PDA

View Full Version : G35 coupe/350Z storage space

Chantastic
02-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I figured a fair number of you have probably owned or own or at least have had experience with the G35 coupe or a 350Z. I am debating between the two currently, and each has their drawbacks but what I want people to pitch in on is each cars respective storage space.

The 350 is a hatch which is nice, but it's also got that big strut tower bar in the back. How much space is there from the top of that bar to the roof, say if you were to try and stow something long in there?

The G35 has the advantage of having rear seats for extra storage, but it isn't a hatch and from pictures I've seen, it really doesn't look like trunk space is that big at all. Is it relatively the same as the 350's? And with the folding rear seat, does it open it up wide or does it have a bar going across where the seat mounts up (similar to the 350's strut bar, but just a piece of the interior instead)?

Would anyone be willing to post a picture of an item or items in the trunk of either of these cars, and one as well of what the G35's trunk looks like with the rear seats folded? I tried looking online, I can only seem to find a picture with a laptop in the trunk of the Z, but it doesn't really give you too good a gauge of depth or how creative you can get with it.

I'm coming from an S13 hatch, which can swallow a whole bicycle if you needed to. Rear passenger room is reasonable as well, not as good as say an RSX, but decent. How are the G35 rear seats for passengers?

Thanks!

JordanAndrew
02-02-2012, 01:33 AM
350 has almost no storage from what I remember, so forget about storage in a 350Z. G35 has more storage if you're comparing the two. For passengers, G35 rear seats are ok at best, if you have tall friends, forget about it.

When I test drove the two cars, I enjoyed driving the 350 better than the G35, the G35 felt like a driving a boat and felt really heavy.

Test drive both and you'll see what I'm talking about.

gogreen
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
The storage space in the hatch area of the 350Z is severely limited by the chassis brace. The top of it sits just below the hatch glass, and the deck lid simultaneously slopes down and tapers in, so large boxy objects don't fit well. There is a decent amount of room for smaller objects and bags though, along with several cubbies for assorted stuff. The width is somewhat limited behind the brace, but I can still fit a bag containing two 10-ft lightstands in my Z.

It takes some careful maneuvering though. To give you an idea there's a decal on the underside of the hatch detailing how to load golf bags in!

The G35 coupe wheelbase is about 8" longer and the overall length is about 12" longer than the 350Z. The G coupe is also about 3" taller at the roofline as well (stock height, of course).

schocker
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
G35 has quite a bit of storage. Trunk opening to back seats is unobstructed but is not very large. Trunk is a fair size though but it is quite shallow. G35 seats fold flat down with the back of the seats resting at a slight angle, worked fine for snowboarding and what not. Golf clubs for example fit into the trunk no problem without folding the seats.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-02-2012, 05:29 PM
If you're asking the question, the G is already the answer.

FX35 has a little more space then both of the above,AWD G35 SUV :)

hash
02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Z is pretty impractical for sure. hard to take more than a suitcase in it.

Chantastic
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys. I was considering an S2000 at first but figured I carry way too much around to even consider one as a DD. I figured I may have been able to get away with stowing long items on top of the strut brace thing on the 350, but that sounds like a no go. This nice thing about an S13 hatch is you can fold the rear seats and there is nothing impeding super large items from going in.

Does anyone have a picture they can post of the G35's rear seats when folded? Or are there any of you who went from an S13 hatch to a G? I am also considering the G35 sedan, but I don't know if I'm ready for a sedan in this point of my life :)

97luder
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
yeah if your going to buy a z your not going to buy it for the room thats for sure

saying that i went on a camping trip last summer and got alot to fit in the rear
good size cooler, tent, mini bbq, huge tarp, blankets and pillows and bunch of other things stuffed in between
and a full passenger seat full of stuff which meant only 1 person in the car

the glove compartment is a good size and can fit lots in there
also if your in a pinch and need some extra room you can pop out the stock sub and it opens up a pretty big space
i was able to fit 42 beer, 14 mickys and 2 26s in that space

but all in all if you down to these 2 cars and are worried on space go for the g35, but your never gonna get a bike in the Z unsure on the G tho

schocker
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Does anyone have a picture they can post of the G35's rear seats when folded? Or are there any of you who went from an S13 hatch to a G? I am also considering the G35 sedan, but I don't know if I'm ready for a sedan in this point of my life :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/bomberman447/g35002.jpg
That is as close as I have. Seats fold flat, I could fit three tires in the back for example on top of the seats.

Chantastic
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the insight, luder. I guess you can get pretty creative with it, still doesn't sound like a good pic for me though simply because I tend to carry a lot of art supply stuff around :(

shocker, thanks for the pic that's great. On the top left there, is that a handle to unlock/fold the rear seats?

Anyone have experience with the sedan?

schocker
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
shocker, thanks for the pic that's great. On the top left there, is that a handle to unlock/fold the rear seats?

Ya, you pull it and then kind of punch the seats down :rofl:
You can see that the opening isn't very large though into the passenger compartment, for example though I fit a 40" tv in its box behind the front seats once with the back seats up.

Canucks3322
02-03-2012, 12:17 AM
I owned a 350Z Roadster for 6 months, one of the reasons I got rid of it was because I couldn't even go to Ikea to pick up a small chair lol...

I've now owned a G35 coupe for less than a week and I swear it fits as much stuff as my Nissan Juke...it fit all 4 18inch summer rims/tires easily and a few days ago I bought a bench press off kijiji, we took it all apart and fit all the pieces in my car including the Olympic spec barbell...it is noticeably slower than the Z though, a lot less torque :( and doesn't look as good imo than the Z and the G35 sedans UGHHH...they are ugly as hell, if you want a sedan with the 3.5 V6 get the Maxima or get a Murano.

CapnCrunch
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Sounds like it's minivan time. :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
02-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Having owned one and extensively driven the other, I'd have to say that neither car is great for storage, but the 350z is pretty useless in that respect. The only way I've made it work is with duffel bags as they contour around the sway bar. The G35 is better, but it still sucks. I had trouble fitting my golf set in the back without some careful maneuvering and I can't see two of them fitting in there with ease.

schocker
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
it is noticeably slower than the Z though, a lot less torque :(
Wat, it is not. Also 280hp/270tq seems to be quite close to 287/274

Originally posted by Weapon_R
I had trouble fitting my golf set in the back without some careful maneuvering and I can't see two of them fitting in there with ease.
They assume you don't use drivers, take those out and throw the bags in no problem an angle the drivers into the back corner. :rofl:

Chantastic
02-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Sounds like it's minivan time. :thumbsdow

Never.

I agree on the G35 sedans, they need ALOT of work to make them look good. The more I look at them, the more I wonder if it would be worth my time trying to make it look half decent. I guess I'm just tempted easily by RWD + practicality.

Redlined_8000
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
The G and the 350 have nearly the same engine.

I got a 298hp 260tq g35. It is alot more "soft" than what I and maybe you are use to. Both engine and suspension responce is somewhat dull, I found atleast.

However, I would much rather have the G over the 350. it is a few hundred lbs heavier, but the addition of the rear seats, trunk space, and such.... Its an alright car. I would say my G is slightly slower than a full bolt on civic si or rsx-s.

schocker
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

However, I would much rather have the G over the 350. it is a few hundred lbs heavier, but the addition of the rear seats, trunk space, and such.... Its an alright car.
That is my problem now, G37 vs 370Z :rofl:

Redlined_8000
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Test drive both, look up some reviews. You will find the one that you like more.

For ripping around the street = 370
For cruising around the street = g37

schocker
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Test drive both, look up some reviews. You will find the one that you like more.

For ripping around the street = 370
For cruising around the street = g37
Well I can keep my volvo to drive to the train so it is a hard choice as it would be a secondary vehicle. I think the extra space and trunk would be nice though.

msommers
02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Comparing a 350z, a 2 seater, vs a G35 which has 4 seats and a folding down rear and asking which one has more storage?! Really!!!

The G's storage isn't that bad long ways, it's the height. Long I could fit my bike in there taking the front wheel off but it was the height that killed it from actually happening. Where the speakers drop down and reduce clearance is right in the middle. Still, there is plenty of room in the back/trunk for the average person. As for 2 golf bags, there is even a picture to show you how to fit it in right on the trunk lid.

Chantastic
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
^ I was reading some reviews online and a lot of people said the G35 rear seat and trunk space was laughable, so I wondered if it was even worthwhile over the Z.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
It's a luxury sports coupe. It was never meant to compete for luggage capacity. It's better than the Camaro at least :P

schocker
02-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
It's a luxury sports coupe. It was never meant to compete for luggage capacity. It's better than the Camaro at least :P I lol'd so hard when I saw one with the trunk open. It looks spacious but nothing is going to fit into that opening :rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
It reads like you have been looking at photos of the cars online, are you too lazy to get to a dealership and have a real look? What a waste of time, you might not like the seats, or the lack of drink holders, etc. Look in person first and ask questions later, everything you are asking can be answered in five minutes at a dealer.

I am thinking of buying a coffee in the morning at Tim's, is the coffee good and what about the cups, are they large? Do the cups hold enough coffee? Compared to StarBucks, discuss please.

schocker
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
It reads like you have been looking at photos of the cars online, are you too lazy to get to a dealership and have a real look? What a waste of time, you might not like the seats, or the lack of drink holders, etc. Look in person first and ask questions later, everything you are asking can be answered in five minutes at a dealer.

I am thinking of buying a coffee in the morning at Tim's, is the coffee good and what about the cups, are they large? Do the cups hold enough coffee? Compared to StarBucks, discuss please.
I can confirm the G35 cup holders spill 99% of the time and are nearly behind you and tim hortons coffee is gross yet 100 people line up every morning in BP

Chantastic
02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Why the hell bother to read the thread then, let alone reply if you thought it would be a waste of time?

For your information, I am not even in town right now, and don't even have access to a car at the moment to even get a dealership. I am just researching, and looking for opinions from real owners. Go troll somewhere else.

shakalaka
02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I own a 350Z and the storage isn't great obviously. But it's not absolutely rubbish either. But comparing to g35, it should be a common sense thing.

If storage is your only concern go with the G.

CanmoreOrLess
02-07-2012, 10:45 PM

Why the hell bother to read the thread then, let alone reply if you thought it would be a waste of time?

For your information, I am not even in town right now, and don't even have access to a car at the moment to even get a dealership. I am just researching, and looking for opinions from real owners. Go troll somewhere else.

Are you in jail? Lay off the glue dude.

Canucks3322
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Just took apart my basic home gym last night and fit the entire thing in my G35 coupe....and still had more room to put more stuff on top....:thumbsup:

On the down side....it is very common for the trunk latch to fail...and fuck, I moved the gym into my gf's basement and a few hours later, trunk wouldn't open, no biggy though, I went through the backseat way and pulled the emergency latch down to open the trunk. I've been reading on G35 forums that's it's a poorly designed wiring that becomes disconnected over time.

Chantastic
02-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Just took apart my basic home gym last night and fit the entire thing in my G35 coupe....and still had more room to put more stuff on top....:thumbsup:

On the down side....it is very common for the trunk latch to fail...and fuck, I moved the gym into my gf's basement and a few hours later, trunk wouldn't open, no biggy though, I went through the backseat way and pulled the emergency latch down to open the trunk. I've been reading on G35 forums that's it's a poorly designed wiring that becomes disconnected over time.

Sounds like my 240, except the cable rotted through haha. Thanks for the input!