PDA

View Full Version : Passport expires 6 months from week of departure

cycosis
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Going to Costa Rica for two weeks and I realized my passport expires 6 months from that date. Will I be ok?

Unknown303
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
You are screwed.

beyond_ban
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Cancel your trip right now. You will never see Canada again if you go on the trip.

flipstah
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I would definitely recommend to get that fixed. Unless you have a fetish for some Rico Suave. Prison-style.

Mibz
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Upgrade Foods 30

dannie
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Lol you guys make me laugh :)

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=67000

Read the part about Entry/Exit Requirements

msommers
01-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I believe you can pay extra to have your passport fast-tracked as well.

Also from that link Dannie provided:

Canadians intending to visit Costa Rica require a valid Canadian passport. The passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date of arrival in Costa Rica

Also potentially noteworthy for you!

Although same-sex marriages are legal in Canada, many countries or regions do not recognize them. Attempting to enter as a same-sex married couple may result in refusal by local officials.

Unknown303
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Now why did people have to ruin this thread with actual facts and helpful information..

max_boost
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Now why did people have to ruin this thread with actual facts and helpful information.. :werd:

roopi
01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
If you are renewing a passport you can have it done in 24-48 hours. The renewal process is very simple as long as you have your existing passport and it isn't damaged.

Requirements for Simplified Renewal Process:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx

Urgent Service for $70.00:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng&region=Canada

nj2Type-S
01-24-2012, 09:01 PM
the first few posts were :rofl:

bart
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
umm 6 months what are you worried about, a valid passport is a valid passport

i was flying around the world with 2 days to go on my passport, yes it caused some trouble flying back to canada because they said in europe well if i get stuck somewhere it might expire before i make it back, but i put up a fight and eventually they let me fly

Xtrema
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by bart
umm 6 months what are you worried about, a valid passport is a valid passport

i was flying around the world with 2 days to go on my passport, yes it caused some trouble flying back to canada because they said in europe well if i get stuck somewhere it might expire before i make it back, but i put up a fight and eventually they let me fly

If you are going back to the country where passport is issued, it's not a problem.

But every destination country has different rules, 6 months seems to be commonly brought up because it's the worse case scenario. In the event of denied entry, the airline got you there is responsible to send you back to departure point which may cause a logistic nightmare for them, especially if plane is full. That's why they are usually the one that denies you from boarding, especially for longer, busier trans-pacific/Atlantic routes.

Friend went to Vietnam and got stopped by airline because of the 6 month expiry. But eventually they let them thru. Then he got denied at customs and had to slip them $5 to gain entry. Balls of steel.