PDA

View Full Version : Bring car parts as checked-in luggage

HiSpec
01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
I have a buddy that wants his brother to bring over set of headlights from the states when he's coming down to visit. To my understanding, this is allowable, but his brother will still be charged with tax and custom fees right? But definitely cheaper then going through Fedex/USPS?

CanmoreOrLess
01-27-2012, 09:02 AM
As long as it is not carry on, there cannot be any problems. All fees need to be paid, if the headlights are made in NA the custom fees will be less or none. Anything is cheaper than UPS.

If "he's coming down to visit" is he coming from Alaska?

HiSpec
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Alright, so as long as he states how much it is at the custom he'll be fine.

Oops, I meant "coming up".

Thaco
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
when i went to the US i bought a full catback dual exhaust magnaflow system for my mazda and checked it on the plane, nobody cared other than the fact that i had to pay an extra $50 because it was oversized... it may be a little different because he is an american, but he could just say it's a gift or something...

reijo
01-27-2012, 10:21 AM
One of the things you might have to watch out for is anything filled with flammable liquid.....like when I tried to bring some shocks on a plane. They were not allowed ... because of the oil and probably because of the pressure-filled cannister .... Maybe also enclosed steel so you can't see inside? I suppose a shock could be made into a pipe bomb too? In any case, shocks are a no-no ... ended up driving.

R

Cooked Rice
01-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. Pack it up good, so it doesn't break during handling and transit.

rx7boi
05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm bringing my ECU with me from Calgary to Toronto this upcoming June for a tune.

Gonna buy an extra ECU to bring home as well.

So something like this can't be a carry-on or it's just more convenient to put it in the luggage?

Alak
05-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I recall a story of a fella who brought a transmission (less bellhousing and tailshaft) for a trans-pacific journey as his luggage.

Rat Fink
05-28-2012, 06:17 PM