PDA

View Full Version : Tim Thomas (Boston Bruins) Boycotts visit to White House

v2kai
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/01/26/joe-oconnor-why-tim-thomas-was-right-and-we-were-wrong/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/reaction-to-tim-thomass-white-house-boycott/article2312836/

Thomas explained his absence in a short posting on his Facebook page, writing: “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”

:thumbsup:

desi112
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Its a team game .... all i gotta say.

JRSC00LUDE
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by desi112

I didn't realize they were playing hockey at the White House. What exactly is your point? It isn't like he won't play for someone because of their political stripe. If he doesn't want to go to the White House, good for him - it's his decision.

jdmXSI
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by desi112

At the end of the day it is only a sport. There are alot more pressing issues in America right now and I applaud Tim Thomas for using his fame directly or indirectly for standing up for what he feels is right.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Isn't he one of only two Americans on the Bruins team? :rofl:

desi112
01-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Isn't he one of only two Americans on the Bruins team? :rofl:
yes

TT is known to be a me first type of guy, thats why the rumors are whirlwinding after this action of his of a trade.

Bruins ownership is not very happy.

hurrdurr
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Good on him

Tram Common
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Not sure how I feel about this...

... he doesn't represent all of the Bruins and their fanbase, he's paid by that organization to be part of "the team" ... acting out like this as an individual just makes the rest of the team look bad.

... not sure... :dunno:

sputnik
01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't blame him.

masoncgy
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Apparently the guy isn't allowed to stand up for what he believes in.

Who gives a shit? It's his choice.

Quiet10
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
His own choice and I applaud him for making it for the reasons that he did, but it seemed poorly timed to bring it out to the media the way he did. "I will give you the reason why I am not going to the whitehouse later on my facebook" or something to that extent.

Just overshadows the fact that the rest of his team went and wanted to go because they saw it as a great opportunity.

He could have not attended and then told media later after his team already visited or just not said anything at all.

Sugarphreak
01-26-2012, 03:15 PM

CMW403
01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
I think he's a dum bass.

Who cares about his fucking political stance, he's paid to keep a piece of tar out of a large basket. He only did this so he could make the news and people like you guys would "OMG I APPLAUD HIS INDIVIDUALITY" like a bunch of hipsters.

If he was truly opposed to the current government he would have taken this opportunity to voice his opinion IN THE HEART OF THE BEAST.

Mibz
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
he's paid to keep a piece of tar out of a large basket. You should make a thread where we dumb down everybody's occupations.

HyperZell
01-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
First and foremost, he is a hero for playing so well and costing Vancouver the cup...

Fixed it for you.

hampstor
01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
I've got mixed feelings about this too.

On one hand, good on him for sticking up for his view on Government.

On the other hand, he's there to represent his city, his team, and the NHL.

Originally posted by HyperZell

Fixed it for you.

:rofl:

leftwing
01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
You should make a thread where we dumb down everybody's occupations.

hahahahah

On topic,

Im kind of undecided on the 'issue'. On one hand, good on him for 'standing up for his beliefs' and making his own choice. On the other hand, it's a team game and I don't believe that by attending the ceremony anybody was endorsing the Obama government at all. They wanted to commend the Bruins on their accomplishment and it was kind of selfish to not go. I personally would of went, no matter how much I was against the 'man'.

CapnCrunch
01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
He slept in, couldn't get there in time, so made this up to get out of a fine from the team.

You heard it here first.

masoncgy
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
^ Wouldn't it just be easier to say that then? lol.

kenny
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
USA: Where there is Freedom of Speech and Expression. Just don't say or do anything that doesn't fall in line or they will crucify you.

Back in 1957 President Truman (Dem) refused to go on a ride at Disneyland (Dumbo ride) because it went against his personal beliefs. Guess what? People probably laughed back then. Today it would be front page news and be a huge scandal.

CanmoreOrLess
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Timmy Thomas v Alexander Ovechkin, battle of the most self-centered in the NHL today. No one looking up to these players as team players, Thomas will be sold off before July 1 and Ov will never win a cup.

*I like Boston as a team, always have, douches not so much.

zipdoa
01-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Hahahahaha you have just been on FIRE lately.

spikerS
01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
I have to applaud TT for doing this.

I don't think there is anything in his contract that states he has to attend the white house, as I doubt this would be considered a community event or anything, nor would I think that he is being paid by the team to attend. With that in mind, that leaves him open to allow his personal beliefs to come into play, and he chose to exercise them. Because he is a extremely well known player, it would raise some serious questions as to why he is not there. He chose to put it on facebook, whereas I hardly think him or the team calling a press conference for it would be idiotic on so many levels.

I say good for him!

Mar
01-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I get paid to flip 1s and 0s in a virtual environment.

This guy just became my new favourite player, finally someone who's not afraid to say what they think regardless of what people will think of them.

mark4091
01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Good for him.

:thumbsup:

max_boost
01-26-2012, 05:55 PM
You should make a thread where we dumb down everybody's occupations. Keep up the good postings bro. :rofl: :thumbsup:

Ryan Shawcross
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kenny
USA: Where there is Freedom of Speech and Expression. Just don't say or do anything that doesn't fall in line or they will crucify you.

Back in 1957 President Truman (Dem) refused to go on a ride at Disneyland (Dumbo ride) because it went against his personal beliefs. Guess what? People probably laughed back then. Today it would be front page news and be a huge scandal.

What kind of drugs are you smoking? Personal beliefs? Truman refused to go on the ride because the elephant is the symbol of the GOP, just like the donkey is the symbol of the Democrats. Some people's children. Christ.

broken_legs
01-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I've got mixed feelings about this too.

On one hand, good on him for sticking up for his view on Government.

On the other hand, he's there to represent his city, his team, and the NHL.

:rofl:

He is representing the large portion of the population that are citizens of his country, the city of Boston, and fans of the NHL, that have the same views as him.

WhippWhapp
01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I like it, good for him!

lasimmon
01-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

He is representing the large portion of the population that are citizens of his country, the city of Boston, and fans of the NHL, that have the same views as him.

Wong. Most of boston really did not like the fact he didn't go.

CapnCrunch
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ Wouldn't it just be easier to say that then? lol.

Read the last part of what I wrote.

Hint: He made up the story so he wouldn't get fined by the team.

Antonito
01-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
Who cares about his fucking political stance, he's paid to keep a piece of tar out of a large basket. He only did this so he could make the news and people like you guys would "OMG I APPLAUD HIS INDIVIDUALITY" like a bunch of hipsters. People care enough about them that the White House takes the time to make a publicity stunt out of their appearance to gain brownie points.

Good for Thomas for turning the situation around on them

ekguy
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Not sure how I feel about this...

... he doesn't represent all of the Bruins and their fanbase, he's paid by that organization to be part of "the team" ... acting out like this as an individual just makes the rest of the team look bad.

... not sure... :dunno:

Still has the right as an individual to stand up for what he believes in. Maybe if more americans tried standing up for whats right the US wouldn't be such a fail nation.

ZEDGE
01-29-2012, 04:58 PM
He turned this into something about him and not his team. As far as I am concerned he is a douche bag. Keep your political views to yourself, this was a slap in the face to his team mates. This was not the time to make some political statement.. :thumbsdow

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Timmy Thomas v Alexander Ovechkin, battle of the most self-centered in the NHL today. No one looking up to these players as team players, Thomas will be sold off before July 1 and Ov will never win a cup.

*I like Boston as a team, always have, douches not so much.

Bingo

hampstor
01-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
He turned this into something about him and not his team. As far as I am concerned he is a douche bag. Keep your political views to yourself, this was a slap in the face to his team mates. :thumbsdow

Bingo

I actually happen to agree with some of the shit TT was saying. However if you are invited to represent your employer, and you pull the stunt he did, you'd better start looking for a new job. You're there to represent your employer, not yourself.

ZEDGE
01-29-2012, 05:08 PM

I actually happen to agree with some of the shit TT was saying. However if you are invited to represent your employer, and you pull the stunt he did, you'd better start looking for a new job. You're there to represent your employer, not yourself.

Yes, but this has nothing to do with what he thinks about his government. This was a team event, not some grandstand for him to show up his teammates. It put his teammates and the Bruins organization in an awkward position. Very selfish.

max_boost
01-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Interesting. My simple mind never thought of it from this point of view. I guess I'm just as selfish as TT!

kenny
01-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Shawcross

What kind of drugs are you smoking? Personal beliefs? Truman refused to go on the ride because the elephant is the symbol of the GOP, just like the donkey is the symbol of the Democrats. Some people's children. Christ.

Wow cookie for you! I had no idea what the elephant represented. I mentioned that he was a Dem for no reason. :rofl:

Marsh
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
He's an idiot, just go to the White House if you get invited. And besides hes a goalie, does any even give a shit what he thinks? On the same level as football place kickers imo

dirtsniffer
01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
:facepalm:

SKR
01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Always represent yourself.

jdmXSI
01-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by SKR

Always represent yourself.

+1:thumbsup:

Probably the truest thing I have seen in along time.

sputnik
01-30-2012, 06:33 AM

No employer should EVER force their employees to attend a political (or religious) event.

hampstor
01-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

No employer should EVER force their employees to attend a political (or religious) event.

I agree - an employer should NEVER force an employee to attend a political/religious event, especially if it is out of scope for their job.

I've been sent by employers to political events to represent the company on multiple occasions. I attended and represented the company despite being at events for political parties I disagreed with. There were times I declined to go for various reasons, including where I strongly disagreed with representing the company at said political events. Those times, I declined and simply said I already had plans that evening etc.

Had I, as a representative of the company, said, "I'm sorry, I can't go to this event to represent the company because political party X are causing the decline of Canada" to the public media, I would've been looking for a new job. I have no right to speak on behalf of the company beyond what I was sent there to say.

What I think he should have done:
1) Stay home saying he was unable to attend because his son/daughter/wife/himself/dog was sick
2) Separately, without linking it to the invitation, make the statement that the US gov't is broken (IMHO it is broken).

SKR
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Had I, as a representative of the company, said, "I'm sorry, I can't go to this event to represent the company because political party X are causing the decline of Canada" to the public media, I would've been looking for a new job. I have no right to speak on behalf of the company beyond what I was sent there to say.

What the fuck is this craziness? You tell your company you're not going, you tell them to go fuck themselves, and you go work somewhere else.

As for Thomas, there are 29 other teams that would probably like to have a 4 time All Star, Jennings winner, 2 time Roger Crozier winner, 2 time Vezina winner, Olympic silver medal winner, Conn Smythe winner, and Stanley Cup winner. All awards that he won in the last 4 years. If the Bruins don't like it they can go eat shit.

ZorroAMG
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Some of you need to get your backbone re-inserted if you are going to attend an event that conflicts with your personal beliefs/morals just because a company (or even fucking worse a team that plays a silly GAME) tells you to.

Someone else said it earlier...REPRESENT YOURSELF at all times. Don't make up some stupid story about being sick, it makes you look like an idiot. Stop being such fucking puppets.

HyperZell
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
And besides hes a goalie, does any even give a shit what he thinks? On the same level as football place kickers imo

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k226390_Full%20Retard.jpg

hampstor
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SKR

What the fuck is this craziness? You tell your company you're not going, you tell them to go fuck themselves, and you go work somewhere else.

As for Thomas, there are 29 other teams that would probably like to have a 4 time All Star, Jennings winner, 2 time Roger Crozier winner, 2 time Vezina winner, Olympic silver medal winner, Conn Smythe winner, and Stanley Cup winner. All awards that he won in the last 4 years. If the Bruins don't like it they can go eat shit.

To be clear: if I'm strongly against an event, such as meeting Obama - I don't go. I don't air my reason publicly.

sputnik
01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

I agree - an employer should NEVER force an employee to attend a political/religious event, especially if it is out of scope for their job.

How is visiting Obama at the White House in the scope of playing on a hockey team filled with Canadian and European players?

You have to realize that the US in the midst of an election and if Tim Thomas doesn't want a picture of him smiling and shaking hands with Obama, he shouldn't be forced to do it and the rest of the world should respect his decision.

I've been sent by employers to political events to represent the company on multiple occasions. I attended and represented the company despite being at events for political parties I disagreed with. There were times I declined to go for various reasons, including where I strongly disagreed with representing the company at said political events. Those times, I declined and simply said I already had plans that evening etc.

How spineless of you.

What job do you have that you are required to attend political functions on behalf of your company?

What I think he should have done:
1) Stay home saying he was unable to attend because his son/daughter/wife/himself/dog was sick
2) Separately, without linking it to the invitation, make the statement that the US gov't is broken (IMHO it is broken).

1) Freedom of speech not good enough for you? So instead you have to lie?

2) Oh right, because that isn't completely obvious. That is like calling in sick from work on Monday and then on Tuesday posting Facebook pictures about the drunken stag you went to in Vegas last weekend. COMPLETELY unrelated.

sputnik
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM

To be clear: if I'm strongly against an event, such as meeting Obama - I don't go. I don't air my reason publicly.

However as you stated earlier the ONLY reason you don't air your reason publicly (or even directly to your employer) is out of a fear of getting fired.

Tim Thomas could care less about having to find a new team so he has the freedom (and spine) to say what he wants without being a slave to his employer like you are.

ZorroAMG
01-30-2012, 12:18 PM

You're also not famous so your point is moot. Public figures (celebrity or otherwise) HAVE a reason to air stuff publicly.

hampstor
01-30-2012, 12:21 PM

How is visiting Obama at the White House in the scope of playing on a hockey team filled with Canadian and European players?

It isn't - where did I say it was?

You have to realize that the US in the midst of an election and if Tim Thomas doesn't want a picture of him smiling and shaking hands with Obama, he shouldn't be forced to do it and the rest of the world should respect his decision.

I wouldn't either, and no where did I say he should be forced to do it.

How spineless of you.

I express my views independently of my employer. My views do not reflect on them, I'm there to represent my employer, not my personal views.

What job do you have that you are required to attend political functions on behalf of your company?

Part of jobs I've previously had involved government relations where I had to attend events of all the main political parties. I don't agree with them all, but I still went to express our issues.

Freedom of speech? Nowhere did I say that TT, or myself, can't have an opinion. I'm GLAD he expressed his opinion. I still believe it's in bad taste, and wrong for him to link it to a team invitation.

2) Oh right, because that isn't completely obvious. That is like calling in sick from work on Monday and then on Tuesday posting Facebook pictures about the drunken stag you went to in Vegas last weekend. COMPLETELY unrelated.

Not quite - it's calling in sick to work and saying 'I don't like work'. No posting of pictures about your partying on the day off.

hampstor
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

However as you stated earlier the ONLY reason you don't air your reason publicly (or even directly to your employer) is out of a fear of getting fired.

Tim Thomas could care less about having to find a new team so he has the freedom (and spine) to say what he wants without being a slave to his employer like you are.

That's right - that's why I haven't done it yet. Even if I didn't have to worry about the job, I would still think doing it that way would be in bad taste.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

You're also not famous so your point is moot. Public figures (celebrity or otherwise) HAVE a reason to air stuff publicly.

Edit: (reworded to be more direct with your comments) Yes, I'm not famous (thankfully). I don't believe my point is moot though.

Agreed - celebs/famous people do have a reason to air this publicly and often I'm glad they use their status to bring awareness to issues. However, sometimes, they abuse it, are wrong, or do it in a way that's in bad taste.

codetrap
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
How spineless of you.

This made me laugh.. freedom of speech. Riiiiight. When you're on the job, you don't have freedom of speech at all because you're representing the company you work for. Don't think so? Take a look a JustGo or the other cop on the forum. EVERYONE takes their littlest personal opinion, no matter how much of a disclaimer they put in front of it as "this is the party line"...

And it's not spineless. It's using your fucking head to live up to your responsibilities, it's also called not shitting on the hand that feeds you. There's a world of difference between saying, "Sorry, I won't do that.", and saying "Fuck you man, I ain't shaking hands with the antichrist, you're all fucking crazy! I'm gonna tell the whole world about how fucking crazy I think you are for even asking me to think about it!"

googe
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Tim Thomas is an idiot, to be sure (he is a tea partier and glenn beck fan), but even more stupid is people giving a shit if he skips a political event. At least he has a bit of integrity, unlike the spineless sheep in this thread ;)