buy one that's stock so you're not cleaning up anyone elses mess. As long as you do the scheduled maintenance on them they will last a really long time. Also...if you're going to start modifying it, make sure you take it to someone who knows JZ engines and knows how to build the car right without sacrificing longevity.

And I find the elitest attitude from most people on this thread hilarious... there is nothing wrong with RHD cars.

~Touge/Wangan-
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
^ if anyone would know, jimmy would know.

Joe-G
01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
If you buy RHD, make sure you at least get a turbo model. Don't even bother considering one that is NA.
My old NA MKIV Supra was one slow POS.

jzz30dk
01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
who gives a fuck if its RHD. buying a jdm supra saves you 20 grand for mods anyway:burnout:

AE92_TreunoSC
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
Lol...That thing is a rice rocket. If you're going to buy a cheap RHD Supra buy one that's stock so you're not cleaning up anyone elses mess. As long as you do the scheduled maintenance on them they will last a really long time. Also...if you're going to start modifying it, make sure you take it to someone who knows JZ engines and knows how to build the car right without sacrificing longevity.

And I find the elitest attitude from most people on this thread hilarious... there is nothing wrong with RHD cars.

Except that they are dated, dried up, need shit loads of maintenance and most are beat up and often poorly modified with knock off parts.

Parts are a bitch such as steering mechanic and hydraulic parts, electrical parts and Japan specific parts such as projectors or rear wipers on some models.

They are worth far less for many reasons. On top of the fact they are wrong-hand-drive.

I'd take a Z33 over a beat up JZ with a camry steering wheel on the wrong side.

If you're building for power I'd say JZ, but for all around comfort, performance and styling I'd say VQ

JZS_147
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Wrong, wrong and wrong. Z32's of the same era are dated and dried up. They're junk, just like the Z33. You need to build up an engine just to run over 400whp, they're built weak like most Nissans.

Parts are easy to get, everything is available here. Steering mechanical and hydraulic parts....like p/s lines? Take the line off, take it to Greenline, pay $150 and get it rebuilt. You're an idiot if you're going to Toyota to buy a $900 p/s line.

They are worth less because they are right hand drive. A clean left hand drive Supra is more expensive than a Z33. I still don't see what the big deal is with it being RHD, considering most of you guys were on the RHD bandwagon not too long ago.

Facts:
-The VQ is a giant turd
-The 2JZ is the only production engine in the world that can output 3x it's stock HP, in stock form
-2JZ is capable of 800+whp on a stock head and block
-The 2JZ is more reliable than a junky VQ35

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I guess it's another of those person opinion things. VQ by tons of people is considered one of the best ever made.

Anyways, as far as the purpose of this thread was concerned. I guess the majority is against going for the Supra. And considering how I don't know much about them, I guess I should listen to the majority. Cause as much as I want something different and want to switch it up, I deff don't want something crappy or end up actually downgrading.

JAYMEZ
01-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Keep the Z for sure.. Dont buy a RHD Supra.

JZS_147
01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I guess it's another of those person opinion things. VQ by tons of people is considered one of the best ever made.

Anyways, as far as the purpose of this thread was concerned. I guess the majority is against going for the Supra. And considering how I don't know much about them, I guess I should listen to the majority. Cause as much as I want something different and want to switch it up, I deff don't want something crappy or end up actually downgrading.

Lol.

You're definitely not downgrading by any means.

By that logic, you should buy a Honda, and put Rota's on it, and illmotion decals. Since that is what the majority do and think is best.

shakalaka
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
My main concern is the whole reliability factor. Now you don't need to be a genius to know that a car that is 20 years old is more likely to break down than a car that is 10 years old?

I mean I can't do any work myself what so ever. So I really don't want something that would make me go to a shop and put time and money in every month or so. Plus rhd would be a bit of nuisance for example drive thru's and such. I have no idea about the performance differences or anything, just going with what most people think. It is the whole point of getting suggestions and opinions right.

schocker
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

The VQ is an excellent engine hence why it has been used for a very long time, has always been ranked very well and is used in a large amount of applications. It is also very reliable, not sure what he is going on about. I had my G35 for almost 4 years, zero problems, decent power and torque and it was a nice car not some clapped out pos. The Z33 is a wiser choice for sure.

Ymerej472008
01-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I would HANDS DOWN anyday pickup a Supra over a Z chassis.

JAYMEZ
01-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I was probably one of the first people to own a 2jz in this convo (Had a LHD)... In all honesty , I would not buy a car that old load , just based on the age.. If you want a project car and want to dump money into it.. Then sure , go for it.. But if you have a working and reliable z (With low KMS).. Then you should just stay with it.

star-k
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by schocker

20 year old jdm supra :confused:

Agreed, worth 9g's MAX

star-k
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Lol.

You're definitely not downgrading by any means.

By that logic, you should buy a Honda, and put Rota's on it, and illmotion decals. Since that is what the majority do and think is best.

Should consider an S2000 AP2. Handling will blow your mind.

Kardon
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Well I owned a G35 Sedan, and right now I've got an Aristo. So its kinda like Z vs Supra. In my opinion the G35 and Aristo were very different for being in a very similar category. I've never had the pleasure of driving a MK4, but I've got an idea as I've been in one and I've owned 2 2jz's.

I'll start with the 04 g35, the materials used throughout the interior lacked quality, they felt hard and cheap, where as Aristo's and MK4's feel very premium, with very solid doors and plenty of sound deadening. On the other hand, the handling on the G35 was very precise, much sharper than my aristo, the steering ratio felt tighter, and it reminded me of an E46 M3, but not quite at that level.

The quality of the body is much greater on these 90's toyotas than what can be found today, nissans just can't compare. I'm confident that my old 04 G35 will start rusting sooner than my 92 Aristo. The VQ35 is a decent engine, not great by any means. It does offer a pretty smooth powerband, but the engine itself is far from smooth. It has interesting exhaust note, but as the RPM's climb I found it soon feels very un-refinded; as did it's 6-speed trans. From what I understand later models with the VQ35HR models were equiped with a different trans and clutch so I can't say much about that. The 2JZ is an amazing engine, you'll love how smooth it is at nearly any RPM (it's not that high revving though), and with stock twins the 2JZ offers a very usable powerband with amazing torque on the bottom with huge hp on the top.

I'd trade a clean z for a clean mk4 TT 6SPD, but not for that red one, he's been trying to sell it for ages and it's definitely a rice rocket like jimmy said. A clean JZA80 will hold its value much better than any Z33 in the long run.

JZ cars are very reliable.

Vr4Whore
01-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Except that they are dated, dried up, need shit loads of maintenance and most are beat up and often poorly modified with knock off parts.

Parts are a bitch such as steering mechanic and hydraulic parts, electrical parts and Japan specific parts such as projectors or rear wipers on some models.

They are worth far less for many reasons. On top of the fact they are wrong-hand-drive.

I'd take a Z33 over a beat up JZ with a camry steering wheel on the wrong side.

If you're building for power I'd say JZ, but for all around comfort, performance and styling I'd say VQ

ROFL more RHD hate...

How do you even compare an engine that's capable handling 800hp & tranny that's capable of handing 1000hp on stock internals to a shitty slow VQ?

It's the same car that's 20k less, parts are VERY easy to get, there are importers who can get you the harder parts like the steering rack which is extremely unlikely to fail.

To the OP: why don't you ask any Z owners how long it took them to sell theirs and how long their tranny ran until gears began to grind :) If you're concerned about resale, I can pretty much guarantee you that you will sell a RHD supra faster than a Z simply because the supply of 6 speed RZs is running dry in Japan.

Zs are slow in stock form, please don't argue... a friggin 3000gt that's not even a sports car weighing in at an amazing 3800lb runs 5.5 sec and this is a 20 year old car im comparing it to.

To the OP: Don't be turned down by e-tards, just make sure the supra is maintained and there's nothing to be scared of

Ukyo8
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM

I find the elitest attitude from most people on this thread hilarious... there is nothing wrong with RHD cars.

:werd:

texasnick
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
If it were me I would definitely consider a RHD supra. Probably not that one though. RHD isn't as bad as everyone who has never owned one makes it out to be.

I finally drove a G35 for the first time last year and I was very disappointed with it. Feels anemic in the higher rpms and that exhaust note.....:barf:

Definitely be careful though.....20 year old cars can be a handful regardless of how good they were when they were manufactured.

schocker
01-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by texasnick
I finally drove a G35 for the first time last year and I was very disappointed with it. Feels anemic in the higher rpms and that exhaust note.....:barf:

I loved my g35 especially the exhaust note :guns: :rofl:

benyl
01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
On the other hand, the handling on the G35 was very precise, much sharper than my aristo, the steering ratio felt tighter, and it reminded me of an E46 M3, but not quite at that level.

The E46 M3 had a very loose steering ratio. The G35 must feel like driving a bus.

Back on topic:

:thumbsdow on RHD

schocker
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The E46 M3 had a very loose steering ratio. The G35 must feel like driving a bus.

Back on topic:

:thumbsdow on RHD
It didn't feel like a bus but had the same turning radius :rofl:

Japans Junkyard Treasures, from our shore to your door!
:rofl:

M.alex
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Can somebody provide a simple explanation of this z32, z33, 2jzwhatever supra stuff?

I always thought last generation TT supra + a few thousand in mods = 800hp on stock internals?

sr20s14zenki
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Z32 is 90+ 300zx.

Z33 is 350z

Yes the 2jz will do that power on stock internals. 2jz is engine code for the supra tt engine.

Vq35 is a piece of trash. Anything over 400 ft/lb and your block becomes religious. The don't build them like they used to...

JAYMEZ
01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
JDM or not.. The car is fricking old. You will be spending money on fixing parts.. Every Supra has been well driven , thats why people bought them.

Hallowed_point
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

I agree on that, silver 350Z that rips by my work in Victoria Park (prob a beyonder! ) multiple times a day. Those vq's really do not sound good to me at all revved up :barf: x2:rofl:

JZS_147
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
JDM or not.. The car is fricking old. You will be spending money on fixing parts.. Every Supra has been well driven , thats why people bought them.

I know you had a bad experience with your Supra. But it wasn't the car, it was the builder and tuner, and I'm sure you know that..but it seems like you're dragging that into this thread.

They're built to take a beating. Look how long Reg's has lasted though One Lap of America. 6+ years of flat out racing, plus daily driving it. Look at how our Targa rally car has held up over ACP putting it in ditches and through fences.

When I brought my Supra in, here is what I had to do in terms of maintenance, I'll even put the average costs down to do these services:

-Water pump, timing belt service ($1000 parts and labor)
-Coilpacks, spark plugs, coilpack connectors ($1000 parts and labor)
-Valve cover gaskets ($300)
-P/S flush, replace feed o-ring, clean out strainer ($300)

Based on how many I've done, this is usually what the majority of them need.

Not to mention, it put down 370whp on 91octane fuel on stock turbos and stock airbox BEFORE I installed the Vpro and milked more power out of it.

I beat the piss out of it day in day out, I raced it, I winter drove it. I then sold it to another guy that did the same thing, now it's sold to someone else who's doing the same thing.

Supras are great cars. Better overall compared to the Z.

texasnick
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I loved my g35 especially the exhaust note :guns: :rofl:

I used to like it as well.....then a buddy pointed out that it sounds like chewbacca and I haven't been able to think of it the same way since.

Definitely one of the more distinct sounding exhausts out there......just not my cup of tea I guess.

TRD_jordan
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
LOLOL this thread has so much hate it's hilarious....

comparing a vq to a 2jz is just stupid 2jz is way better built! I agree with the others don't trade for the red one... just import a nice clean stock one.

Kardon
01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by benyl

shit sorry, I wasn't referring to the turning radius, I was trying to explain how the g35 would respond to the slightest input to the steering wheel, much like a e46 m3, but then again I didn't drive it much as it wasn't my car.

If you want to talk about a car with a bad turning radius check the SRT-4

e46 m3 turning radius: 36.1 feet (http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2002/features-specs.html?style=100003687)
1st Gen SRT4: 38.9 feet (http://www.internetautoguide.com/13-13-2004-23-1202-341/2004-dodge-srt-4-base-sedan-specifications.html)

Thats a bus

JZS_147
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Or any AWD like an STi or Evo. They turn like a turtle

JAYMEZ
01-26-2012, 08:55 PM

I know you had a bad experience with your Supra. But it wasn't the car, it was the builder and tuner, and I'm sure you know that..but it seems like you're dragging that into this thread.

They're built to take a beating. Look how long Reg's has lasted though One Lap of America. 6+ years of flat out racing, plus daily driving it. Look at how our Targa rally car has held up over ACP putting it in ditches and through fences.

When I brought my Supra in, here is what I had to do in terms of maintenance, I'll even put the average costs down to do these services:

-Water pump, timing belt service ($1000 parts and labor)
-Coilpacks, spark plugs, coilpack connectors ($1000 parts and labor)
-Valve cover gaskets ($300)
-P/S flush, replace feed o-ring, clean out strainer ($300)

Based on how many I've done, this is usually what the majority of them need.

Not to mention, it put down 370whp on 91octane fuel on stock turbos and stock airbox BEFORE I installed the Vpro and milked more power out of it.

I beat the piss out of it day in day out, I raced it, I winter drove it. I then sold it to another guy that did the same thing, now it's sold to someone else who's doing the same thing.

Supras are great cars. Better overall compared to the Z.

Oh I know dude. Supra is a great car.. Im just looking at the situation here from a car with Less KMs to an older car..

If I was to have the extra cash laying around for a toy car , Id probably be alot more smart with my Supra.. The thing with JDM cars and older cars , its a big hit and miss .. Ive learned not to trust any previous owners of cars . Right now he seems to have a pretty low KM car , and from a logical point of view , id stick with it based on KMS and the age...

If he wants a Supra , then he should look reallllyyy hard for a good one.

sr20s14zenki
01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
How about a 2jz 350z..............

jus sayin.....:poosie: