PDA

View Full Version : Drifting, better then conventional racing??

topher91
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey guys. I see lots of threads on here all about how to drift, drift videos and pictures of crazy drifts:nut: .

Sorry if this is a repost (mods delete at will) but I would like to know if drifting is actually better than conventional (travel the shortest distance w/o losing too much speed) racing. :dunno:

It looks like that drifting would be better becuz you don't lose much speed at all?? Humor me here guys ;) lemme know what you think is better and explain why!!

I tried searching on here already but I didn't find anything helpful, just more vids and pictures and people wanting to drift!!!

What is better??

Chris

rage2
01-29-2004, 07:58 PM
With drifting, you're going slower around the corner, if that's what you're asking. Even though your wheelspeed might be faster, your true speed is actually slower than if you maintained traction throughout the turn.

I find drifting to be a hell of a lot more fun though hehe.

kevie88
01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Conventional racing is far more precice and difficult, and I love it. I appreciate the artistic aspect of drifting tho!! It's like motorized ballet :thumbsup:

I just think Roadraicng at a top level is much harder than drifting.

rage2
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
I dunno man, with say lapping, it takes minimal practice to get to 90-95% of the limit. That last 5-10% (schumacher level) is TOUGH!

Whereas drifting isn't easy. I know I practiced a lot, and I still suck! Fear is a factor, not fear of hurting yourself, but fear of that big bill when u screw up with a drift! haha

hjr
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
drifting is not a race. its a show. Its not racing at all. not at all. not really. Conventional racing (i assume you mean road racing like touring car or something) is an actual timed run around a circut with no marks for 'style'. having said that, drifting is an awsome auto-sport and i hope it keeps growing.

Ekliptix
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Agreed, there is skill involved in both.

88CRX
01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
i dont understand why you would want to "drift" around a corner... and i see no point in it myself :dunno:

maybe thats just because i havent felt the wrath of rwd yet tho :D :dunno:

rage2
01-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
i dont understand why you would want to "drift" around a corner... and i see no point in it myself :dunno:
It's an art man... and it's not easy to get the perfect drift (unless you're the drift king!)

Fast entry, huge drift angles, perfect line and apex, right to the perfect exit spot.... all that while the car is out of control haha.

Ekliptix
01-29-2004, 08:34 PM
It gets a bad name because all the ricers hype it though.

Wooooooo :I'mapicturewhore:

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/drift123.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
It gets a bad name because all the ricers hype it though.

Wooooooo :I'mapicturewhore:

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/drift123.jpg
Yah man it used to be streetracing now its drifting, every one wants to be some kind of supreme drifter, they all think that having the tail come out at the exit of a corner is a drift...then there's the guys who go out and get rwd corolla paint it white thinking that it will improve their driving skill and make them look like a pro:D

Boost Infested
01-29-2004, 08:50 PM
with those jap eyes, its easier for us to drift! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ekliptix
01-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm going to drift my Mustang JDM style, pendulum-double apex full lock YO!

I'm sure there'll be some good entertainment at Race City this season with their Saturday Course Program.

topher91
01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
So basically drifting is all about style.....??? They have races that involve drifting but still have timed runs and 1st 2nd and 3rd (so on and so on) place finishes rite??

I like to watch drifting, rally races.....the pix and articles in SuperStreet......really cool.

Didn't really know what all the hype was about, but very unconventional style racing!!!

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Chris

angierideswitme
01-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Drifting is the fastest way around a corner if done corectly, the only true downside to drifting is tire use. In a long race you want to conserve tire, thus it is faster to not drift and not pit then it is to pit and drift.

sxtasy
01-29-2004, 10:10 PM
well i was reading an article somewhere about where it all started from. Some now famous japanese racer used to drift around the the track during races. It became popular mostly from this guy. I will try and find the article and his name:banghead:

sxtasy
01-29-2004, 10:11 PM
here we go:Keiichi Tsuchiya began racing at a young age as most great drivers do. As he was learning to drive he began experimenting with the side brake or E-brake lever. Sliding the back end of the car out and counter steering was fun and taught him the basics of car control. Unlike many great racecar drivers he did not go to a racing school or have a rich family that was into the racing scene that could nurture his racing talents. He just had the basic passion to drive. Driving through local mountain roads he began to build a sense of where a car needs to be at each turn to achieve maximum speed through a corner. This not being a safe and smart way of learning to race he never the less learned much from running (Touge) mountain pass roads. From time to time he found himself off a cliff with his KPGC10 Skyline or against the side of a wall. Having snow in the wintertime further trained him to drive well on loose surface conditions enhancing again his car control skill. The more he drove on these roads and conditions of various road surfaces he began to get comfortable with sliding the car through a corner. He started to drift not because it was a quicker way around a corner but it was the most exciting way.

Enter the Drift King. Drifting a car through a corner is not the fastest way around most turns any racecar driver will tell you strait out. This is where Keiichi Tsuchiya was crowned the Dori Kin or Drift King. In Option drift contests; style and technique are evaluated for exhibition values. Lately contests have been judged on racing lines and setup for multiple corner drifting, this is more difficult. Back in 1977 Keiichi began his racing career driving many different cars in amateur racing series events. Racing these underpowered cars was difficult but again a great learning experience. Later Keiichi was picked up to drive the ADVAN sponsored AE86/1984 Corolla GT-S. During many races on a downhill corner he would drift the car and carry a better corner speed than his competitors. This technique is what made him the Drift King not as most believe that he was first in the drift scene. As he proved his style of driving his reputation grew. He is a racecar driver now and still takes to the mountains for illegal racing this also made his reputation grow. After videos featuring him and his persistent mountain running/Drifting his driver’s license was suspended! For a professional racecar driver this was embarrassing. Unknowingly this worked to his advantage, his fan base and fame began to expand. You could say that he is a rebel of some sort or because he was just a person who went from nowhere to success out of determination with no racing background. He still has a bond for an old car that he grew up racing, drifting, and winning with, the Toyota AE86. You can see this by his video series dedicated to this car that is called AE86 Club. Toyota itself also felt that he is the person to represent the car most and presented him a restored AE86 through TRD.

kevie88
01-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by angierideswitme
Drifting is the fastest way around a corner if done corectly, the only true downside to drifting is tire use. In a long race you want to conserve tire, thus it is faster to not drift and not pit then it is to pit and drift.

I can't really agree with that at all, I've seen videos where pro JDM drifters do laps in a straightline and in a drift, and the video is overlayed. The straightliner laps were like 5 seconds a lap faster than the drift ones on a small track..

Boost Infested
01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
go download "drift bible"

cappachihngo
01-30-2004, 12:56 AM
hmm well depend on wut kinda racing ur talking about, there are drifting competitions where style and etc count, and there are others where overall time or speed counts...

as for conventional or drift racing, each has it own advantages

drifting is a lot faster on tigh tracks with tons of hairpins (like ur mountains), well a lot faster if u don't drift off the mountain side....

but drifting is pretty much useless in a big wide track with long straights, where conventional racing, has the advantage

rotar2
01-30-2004, 02:09 PM

nope. drifting is not the fastest way around a corner, even if tire conservation wasn't an issue.

that said, drifting is fun, i've only been the passenger in drift rides.. waiting for my rwd car :D

rage2
01-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by cappachihngo
drifting is a lot faster on tigh tracks with tons of hairpins (like ur mountains), well a lot faster if u don't drift off the mountain side....
So you're telling me the laws of physics change on tight tracks and tight roads? :dunno:

Watch any racing on TV. Watch 2 people fight for position on a real tight corner after a long straight. Watch one guy make a mistake and accidently drift into and through the corner. Then watch the other guy who makes it through clean, in control, at the limit of adhesion. That guy will blow past the drifter at the end of the corner, and like buslengths down the straight.

Strider
01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by cappachihngo

This belongs in the "driving misconceptions" thread:whipped:

angierideswitme
01-30-2004, 02:46 PM

What I Mean is just above the limit of grip. like if you go around a corner and all your tires are sliping only slightly, this is faster then not loosing adhsion

You guys are thinking about the high angle back end swingin' driftin we see from jepan and at DRIFT COMPETIONS.

What I'm talking about is the slight loss of traction durring a corner. with the proper technique, this is the fastest way around a corner.

speedracer
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2

So you're telling me the laws of physics change on tight tracks and tight roads? :dunno:

There are physic laws in ANIME? :D

What I'm talking about is the slight loss of traction durring a corner. with the proper technique, this is the fastest way around a corner.

It depends. On loose or uneven surfaces this may be a benefit. The challenge is to obtain maximum cornering force without sacraficing traction.

Any loss in traction is just that - a loss. So the answer is still it depends - doe sit benefit for the next corner...

I think the word your searching for is Slip velocity, Slip ratio...
At any given slip angle as the slip ratio increase the tires capacity to support that load diminishes (ie tires break loose, drift, slide....)

ninjak84
01-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Watching Formula 1 is better than drift competitions.
Drifting is only cool to watch for a bit.

Togue is different though :burnout:

FiveFreshFish
01-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Drifting has its merits in rally racing.

When you race on loose surfaces, the cornering dymanics change and you take a completely different line.

ApexDrift
01-30-2004, 07:02 PM
i would agree with RAGE2 i practiced and practiced drifting and there is a huge fear factor that comes with it... its a art and its not easy!!... both styles of turning have thier good points IMO drifting might have a advantage by setting you up for the next corner, and a quick entry speed while quote "grip driving" (initial D) can give you a over all faster exit speed out of a corner...

frostyda9
01-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
When you race on loose surfaces, the cornering dymanics change and you take a completely different line.

I was going to mention that too....I thought of sprint cars and the massive amount of drift that gets them around the track fast.

silvia_s13
02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
go download "drift bible"

I've looked everywhere for the drift bible. Where can you download it???

legendboy
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
This is a dumb poll. Drifting isn't really a competitive sport. Its more about showing off haha. Drifting is fun. Thats about it. Something about going around a corner sideways, too fast, almost loosing control haha at least thats what it is to me

Ekliptix
02-19-2004, 02:09 PM
yes, like a sideways burnout with the chance of losing control.

nosegrindR
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM

What I Mean is just above the limit of grip. like if you go around a corner and all your tires are sliping only slightly, this is faster then not loosing adhsion

You guys are thinking about the high angle back end swingin' driftin we see from jepan and at DRIFT COMPETIONS.

sorry man this isn't true

hjr
02-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by silvia_s13

I've looked everywhere for the drift bible. Where can you download it??? kaaza, winmx, some junk like that, maybe bit torrent if your h-core haha

boi-alien
02-19-2004, 06:06 PM
drifting is more for showing off than anything. when your tires are spinning out while you're taking a corner you're just losing what could be put to the ground to give you more speed.

CalgaryB5
02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I love to watch people drift their cars. I was stunned when I stand on the mountain road in Japan and watch those people doing that.

Is that a race? Could be I guess.

nosegrindR
02-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
drifting is more for showing off than anything. when your tires are spinning out while you're taking a corner you're just losing what could be put to the ground to give you more speed.

physics major?? is that you?

Redlyne_mr2
02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
having some sort of limited slip is also important, open diff drifts is about as out of control as it gets

That.Guy.S30
02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
anyone watch speed channel today at like 12?
they had the drivers champion race with all racers including the drifters from the wrc and the racers from the us nascar races.. turns out every year the wrc drivers egde out all the other drivers.. but then again it is on half tarmac and half gravel with cars they probably never driven..

[KR3W]
03-02-2004, 10:16 PM
drifting is awsome i love it :thumbsup:

Roaring G60
03-03-2004, 04:16 AM
In a corner a car is always "driffting"(note i use this term lightly) refered to as slip angle in driving instructional course's. without this slip angle the car would not turn, remember once in motion a object will stay in motion in the same plane that it is in motion

hjr
03-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by [KR3W]
drifting is awsome i love it :thumbsup: thanks for such a useful post. An even better one would be a post that contributed to the thread. But good effort anyways.

Xtrema
03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Drifting = Figure Skating

Conventional Racing = Speed Skating

Whatever you're into.....