PDA

View Full Version : Beyond's 100 Tastes of Calgary!

Pages : [1] 2 3

flipstah
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Fellow Beyonders,

This forum is filled with people of varying tastes. Some love a great steak; others love it spicy and have a kick in their lives; while others prefer a relaxing meal with 'comfort food'.

I read Where's '75 Tastes of Calgary' (http://www.where.ca/the-west/alberta/calgary/75-tastes-of-calgary/) a while back and I've tried some of the ones listed and so far, I agree with what they have.

But I think we can come up with a better list. :)

So here is my challenge. I think if Beyond helps out and contribute, we can easily make a list of 100 things to try in Calgary. Things that we can brag to tourists or friends, whatever...

'(This) is awesome over at (here)' or,

'you gotta try (this) at (there)!'

---

We have come up with a new and fun system to promote the foodie scene within Beyond and to keep the integrity of the list at a high.

There will be a bulk list of dishes that people like but only one dish per restaurant can exist in 'Verified by Beyond.ca' List.

The goal is to have a list of 100 dishes verified by fellow Beyonders.

RULES

1. The list is never solid; any dish in the 'Verified by Beyond.ca' list can be challenged and dethroned, but the challenger has to provide a competing dish.

2. In order to be on the 'Verified by Beyond.ca' list, it has to win against a competing dish of similar caliber

3. Competing dishes are lined up based on one or more of the following criteria:

- Within proximity of each other (Will probably take precedence in the Beyond Foodie Meets for planning purposes)

- Type of meal (ex Main course vs. Main course)

- Similarity of dish (ex. Pho vs. Pho)

-Similarity of cuisine (ex. Japanese sushi vs. Japanese ice cream)

4. If all criteria cannot be met, then the dish will be put in a 'battle royale' pool and will compete randomly with other dishes

5. The competing dishes requires 2 foodies to cast votes (3 in case of a tie-breaker). There can only be one dish out of the two competing dishes to be honored with the 'Verified by Beyond.ca' badge.

6. The foodies will try out either a dish or both dishes in question. It can be done by themselves and reporting back on the thread, or a Beyond Foodie Meat. Beyonders through most positive reviews, will determine which of the two belongs in 'Verified by Beyond.ca'

7. The dish will be graded on:
- Taste
- Presentation

8. Each foodie has to state the dish they tried, why the dish they picked out of the two is the best and deserves to be on the list. Likewise, tell us if you don't think it belongs in the verified list. Use the template below,

- Dish Chosen:
- Taste:
- Presentation:
- Does it Deserve to Be On Beyond's List? (Y/N):

9. If there are different dishes from the same restaurant, they are considered to be duplicates and must compete in-house to be 'Verified by Beyond.ca'; no sudden challenges between dishes!

10. If a dish cannot be ordered under any circumstances, it loses contention and/or their spot on the list

11. If there are >2 unique endorsements for the same dish before any challenge has been implemented, it's automatically verified by 'Beyond.ca'

12. Eat, live, and have fun!

13. CCR is optional lol. Whoever wants to play when we do a foodie meet, has to say they want to play before ordering and must sit together so it's simple for the waiting staff.

EDITED: August 15, 2014

Challenge:

THE BULK LIST:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FECKByn_H8aU95NEpzTWJGSk0/edit?usp=sharing

The following has been verified by Beyond.ca members:

Donuts @ MARKET
Gnocchi @ Borgo Trattoria
4-Maggi Pizza @ UNA
Lobster Poutine @ Brava
Lobster Poutine @ National
Crab Rolls @ Model Milk
Gladys Ridge @ Burger 320
Chicken Liver Parfait @ Black Pig Bistro
Chili Goma @ Shiki Menya
House Roll @ Zipang
Mafiosa Pizza @ Pizzeria Gaga
Duck Fat Poutine @ Charcut
14oz Ribeye at Vintage @ Vintage
Soul In A Bowl @ Over Easy
Brownie @ Choklat
Pumpkin Pie @ Blackfoot Diner
Spicy Italian Sub @ Spolumbo's
Halo-Halo @ Pacific Hut
Rose and Lychee Macaron @ Yann Haute Patisserie
Tenderloin @ LeVilla
Bistecca @ Mercato
Beef Tataki @ Shibuya
Matsaman Curry @ The White Elephant
Smoked Meat Sandwich @ Alberta's King of Subs
Sate Beef Pho @ Basil
Swimming Rama @ Chili Club Thai House
Potato, Onion, Bacon & Cheese Pannenkoek (w/ Sour Cream) @ Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus
Chicken/Beef Donair @ Jimmy's A&A
Duck Poutine @ Laurier Lounge
Crabcakes @ La Vita E Bella
Wild Rose Oatmeal Stout @ Wild Rose Brewery

So come on, foodies! Discuss and let the drool out. It's okay.

schocker
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
I must say I disagree with No. 1. Tried alleyburger once, thought it was pretty gross :dunno:

For a desert: Tres Leches at Bolero?

jdmXSI
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I must say I disagree with No. 1. Tried alleyburger once, thought it was pretty gross :dunno:

Definately agree! I had an Alley burger when they were in Marda Loop and took maybe 3 bites, through it out and got a Montreal smoke meat sandwich at Avenue deli:D

schocker
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Definately agree! I had an Alley burger when they were in Marda Loop and took maybe 3 bites, through it out and got a Montreal smoke meat sandwich at Avenue deli:D
I found it a tad greasy and it had kind of an odd combinations of tastes though. Charcut is still pretty great though. I have been trying as many food trucks as I can but alleyburger is generally the only one that comes near as I am near eau claire. :( The meat poutine from Jojo's BBQ is quite good though.

K3RMiTdot
01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
when i ate at alley burger during the NYE fireworks, i found the burger kind of bland...

flipstah
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM

For a desert: Tres Leches at Bolero?

I found it a tad greasy and it had kind of an odd combinations of tastes though. Charcut is still pretty great though. I have been trying as many food trucks as I can but alleyburger is generally the only one that comes near as I am near eau claire. :( The meat poutine from Jojo's BBQ is quite good though.

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
when i ate at alley burger during the NYE fireworks, i found the burger kind of bland...

Judging by the posts so far, Alley Burger is out. I'd add Tres Leches at Bolero but they have the pineapple already. Adding Meat Poutine from Jojo's BBQ!

Speaking of smoked meats, I'm adding smoked meat sandwich from Alberta's King of Subs!

schocker
01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Judging by the posts so far, Alley Burger is out. I'd add Tres Leches at Bolero but they have the pineapple already. Adding Meat Poutine from Jojo's BBQ!

I checked their website and it is actually called BBQ-Tine not my made up name :rofl:

flipstah
01-24-2012, 10:16 PM

I checked their website and it is actually called BBQ-Tine not my made up name :rofl:

LOL Changed. I saw this thread too:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/344653/the-recommend-your-favourite-restaurant-and-dish-thread/

Are there any contenders in that listing that is worthy of Beyond's approval?

jdmakkord
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
The dairy lane burger at either dairy lane or blue star diner.

R-Audi
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Holy Smoke-Man-wich?

Mercato-Bistecca?

msommers
01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Teatro's take on bruschetta is very flavorful and tastes quite refreshing - different but a must try.

Calamari at La Brezza - the best I've ever had.

Didn't we have a list like this going already?

Edit: link (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/344653/the-recommend-your-favourite-restaurant-and-dish-thread/)

flipstah
01-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Teatro's take on bruschetta is very flavorful and tastes quite refreshing - different but a must try.

Calamari at La Brezza - the best I've ever had.

Didn't we have a list like this going already?

Edit: link (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/344653/the-recommend-your-favourite-restaurant-and-dish-thread/)

Saw the link and not sure if mods can merge or should I delete this thread? I'm doing this thread so that I can consolidate and gather all the info in the first post.

I'm also planning to do video diaries ala Man vs. Food but not as gnarly haha.

kertejud2
01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I would have put in a Rocky's Burger Bus burger, but there can't bee too many burger options. And I'm not gonna lie, if the burger was sold in a restaurant it wouldn't make my list probably, but the whole 'bus' thing adds a certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

If McNally's Extra made it on their list, I propose Wild Rose's Oatmeal Stout should make beyond's.

know1edge
01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
hmmmm

chocolate french toast@ diner deluxe
potato pizza @ una
beef tartare @ living room

pretty much anything from these 3 places is fucking awesome

Kritafo
01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I love the Tres Leches cake from Bolero...but last time we had it, it tasted old.

I don't even want to see a burger or pizza on this list. lol. It's hit and miss all the time with these two items.

I would just about kill for a smoked meat sandwich right now... we are trying to only eat beef once a week it's almost killing me.

dj_rice
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Bone Marrow au Gratin @ Charcut

msommers
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
New format looks great, Flip. Going to have to try all of these on the list!

dannie
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Ocean Sandwich @ L'Epicerie
Bistecca @ Mercato
Duck Confit Poutine @ Bistro 2210
Pan Fried Dumplings @ Dragon Pearl

Those all come to mind for me, but I'm sure I will think of others

CMW403
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM

The one thing I definitely think is missing is a presence of game meats. We're so close to deer, elk, moose, that there HAS to be a place in Calgary that serves it well!

Once compiled, I'll videotape it and post it here to entice you all to complete the list too! Haha!

So come on, foodies! Discuss and let the drool out. It's okay.

The Bears Den serves some nice game. Gotta pay to play though.

Everlast
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Mixed beef and lamb shwarma with everything on it, from Shwarma Knights. Great after the club destination.

flipstah
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Holy Smoke-Man-wich?

Mercato-Bistecca?

Sorry I missed you! Adding entries now!

Originally posted by jdmakkord
The dairy lane burger at either dairy lane or blue star diner.

Originally posted by kertejud2
I would have put in a Rocky's Burger Bus burger, but there can't bee too many burger options. And I'm not gonna lie, if the burger was sold in a restaurant it wouldn't make my list probably, but the whole 'bus' thing adds a certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

If McNally's Extra made it on their list, I propose Wild Rose's Oatmeal Stout should make beyond's.

A lot of burger entries so I think I'll opt the Rocky Burger Bus out. Adding the Stout!

Originally posted by know1edge
hmmmm

chocolate french toast@ diner deluxe
potato pizza @ una
beef tartare @ living room

pretty much anything from these 3 places is fucking awesome

Added!

Originally posted by Kritafo
I love the Tres Leches cake from Bolero...but last time we had it, it tasted old.

I don't even want to see a burger or pizza on this list. lol. It's hit and miss all the time with these two items.

I would just about kill for a smoked meat sandwich right now... we are trying to only eat beef once a week it's almost killing me.

Hahaha we have a dispute on the burger and pizza! Another supporter will get it off the lists!

Originally posted by dannie
Ocean Sandwich @ L'Epicerie
Bistecca @ Mercato
Duck Confit Poutine @ Bistro 2210
Pan Fried Dumplings @ Dragon Pearl

Those all come to mind for me, but I'm sure I will think of others

Macaron... Love em. ADDED!

Originally posted by CMW403

The Bears Den serves some nice game. Gotta pay to play though.

Now, I want to add them and money is no object. What's THE meal to get there?

Originally posted by Everlast
Mixed beef and lamb shwarma with everything on it, from Shwarma Knights. Great after the club destination.

Shawarma is already in the list. Debate? I was going to put Jimmy's but unsure that I like it because of quality or quantity haha.

I added Baked Rice from Forbidden City!

KEEP EM COMIN'!

Disoblige
01-26-2012, 10:21 PM
flipstah, you ever been to TYN (The Yellow Nectarine) Lounge yet? Nice place, and on Thursdays they have a guy playing saxophone around the restaurant. Nice atmosphere, killer food. Girlfriend enjoyed it a lot too.

So to add to the list: Duck Confit Pizza @ TYN Lounge

But overall, food quality at the place is :thumbsup:

Edit: Picture of the pizza if interested:
http://a2.urbns.pn/w/s/HB/QE1wQrOvhxqqQC-640m.jpg

dirtsniffer
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
shwarma knights over jimmys anyday bra, anyday

msommers
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Shwarma honestly for quality, Tazza. Their espresso is top-notch too.

The roast lamb at Santorini reminded me a lot of when I was in Kalambaka, Greece.

Not a classy choice by any means but delicious all the same.Fish n Chips (salmon is the shit) from Pelican Pier.

dannie
01-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Thought of a few more on my drive home tonite:

Corn Fritters @ Chicken on The Way
Dulce Latte @ Phil and Sebastian (if you are doing drinks along these lines)
Taramalsalata @ The Greek Gals in the Farmers Market on Heritage
Brownie @ Choklat
Spicy Italian Sausage (Sandwich) @ Spolumbo's

austic
01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Chicken Confit pizza @ double zero
Rack of Lamb @ Preggos

Neil4Speed
01-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Great idea Flip!

I know this has been discussed Ad Nauseum however, Jimmy's A&A 14th Street still has the best Donairs IMO. Schwarma Knights is also great, but Jimmys is really something special.

Jimmys A&A Deli Combo (Chicken + Beef) Donair

n1zm0
01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
for me, stewed (assorted) beef brisket noodle soup or the proper pronunciation: nyau(ngau) lam mein (or my fan/lo fan or whatever noodles you choose) @ Calgary Court. although i'm not sure most ppl would be 'surprised' to say the least of what is actually included with the assorted brisket lol, makes my day though after a bowl of that stuff.

and also Sfiha(sp?) or meat (i think it's lamb or beef ground) pies @ Village Pita Bakery, the MOST amazing thing i've ever had on a pita, little bit of the hot sauce and lemon juice too. they have been around forever making those, just moved once because they used to be at the old IKEA location (how many of you are old enough to remember where that was) then moved to the SE location i believe. they also have this feta and spinach sfiha , also amazing, we used to put it together with the meat one and make a sandwich, soooo good. edit: here's a review of it i guess: http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2010/07/02/calgary-village-pita-bakery-short-pants-plaza-part-4/

flipstah
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
flipstah, you ever been to TYN (The Yellow Nectarine) Lounge yet? Nice place, and on Thursdays they have a guy playing saxophone around the restaurant. Nice atmosphere, killer food. Girlfriend enjoyed it a lot too.

So to add to the list: Duck Confit Pizza @ TYN Lounge

But overall, food quality at the place is :thumbsup:

No I have not, but I will soon! MMM!

Shwarma honestly for quality, Tazza. Their espresso is top-notch too.

The roast lamb at Santorini reminded me a lot of when I was in Kalambaka, Greece.

Not a classy choice by any means but delicious all the same.Fish n Chips (salmon is the shit) from Pelican Pier.

Added!

Thought of a few more on my drive home tonite:

Corn Fritters @ Chicken on The Way
Dulce Latte @ Phil and Sebastian (if you are doing drinks along these lines)
Taramalsalata @ The Greek Gals in the Farmers Market on Heritage
Brownie @ Choklat
Spicy Italian Sausage (Sandwich) @ Spolumbo's

I'm opting out of the Choklat brownie because when I bought one, it was insanely dry. It was like a damn cookie. Still added until someone agrees with me though.

Originally posted by austic
Chicken Confit pizza @ double zero
Rack of Lamb @ Preggos

Added! Seeing a lot of pizzas here, y'all lol.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Great idea Flip!

I know this has been discussed Ad Nauseum however, Jimmy's A&A 14th Street still has the best Donairs IMO. Schwarma Knights is also great, but Jimmys is really something special.

Jimmys A&A Deli Combo (Chicken + Beef) Donair

Added! And thanks for the thumbs up!

Originally posted by n1zm0
for me, stewed (assorted) beef brisket noodle soup or the proper pronunciation: nyau(ngau) lam mein (or my fan/lo fan or whatever noodles you choose) @ Calgary Court. although i'm not sure most ppl would be 'surprised' to say the least of what is actually included with the assorted brisket lol, makes my day though after a bowl of that stuff.

and also Sfiha(sp?) or meat (i think it's lamb or beef ground) pies @ Village Pita Bakery, the MOST amazing thing i've ever had on a pita, little bit of the hot sauce and lemon juice too. they have been around forever making those, just moved once because they used to be at the old IKEA location (how many of you are old enough to remember where that was) then moved to the SE location i believe. they also have this feta and spinach sfiha , also amazing, we used to put it together with the meat one and make a sandwich, soooo good. edit: here's a review of it i guess: http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2010/07/02/calgary-village-pita-bakery-short-pants-plaza-part-4/

Added and the Calgary Court dish sounds delish! Will have to go with my Chinese friends for that one haha!

Keep it coming, errbody! The list is growing so quickly! And remember; it's YOUR list so it can be disputed but it needs to be two or more votes before it gets off the list.

Also to make it a 'Beyond Official List', rage2 has the final say. If he approves, then it is set in stone.

He has ultimate veto power and can remove an item from the list. He is the boss after all. :thumbsup:

jus_sum_guy
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Proscuitto, spinach & Ricotta Ravioli at Living Room

flipstah
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy
Proscuitto, spinach & Ricotta Ravioli at Living Room

Fuck that sounds good.

Looking at the list and we need more diversity, errbody!

Hit me with some ethnics! I'm adding:

Crispy Pata (Crispy Pork Leg) at Pacific Hut

HybridTheory
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Vietnamese subs at all!

My vote: Beef Sate sub at Thi Thi Subs

AndyL
01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
The Greek place in the fasgas on 17th sw, any lamb there can't be beat

I like my donairs at schwarma king Edmonton tr around 8th, sunshine sauce rawks (don't go for the hot without a sample first, it ain't the sissy hot sauce the other places use)

I'm preferring myhre's deli for msms, way better than king of subs (but their poutine is better)

Farmers market beside shooters edge - on the east end theres a bbq place - you have to try the brisket, omfg!

msommers
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory

Is that the hole in the wall across from the Harry Hay's? If so, agreed!

Kritafo
01-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes Thi Thi best in the city not even their other locations come close to the one in Chinatown.

Cooked Rice
01-28-2012, 02:28 AM
The middle eastern style "meat pies" at El Rouhaa. They have very good falafels and donairs as well, but I find their meat pies a unique item.

Nissanaddict
01-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Tu Tierra - Anything really. Probably doesn't touch southern US Mexican, but it's the best we have. Great flavours in everything on the menu.

I should make the 100 a late 2012 resolution.

dannie
01-28-2012, 06:52 PM
+1 on Tu Tierra... Especially the Entomatadas

hampstor
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Duck Fat Poutine @ Charcut. :drool:

flipstah
01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory

Is that the hole in the wall across from the Harry Hay's? If so, agreed!

Yes Thi Thi best in the city not even their other locations come close to the one in Chinatown.

I can vouch for Thi Thi Subs too! So that's added!

Originally posted by AndyL
The Greek place in the fasgas on 17th sw, any lamb there can't be beat

Farmers market beside shooters edge - on the east end theres a bbq place - you have to try the brisket, omfg!

Added these two! Do you have a name for the BBQ place?

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
The middle eastern style "meat pies" at El Rouhaa. They have very good falafels and donairs as well, but I find their meat pies a unique item.

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
Tu Tierra - Anything really. Probably doesn't touch southern US Mexican, but it's the best we have. Great flavours in everything on the menu.

I should make the 100 a late 2012 resolution.

+1 on Tu Tierra... Especially the Entomatadas

There's a Tu Tierra and a Mi Tierra... Is one better than the other? Adding Entomatadas!

Originally posted by hampstor
Duck Fat Poutine @ Charcut. :drool:

:thumbsup:

AndyL
01-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Added these two! Do you have a name for the BBQ place?

Tossed the box, but according to calgaryfarmersmarket.ca its big d's smokehouse

http://www.calgaryfarmersmarket.ca/vendors/big_ds_smokehouse/#vendor

Oh, and how can one not have mentioned - Lido cafe in kensington? 3.99 hangover breaky - never to be consumed unless hungover :rofl:

rookie101
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM

There's a Tu Tierra and a Mi Tierra... Is one better than the other? Adding Entomatadas!

:thumbsup:

Mi Tierra was their original take out location (now closed), but was replaced by Tu Tierra which is a fully licensed restaurant.

flipstah
02-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Bump for more interest!

We're halfway there! :thumbsup:

[Yu]
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I personally love the "Beef Tataki" from Shibuya. I try to order a beef tataki at any restaurant that serves it, but time after time, its Shibuya's that stays on top for me.

I like it because, the beef is very thinly sliced, its cold, the ponzu is sweet and not too tart. There also isn't an overload of thick sliced onions that rob away the flavor of the beef.

Why I dislike so many other places is because they have too thick onions, too thick slices of beef, sometimes they don't even use tenderloin, it just tastes like a blue rare steak cut thinly...

And my favourite pork chop of all, the one that hails from District (attached to Amsterdam Rhino).

The "Broek Acres Pork Chop" from Broek Acres, raised here in our own province. This thing I believe is the pork belly, and it comes with a HUGEEE bone attached to it. It's practically a meat on a stick. The porkchop basically tastes like bacon the whole way through, but doesn't have that feeling that too much bacon leaves on your tongue.

These are just some off the top of my head, when more comes to mind, I will definitely chime in.

me_dennis
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Falafel wrap or donair from The Chick Pea (8th ave, between 6th and 7th st SW)

Not to be confused with "The Original Chick Pea", which I believe is a knock off.

It's not ridiculously huge like Jimmy's but it's very flavorful.
The sauces, hummus, pickled red cabbage, and falafels are very tasty and hits the spot every time I get a craving for Donair of Falafel.

flipstah
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
I personally love the "Beef Tataki" from Shibuya.

And my favourite pork chop of all, the one that hails from District (attached to Amsterdam Rhino).

The "Broek Acres Pork Chop" from Broek Acres, raised here in our own province.

Originally posted by me_dennis
Falafel wrap or donair from The Chick Pea (8th ave, between 6th and 7th st SW)

Added!

clem24
02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Bo Tai Chanh (rare beef marinated in lime sauce) @ Song Huong. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

flipstah
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Bo Tai Chanh (rare beef marinated in lime sauce) @ Song Huong. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Fuck, that sounds SO good... :drool:

ADDED!

clem24
02-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Fuck, that sounds SO good... :drool:

ADDED!

It's unbelievable. Go try it for yourself. Rare beef in lime sauce, garnished with fresh basil, onions, peanuts, and sliced chili peppers.

b.rock1
02-04-2012, 05:40 PM
lobster poutine at bistro brava. it's a revelation.

flipstah
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by b.rock1
lobster poutine at bistro brava. it's a revelation.

ADDED!

Artega
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Prime Rib at Ric's Grill

Neapolitan pizza at Famoso

codetrap
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Mead @ Codetrap's Backyard BBQ. :) The soft subtle flavors of the Fireweed Honey mead with a hint of clover and cinnamon will slide across your palate like an oiled stripper in a kiddy pool, only without the added STD's.

ercchry
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
lobster corn dogs at ubu lounge :drool:

clem24
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
lobster corn dogs at ubu lounge :drool:

W... T... F...??!??

Kritafo
02-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Mead @ Codetrap's Backyard BBQ. :) The soft subtle flavors of the Fireweed Honey mead with a hint of clover and cinnamon will slide across your palate like an oiled stripper in a kiddy pool, only without the added STD's.

What brand is it, we order our from Chinook Honey...love it. We were lucky enough to get some of the new Ice Mead before Christmas.

Graham_A_M
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Thai nongkhai: (a couple doors west of the old Outlaws, whatever it is now. Directly south of the Dodge dealership on Mac trail).
(Thai Cuisine obviously):nut:

40. LARB NUA / ลาบเนื้อ 14.00

A spicy traditional Northeastern Thai beef dish with ground roasted rice ,
cilantro , lemongrass in lime dressing. (A room temperature beef dish)

- 55. LARB KAI / ลาบไก่ 14.00
A spicy traditional Northeastern Thai chicken dish with ground roasted rice ,cilantro lemongrass in lime dressing. (A room temperature chicken dish)

(Both are extremely good). Some of the other dishes are pretty hit & miss though. Last time I was there none of us had a dish we liked, as we all wanted to try something new.

ercchry
02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by clem24

W... T... F...??!??

pretty much tempura'd lobster on a stick with butter and what not, they are soooo good. and on Wednesdays they are on special for $1

http://ubulounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Skewers1.jpg

Disoblige
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I walk by that place everyday almost. Nice!!

codetrap
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM

What brand is it, we order our from Chinook Honey...love it. We were lucky enough to get some of the new Ice Mead before Christmas.

I bought a 5 gallon pail of honey in Vernon and made it myself. Call it Banyan Vines Mead. :D

jus_sum_guy
02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Pho Sate at Pho Hoai :D

GDCivicSi
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Salt and Pepper Squid at Golden Inn Restaurant.

[Yu]
02-10-2012, 02:03 PM
No hard feelings, but I would say that Golden Inn's salt and pepper squid doesn't seem like anything special same with Famoso's Neopolitan.

If people are going to put foods that are a dime a dozen, could they at least go into explaining what is so special about it and how it compares to other places.

For me, the salt and pepper squid at Golden inn is just a typical fried and battered calamari, with coarse salt, and chilli flakes: with the exception that I rarely see other restaurant throw in real bell peppers in as well.

As for Famoso's the Neopolitan wasn't so special for me, just tasted of a bland sauce, the cheese was nothing to write home about, and the crust started to get flimsy half way through the pizza. If someone is to do such a classic and simple pizza, I would imagine it be done with exceptional ingredients with flavor.

Also, I know this isn't my thread, but how I see this thread is a list that one would suggest to tourists and friends that shows how rich and adverse the tastes of Calgary are. Including chain restaurants and regular foods that are not done exceptionally well seem to be sacrilegious to include in this list.

Disoblige
02-13-2012, 01:40 PM
No hard feelings, but I would say that Golden Inn's salt and pepper squid doesn't seem like anything special same with Famoso's Neopolitan.

If people are going to put foods that are a dime a dozen, could they at least go into explaining what is so special about it and how it compares to other places.

Exactly! flipstah had a great idea, and I would say some of the items on that list shouldn't even be on there. I hate if this list turned into a typical food blog "must try" type place (i.e. Urbanspoon's top 5, etc..) when really it's nothing special at all, or even worse, bad.

I really hope in the end, the list works out..

Also:

-1 for Lobster Poutine @ Bistro Brava. It's so BAD and overpriced. Why? Tiny bits of lobster, barely any cheese curds, fries are so bland, sauce on the bottom of the plate is so watery and unflavorful. Nothing good about it at all. Nothing!

Had it last night, and the food IMO was average at best for the price. Pork shoulder there is brutal as well. Only thing well executed was the seared scallops. They also charged $10.00 for a birthday cake fee and did -not- even tell us about it even though we gave them 1/3 of our delicious cake to them. :thumbsdow

flipstah
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
And this is why every single voice is important! If you feel that some of these items in the list shouldn't be there, then let's dispute.

this is beyond's list and I want the list to represent us :-)

taemo
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
hey flipstah, please remove this

16. Toro Sushi at Reiko Sushi

Reiko Sushi is long gone now in Bankers Hall :cry:

flipstah
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Also, I know this isn't my thread, but how I see this thread is a list that one would suggest to tourists and friends that shows how rich and adverse the tastes of Calgary are. Including chain restaurants and regular foods that are not done exceptionally well seem to be sacrilegious to include in this list.

This is exactly what my intentions are! I want it to be unique and special for Calgarians and tourists so show-off this great city of ours.

Originally posted by taemo
hey flipstah, please remove this

16. Toro Sushi at Reiko Sushi

Reiko Sushi is long gone now in Bankers Hall :cry:

Done

jdmXSI
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I've just recently had Beef Rondow and Pepper beef lunch specials at Keffir Lime in the Kingsland Farmers market and it is easily one of the best $10 lunches I've had.

ryeguy252
02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Lobster Canneloni @ teatros

Dungeness crab & shrimp bake, wilted spinach, aged-cheddar & toasts @ Notable

SIMPLY STEAMED FRESH WILD CAUGHT SEA BASS(G) | LEMON RISOTTO, GINGER, SCALLION,
SEASONAL VEGETABLES, FISH JUS @ VERO

Eleanor
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Original Tubby Dog @ Tubby Dog :drool:

know1edge
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

which one is the og?

ajooo
02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
anyone know Towa's lunch hours?

jus_sum_guy
02-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Dungeness crab eggs benny at Big Fish

max_boost
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by GDCivicSi
Salt and Pepper Squid at Golden Inn Restaurant. It's pretty good.

But!

Salt and Pepper Squid at Ho Won is supposed to be deadly good. Don't know who started this one but it's like VW and electrical problems haha Common knowledge.

ajooo
02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's pretty good.

But!

Salt and Pepper Squid at Ho Won is supposed to be deadly good. Don't know who started this one but it's like VW and electrical problems haha Common knowledge.

+1 for salt and pepper squid at ho won

flipstah
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I've just recently had Beef Rondow and Pepper beef lunch specials at Keffir Lime in the Kingsland Farmers market and it is easily one of the best $10 lunches I've had.

ooo sounds mighty good! Added!

Originally posted by ryeguy252
Lobster Canneloni @ teatros

Dungeness crab & shrimp bake, wilted spinach, aged-cheddar & toasts @ Notable

SIMPLY STEAMED FRESH WILD CAUGHT SEA BASS(G) | LEMON RISOTTO, GINGER, SCALLION,
SEASONAL VEGETABLES, FISH JUS @ VERO

Added!

Originally posted by Eleanor

Originally posted by know1edge

which one is the og?

The Tubby Dog, which is basically the chili dog. I think the Gripper should be the one that's posted instead. Thoughts?

Originally posted by jus_sum_guy
Dungeness crab eggs benny at Big Fish

Added!

Originally posted by ajooo

+1 for salt and pepper squid at ho won

Definitely added!

Remember; disputes are WELCOME! It's good to talk about this so we have 'THE' list in Calgary.

Disoblige
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Had the Salt & Pepper Squid at Ho Won for Chinese New Years with my work staff this year.

The seasoning is right, but it could be more spicy. More chili flakes. But the thing that makes it not as good is that the squid is so tough. It was better than most, but damn would be so much better if the squid was less tough.

Funny enough, I can't really think of a perfect dish of Salt & Pepper squid in Calgary haha.

IMO, -if- you have a picture of what you want to add to the list, it might definitely help people try it. I know when I look at something, it might help me decide if I want to eat it or not.

flipstah
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
IMO, -if- you have a picture of what you want to add to the list, it might definitely help people try it. I know when I look at something, it might help me decide if I want to eat it or not.

I have a better idea for you. Once the list is compiled, I'm doing a vlog about every single dish we have. ;)

On the YouTubes!

Disoblige
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
^^ Oh right, you did mention that before.

know1edge
02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
The Tubby Dog, which is basically the chili dog. I think the Gripper should be the one that's posted instead. Thoughts?

oh haven't been there in awhile forgot about it.
I never really liked the gripper not cause it tasted bad but because it's too much, i pretty much had to eat each part seperately

captains dog though :drool:
most other people seem to like the abomb

dirtsniffer
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
i'll throw in the wor wonton at wonton king, the orignal of barlow location thought. but i haven't been there for a couple years. so im not sure if it's still amazing.. but :drool:

saiyajin
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
It's pretty good.

But!

its sofa king good sam try it out sometime oh and their cream sauce lobster is awesome there too :drool:

hampstor
02-16-2012, 09:07 AM
I'd like to put forward the french fries at CB's Drive Inn. It's not exactly gourmet food like some of the other suggestions, but they are damn tasty and a classic!

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
i'll throw in the wor wonton at wonton king, the orignal of barlow location thought. but i haven't been there for a couple years. so im not sure if it's still amazing.. but :drool:

+1

:drool:

Eleanor
02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
The Tubby Dog, which is basically the chili dog. I think the Gripper should be the one that's posted instead. Thoughts? The gripper is awesome, but i figured I'd put forward their specialty as it's more "universally appealing" haha.

Skyline_Addict
02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
omg CB's drive in fries. could eat those for breakfast.

V6-BoI
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I think the Sate Beef Pho from Basil is probably the best one in town.

[Yu]
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Second this comment :drool:

Also Hampstor, I don't think this has to be about "nice" foods, if what you ate at CB's was exceptional, it would be nice to try it out regardless.

Has anyone tried Yann Haute Patisserie macarons?

Think i'm going to give them a try today.

http://a2.urbns.pn/w/s/Dn/1L2frFyNXTaSfZ-640m.jpg

blibbertibs
02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Unagi tempura at Koto Sushi is delicious. A lot of their dishes are good but don't get their fusion stuff.

phreezee
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Has anyone tried Yann Haute Patisserie macarons?

Think i'm going to give them a try today.

http://a2.urbns.pn/w/s/Dn/1L2frFyNXTaSfZ-640m.jpg

Just tried these today and they are amazing, better than the ones I had in Paris.

flipstah
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Added the following:

French Fries @ CB's Drive Inn
Wor Wonton at Wonton King
Sate Beef Pho from Basil
Unagi tempura at Koto Sushi
Pho Sate at Pho Hoai

And yes, their macarons are the BOOOMMMMBBB! :drool: :drool:

Xamim
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Better than Pho Dau Bo?

dino_martini
02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I have to disagree with:

1. BBQ-Tine at Jojo's BBQ

I have not tried the poutine, but I went and bought a pulled pork sandwich from them and man it smelled like the city landfill. The smell definitely threw off my entire pulled pork experience.

and I also have to disagree with:

3. Smoked Meat Sandwich at Alberta's King of Subs

Went to Alberta King of Subs and man was it disappointing. Myhres Deli on 11st and 14 ave sw is where its at for Montreal Smoked Meat

[Yu]
02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Xamim

Better than Pho Dau Bo?

Their Sate should be very similar, as the owners of Basil are the former owners of Pho Dau Bo. I also agree, that both are tasty and delicious, the sate isn't the typical sate like chilli oil added.

So yea, those macarons are pretty delicious! The colors do scare me though, and the ones with metallic luster dyes as well.

I would suggest that to be on the list if not already on :D

V6-BoI
02-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Xamim

Better than Pho Dau Bo?

Their Sate should be very similar, as the owners of Basil are the former owners of Pho Dau Bo. I also agree, that both are tasty and delicious, the sate isn't the typical sate like chilli oil added.

Yu is absolutely right about the Sate Pho from Pho Dau Bo and Basil. They are both kinda similar, and their Sate Phos aren't just the typical chilli oil added like a lot of other pho places.

And I would say Pho Dau Bo has a really good Sate Pho too, but I enjoy the one from Basil more.

Weapon_R
02-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Pretty similar but the service at Dau Bo sucks so bad that I've stopped going there. You can't even get a table at Basil during lunch hour.

flipstah
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Bumping it up! :thumbsup:

msommers
03-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Have you tried anything yet?

Also Weapon_R, what's so bad about the service? I mean, it's a delicious Viet place, what can you expect :rofl:

flipstah
03-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I bought moar macarons and my wallet regretted it. My stomach and my tastebuds did not! :drool:

I forgot to bring my camcorder but I think I can try and record something this month. :thumbsup: Any requests for the first video?

Field duty is keeping me hella busy and away from Calgary. :(

clem24
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
French Fries @ CB's Drive Inn
Wor Wonton at Wonton King

I don't get what's so special about CB's fries.. They're just fries as far as I can remember.

Wor Wonton *only* if you're white. I tried it once.. It's just really (like REALLY) mediocre wonton with some other crap added in, dumped into some water they call broth. It's only good because the white guy said it's good. Real wonton and real wonton soup tastes nothing like it.

On a related note, anyone here like hot & sour soup? I love that shit (and yes it's an actual Chinese dish, hailing from the Shanghai region, unlike wor wonton). The absolute BEST hot & sour soup is from High Ball, in the strip mall across from the Foothills Hospital. Fuck I'll just start a new thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/350165/hot-sour-soup/) .

bourge73
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I dont get it either, looking on "cough" Urbanspoon they look like frozen crinkle cut fries? (we might as well then start saying McDonalds Fries are amazing!! then....)Sorry I like my Fries fresh.....