PDA

View Full Version : Ride Lebanon

broken_legs
01-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Anyone ever do any skiing/boarding in Lebanon?

I'm going to be flying in Beirut tomorrow. Was hoping for some tips on which mountains to hit, car rentals, and accommodations etc..

http://www.skileb.com/

Thx

broken_legs
02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Just an update here.

It snowed for a week before I got here, then we just had 4 blue bird days in a row at MZaar.(Faraya)

The view is amazing. You can see the Mediterranean and Beirut from the summit. Freaking Gorgeous. :drool: Never seen anything like it.

The powder (on the first day) was just as good as anything I've ridden in Canada. Lots of places to find steep and deep. i think 10 or more lifts?

The lift tickets are 65,000 lebanese which is 43$ US.

Rentals are 25,000/day

Mzaar is 45 minutes drive from downtown Beirut. Although on the weekends you can make that 4 hours (it took 4 hours to get back today because is a holiday and there was an accident). Also this was probably the busiest dy of the year, and lift lines were 10 minutes max, most lifts didnt have lines. Skiing is kind of a novelty here?

Its 2480m-1875.

There are massive cornices and lips everywhere, lots of stashes and tonnes of easy access off piste.

No proper jumps. no park. Cheap beer. Yummy food.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Ended up renting a car for 550 (includes insurance? i think? lol) for 8 days.

Lots of awesome places to eat, shop (expensive) and drink all over the place. Everyone speaks some english. If not you can try french if your arabic isn't so hot or just combine all three.

Driving is more civilized than most places I've driven over seas.

BlackRadon
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
thats cheap. How much were flights? and no pictures!! I know it sucks to carry a camera but come on! haha glad you have fun tho, plus lebanese food is great!:love:

broken_legs
02-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BlackRadon
thats cheap. How much were flights? and no pictures!! I know it sucks to carry a camera but come on! haha glad you have fun tho, plus lebanese food is great!:love:

Flew in from Dubai - Flight was 139 USD + 75 for oversize baggage.

I never go anywhere without my camera(s)...

vdLcZDIqdkI

G-ZUS
02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by BlackRadon
plus lebanese food is great!:love:

:drool: :love:

BlackRadon
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

vdLcZDIqdkI

dang thats looks like a lot of fun! great edit to!:thumbsup:

CUG
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Good thing you shaved off that mustache and got rid of the camo hat. I don't even recognize you now. Neat vid. So Lebanon isn't as war torn as some people say it is??

01RedDX
02-06-2012, 06:41 PM

broken_legs
02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Good thing you shaved off that mustache and got rid of the camo hat. I don't even recognize you now. Neat vid. So Lebanon isn't as war torn as some people say it is??

Too much mustache maintenance, it just wasn't worth it...

Lebanon is definitely war torn. There are abondoned hotels where car bombs went off, shrapnel, bullet holes, (even canon balls) stuck in most of the buildings here.

That said though, it's the most civilized ME or Arab country I have been to. All the modern conveniences are here. It seems more like Europe than the ME.

The friends I have here showed me the 'green line'. Basically the city was split in half East Beirut vs West Beirut. Everyone here has guns. The place can go super nova civil war at any time, but I think most people here are interested in looking good, dancing, eating, and enjoying themselves.

Also, it's really hard to worry about what might happen here with all the tits and ass walking around... :drool:

msommers
02-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

vdLcZDIqdkI

Great video man, looks like a blast out there. What software are you using for your video edits?