PDA

View Full Version : 1999-2003 Acura TL/CL trannies...

Canucks3322
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm looking for an <$5000 car and these things are so cheap now cuz of the tranny problems...

1. How much does it cost to replace the tranny?

2. Is tranny failure random? my buddy bought an 01 with a just under 100k and he hasn't had any problems...there's a white one kijiji with 307,000 and it seems to be still running?

3. How can check it when test driving besides odd shifts and slipping?

4. If it's been replaced already is it safe??

Toyota Racing
01-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I think it really depends on how you drive the car. Like if you shift it really hard then the tranny will be terrible but with a car that has 307 000 KM it's bound to have problems

Canucks3322
01-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Ya I'm staying away from them all I've decided, not worth the headache.

relyt92
01-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Toyota Racing
I think it really depends on how you drive the car. Like if you shift it really hard then the tranny will be terrible but with a car that has 307 000 KM it's bound to have problems Unfortunately untrue on these cars. The transmission is basically made out of glass and most of them are on their second or third transmission. With a cost of 2-3k to replace it, it can really screw with the whole low cost idea of it.

dandia89
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
01 TL @ ~150k and it's been running fine. I should probably check if its on its second transmission or not, but when I bought it it wasn't even mentioned

G-ZUS
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Theres one on here with a blown tranny, 1 owner 185 km, the guys asking around 6k:nut:

03ozwhip
01-26-2012, 08:14 PM
k so i have an '00. its on its second tranny. 3300 to get it replaced and properly fixed. by that i mean, the parts that fail were replaced with better parts so it *shouldnt* fail again for a long time.

also i have a 2 year warranty on it ehich was better than every other shop and the other shops replaced the broken parts with the same parts the break, wtf?

so if it lasts til after then, im happy and ill junk it when it does go. i wouldnt buy more than one tranny on this car unless it was still worth more than 10k.

i would say, if its been replaced within the last 2 years and has receipts and you can get it for 5k, i would do it, i love this car.

tech1
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
i have a 2000 3.2TL
257kms, second owner from new, mechanic maintained, trans serviced every second oil change ( drain and fill, fluid costs 30 bucks), original trans.

i think that silverhill had a bunch of transmissions lined up for recall, if u removed the fill plug on top of the trans and looked onto the converter, if you see that it was a tarnished blue/ heated colour then the transmisson is recommended to be replaced.

Ven
01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
It's too bad because in my opinion those were some of Acura's best cars otherwise. I was considering one too but couldn't take the risk on the trans going, the failure rates were just too high. 1/3 of the cars' price on repairs is just lunacy, especially when you already have an idea of the odds it's going to happen.

Neil4Speed
01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Ven
It's too bad because in my opinion those were some of Acura's best cars otherwise. I was considering one too but couldn't take the risk on the trans going, the failure rates were just too high. 1/3 of the cars' price on repairs is just lunacy, especially when you already have an idea of the odds it's going to happen.

I think the market has priced these cars appropriate to the fact that they do have tranny failures. I would still look at getting one if you found one in impeccable shape and a 01+ model, plus did your due diliagence to make sure the transmission was in good shape. After that, maintain the transmission as mentioned above.

Otherwise, you can always look for a 99+ 3.5RL, no tranny problems, dead reliable, and a very comfortable DD

Aleks
01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Have the issues been fixed for 04+ TLs (new body style)?

Xtrema
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Have the issues been fixed for 04+ TLs (new body style)?

Yes.

Consider that the same tranny is in all V6 Honda today (except 6AT in the TL).

And I believe this only affects American made Honda's.