PDA

View Full Version : $1000 budget, suggest a bike

Trinzler
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm a complete newb when it comes to bikes, I briefly had one from Toys-R-Us when I was a lot younger. I haven't actually ridden a bike in the last decade or so but since work is relocating me closer to my shop I was thinking about getting one. My route is all paved and literally consists of just 2 medium grade hills. What do you guys suggest as a good all around bike that'll last a long time and doesn't require much maintenance ? My budget is $500-$1000.

swak
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Check out bowcycle, and Id buy something along the lines of a cross bike if i were you, because then it will still be enough bike to hit Nose Hill hard, and not make your commute balls (like a MTB would).

Also, im a die-hard for Eurotech Cycle (the owners are gone on holidays until Feb 14th though, so the shop is closed until then unfortunately).

EDIT: How tall are you? and whats your inseam? (whats the length of your jeans?) I may have a good bike for you myself (not bike in pic)... PM me if you're interested.

EDIT #2: I built up my commuter from scratch, bought frame, bars, wheels, etc.... Now my bike after that came to quite a bit over $1000 even though its not the prettiest thing, but its built like a beast... But its another option for you to consider. (also PM me if you want to go this route, and i'll give you some pointers)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/magishn/IMG_2748.jpg

Good Luck!
Ride Fast!!

msommers
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Maybe look into a cyclo-sport since they're a bit more rugged than a conventional road bike and come with more suitable tires.

Pinkbike if you're looking at used, Bow Cycle or Pedalhead for new.

Trinzler
02-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Well unforunately work has relocated me here to Edmonton for the next while so I'll probably be swinging into either united cycle close to white ave. In terms of regular maintenance what am I looking at for one of those cyclosports ? Is there anything special I have to take into consideration other than grabbing a helmet and hopping on ?

Swak - I'm 5'8 and 180 pounds. I'm curious though, when I had my old shitty mountain bike the handles were always higher (almost straight), what is the point of the extended handle bars ? Is it easier to ride longer when your leaning forward ?

Apologizes everyone if I sound like a tard, like I said I'm pretty new to this.

swak
02-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Yes, I think you're referring to "drop bars" (like on road bikes) or "aero bars" (on TT bikes)... But those bars provide for a far more comfortable and natural riding position. And they're often low for aerodynamics more than anything. From the years, I've gotten to the point where its just as comfortable down low as it is sitting upright for the most part.

For maint. Keep your bike clean (degreaser and a rag and simple green does wonders). Other than that just ride (and I'd get er tuned up yearly if you're not familiar with bike mechanics). Then if you become even more serious, go clipless (pedals where you clip in). Have fun dude!!

But besides United's huge shop, I'd also recommend "Velocity cycle" in the NEish end. Smaller shop, but again, great group of guys.

codetrap
02-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Rocky Mountain Fusion.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/rocky-mountain/fusion/prd_363521_1527crx.aspx

Then you're not limited to the pavement like the other suggestions here.

swak
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Rocky Mountain Fusion.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/rocky-mountain/fusion/prd_363521_1527crx.aspx

Then you're not limited to the pavement like the other suggestions here.

Thats actually a really decent bike for the price.
But i suggested a cross bike which is not by a long shot dedicated to pavement.

zipdoa
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by swak

+1 for a cyclocross bike. Super durable. I ride a 2010 Jake The Snake and I go everywhere with it.

swak
02-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

+1 for a cyclocross bike. Super durable. I ride a 2010 Jake The Snake and I go everywhere with it.

Good choice man!
I hole-heartedy believe that the Jake is THE BEST cross bike out there. Period.
Super stiff, nice geo, just a fun bike!

It makes you faster on the pavement than a mountain bike, and its still more than enough bike to shred Nose Hill or Fish Creek with.

Hell, I was marshaling a race at the Canmore Nordic Center, and a racer was racing on a Jake! Blew my mind... Because its real technical out there, and he still placed in top 10.
... i tried to find a pic, so you'll have to take my word on that one :thumbsup:

bmeier
02-02-2012, 05:31 PM

+1 Kona JTS , i have one and its a brilliant bike, fast on the street, eats hills and good for trails.

zipdoa
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Good choice man!
I hole-heartedy believe that the Jake is THE BEST cross bike out there. Period.
Super stiff, nice geo, just a fun bike!

It makes you faster on the pavement than a mountain bike, and its still more than enough bike to shred Nose Hill or Fish Creek with.

Hell, I was marshaling a race at the Canmore Nordic Center, and a racer was racing on a Jake! Blew my mind... Because its real technical out there, and he still placed in top 10.
... i tried to find a pic, so you'll have to take my word on that one :thumbsup:

Wish I ponied up for the Major Jake, but I'm just not at that skill level.

I'm amazed at how agile I can be clipped in. I've done 45' + inclines and powered through it. My only complaint was that at 6'7, I'm able to top it out the bike on flat ground. Probably go with a slightly smaller 2nd ring up front next year.

On that note... if any tall dudes wanna buy my bike, I'll happily part with it and buy 'the fox' from bow!

swak
02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
... You mean bigger ring up front if you're maxing out your gears amirite?

Or buy a new cassette (height has nothing to do with that btw, its power).
I'm only 5'7" and could probably do the same if you don't have a high enough high gear.

JfuckinC
02-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Wish I ponied up for the Major Jake, but I'm just not at that skill level.

I'm amazed at how agile I can be clipped in. I've done 45' + inclines and powered through it. My only complaint was that at 6'7, I'm able to top it out the bike on flat ground. Probably go with a slightly smaller 2nd ring up front next year.

On that note... if any tall dudes wanna buy my bike, I'll happily part with it and buy 'the fox' from bow!

How muhh? i need a form of cardio that my ADD wont interfere with. i was going to buy a bike last year but just got too busy.

codetrap
02-02-2012, 10:01 PM

I looked over that Jake, I didn't realize they were as reinforced as they actually are. I can see why for urban and light cross you'd do well on them. The geometry of that Jake is *very* similar to the KHS Montana Summit I had back in the 90's. I'd changed out the regular bars and put aero's on it, then proceeded to rack up a few thousand clicks per summer. :) Which is why I need new hips now.. *sigh*..

Still have that bike in storage at my parents too. Fun one to book around in the back country north of Edtn, and up through the river valley there. Ah the memories.... 8D

Live2Ride
02-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Is it the 61cm?

brucebanner
02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Instead of a new thread, I'll bump this one.

Thinking of picking a bike up as well. Strictly a road bike as I don't see myself ever riding any different terrain. Sort of the same budget as OP, upwards to $1000.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'5~ 245lbs. So what would you guys suggest?

zipdoa
02-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

How muhh? i need a form of cardio that my ADD wont interfere with. i was going to buy a bike last year but just got too busy.

Not sure what it's worth... it's minty though. $800?

Originally posted by Live2Ride

Is it the 61cm?

Yes Sir. Apparently fits big though.

waypastfast
02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/elite-road/caad8/2012-caad8-7-sora-25382

Cannondale makes a solid road bike for bigger guys!!

Mtn Tow
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM

brucebanner
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Alright Beyond, I have my search down to two bikes I believe and I need your guy's help to decide which is a better bike, with better components.

Looking between a Jamis Allegro3x and a Asama Velocite

The Jamis:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/allegro/11_allegro3x.html

The Asama:
http://www.asamabicycles.com/asama_bicycles_detail.php?i=1544

Both come in under the set budget, I just would like some solid opinions on which is a better bike(or something better altogether).

What do you guys think?

bspot
05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Without even looking at components, etc, if the Jamis is an alright bike, get that.

Despite what these cyclocross guys say, having a little front suspension is a great thing for a commuter.

If you have any rooty paths or anything, you'll hate your life on a rigid fork. Dropping off curbs etc, it's just nice to have a little bit of suspension.

Pathway riding you don't need a crazy fast bike, it's not even legal to go over 20km/h. I ride a 15 year old retardedly heavy mountainbike with city slick tires for a commuter, and I can hold 30km/h with no problem.

Cyclocross bikes:

-slower than XC bikes on trails
-can't do DH at all
-slower than road bikes on roads

Sorry cross guys, flame away, but unless you are commuting on a shale path through the country every day, I see no reason to own a cross bike.

brucebanner
05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Without even looking at components, etc, if the Jamis is an alright bike, get that.

Despite what these cyclocross guys say, having a little front suspension is a great thing for a commuter.

If you have any rooty paths or anything, you'll hate your life on a rigid fork. Dropping off curbs etc, it's just nice to have a little bit of suspension.

Pathway riding you don't need a crazy fast bike, it's not even legal to go over 20km/h. I ride a 15 year old retardedly heavy mountainbike with city slick tires for a commuter, and I can hold 30km/h with no problem.

Cyclocross bikes:

-slower than XC bikes on trails
-can't do DH at all
-slower than road bikes on roads

Sorry cross guys, flame away, but unless you are commuting on a shale path through the country every day, I see no reason to own a cross bike.

I wanted the stiff frame just because my riding will be 99.9% road riding and I don't want to lose energy through suspension. I'm purchasing the bike mainly to commute to and from the gym on my days off. The bike will not be ridden for any other reason really.

The Jamis has the ability to lockout the front fork which could be a good option to have.

I haven't seen either bike in person. Have to order both in, unfortunately.

EDIT: Turns out, the dealer I was dealing with cannot get that model Jamis anymore. Fuuuuck! :bullshit:

Anyone have some suggestions? I have to order in, as Red Deer BLOWS for bike stock.

Anyone? haha

brucebanner
05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone have anything?

FixedGear
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/magishn/IMG_2748.jpg

sweet ride man

brucebanner
05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Alright guys, I fiiiinnnnallly have a bike ordered up. Pretty stoked and I can't wait to get to riding next week when I'm back on days off.

I wanted to purchase something local in Red Deer instead of going to Calgary or Edmonton in case I had any issues with the bike - much easier to deal locally then having to travel to either city.

Ended up going through Rod @ Savy Cycle (www.savycycle.ca) and I have nothing but good things to say about him so far. I'm totally new to biking again and he has been nothing but patient with me as what I wanted changed the more I researched about current bikes and components.

From our numerous conversations and emails, we decided that a Louis Garneau Urbania SX 1(http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/product/310649/2302071/Performance/URBANIA_SX1_BIKE) suited my needs well. Also upgrading some of the components of the bike right off the hop to meet my "wants".

Should be picking the bike up on the 15th, as long as there isn't any issues between now and then. That and me not working OT. Looking forward to getting in a solid biking season!

zipdoa
05-08-2012, 02:03 AM
If anyone is still in the market for a Cyclocross bike, I just grabbed a 61CM Kona 'The Fox' with some $$$ upgrades that I've decided to sell. Awesome bike, I just decided I want to sell both my DH and Cyclo bikes to get a carbon Nomad.

$1300!

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7924/img0409fw.jpg

megavolt
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Did you even ride that bike? Seems like I just bought your Jake the Snake from you (loving it for my commuter/long haul bike btw).

zipdoa
05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by megavolt
Did you even ride that bike? Seems like I just bought your Jake the Snake from you (loving it for my commuter/long haul bike btw).

Rode it once :(

I just sold my DH bike, and really want an AM bike to get the best of both worlds (Santa Cruz Nomad = $$$). That means I need to get rid of the Fox as well.

Glad to hear your enjoying the Jake! If I haven't sold it by the time I'm back from Europe, we should definitely go for a ride. When is the Ride to Conquer Cancer?

megavolt
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
June 23-24... coming up soon. Longest ride I've done so far is 88KM.

Now I'm thinking of doing the Mountain Bike race for the Corporate Challenge on the Jake. Could be fun. :P