PDA

View Full Version : Taking a risk on a high km Toyota truck.

Kona9
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
In an effort to save more for a house, I am selling my 09 Frontier Pro 4x, and have found an 01 Tacoma Double Cab for a decent price. It is a second owner truck with the current owner being an outside sales person. He has maintained the truck quite well and the body is in excellent shape. The km are 380,000 with a list of things he has replaced in recent past. I drive a whopping 10k km a year so I am not overly concerned, provided I keep up with the maintenance.

Does anyone have any pointers or knowledge of these trucks that I could make useful with such high kms? I became aware of a certain batch of VIN #s with a frame rust issue where they are instant write offs because of it. I did a search with Toyota as well as the Registry and there are no hits on this truck. Curious about anything else some of you may know to look out for.

CelicaST-162
01-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
In an effort to save more for a house, I am selling my 09 Frontier Pro 4x, and have found an 01 Tacoma Double Cab for a decent price. It is a second owner truck with the current owner being an outside sales person. He has maintained the truck quite well and the body is in excellent shape. The km are 380,000 with a list of things he has replaced in recent past. I drive a whopping 10k km a year so I am not overly concerned, provided I keep up with the maintenance.

Does anyone have any pointers or knowledge of these trucks that I could make useful with such high kms? I became aware of a certain batch of VIN #s with a frame rust issue where they are instant write offs because of it. I did a search with Toyota as well as the Registry and there are no hits on this truck. Curious about anything else some of you may know to look out for.

I believe the Frame rust recall goes up to only 2000. The 5VZ-FE is a stout engine and will run forever if it's properly maintained. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone do a once over on it just to let you know it it needs etc.

-Timing belts are due every 150K
-Lower ball joints should be checked and replaced if worn.
If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Kona9
01-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Thank you! I am having the truck looked at tomorrow. Keeping your points in mind, I will make sure those definitely get looked at.

It drove great. Hopefully there aren't a pile of hidden troubles. I have wanted one of these trucks for the longest times. It will be nice to not have a car payment.

CelicaST-162
01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Great to hear! I hope you buy the truck, a lot of people that own them LOVE them. After you buy it, your new friends await at www.CT4WD.com

n1zm0
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
also iirc the 5VZ-FE is in landcruisers and 4runners? so if it ever comes down to it, a 'lower' km JDM swap for the same engine and it'll probably go another 300k

Kona9
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Well I bought it. It is in pretty decent shape considering the kms. I will be definitely doing my own tune up. (plugs wires, oil, filters etc) I should probably put a new timing belt in as well.

The front makes a humming noise I am not quite sure about. It drives and brakes straight. The previous owner says that the shocks were replaced in December, and the tranny was done in June.

Hopefully thats all. Other things are cosmetic and more fun projects than anything.

craigcd
02-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Post pics!

Tik-Tok
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

The front makes a humming noise I am not quite sure about.

Bearings. 380k km's it's definitely time for new ones, and if he already replaced them recently, the hubs could be worn as well, because of the old bearings.

Kona9
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Bearings. 380k km's it's definitely time for new ones, and if he already replaced them recently, the hubs could be worn as well, because of the old bearings.

Thanks! I have been curious about a hum in the front end while driving at highway speeds. I ve been told by two people it is most likely tires, but the cheap motomasters that are on it aren't knobby enough, but it still could be tires. The previous owner mentioned they (hubs and bearings) should be fine, but I would rather be safe than sorry. So bearings, hubs and timing belt are getting a solid inspection if not replacing for piece of mind at minimum.

Tik-Tok
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Cheap tires definitely make noise too. I'm just speaking from experience with my Subaru. I bought it with 306k km's and the rear end noise drove me up the wall.

I even did the normal "bearing test" (lift in the air and push the wheels side/side up/down), and there was no play, but I changed both bearings and hubs anyways and that god rid of the drone.

se7en
11-13-2012, 01:50 AM
2nd on lower balljoints...They start breaking around 400k.

Do the water pump while you're in there looking at the timing stuff.

The engines, interior, and paint seem to last forever on these trucks though. Worth good money no matter what the kms are.