PDA

View Full Version : Barbados

interlude
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey guys/gals,

I am travelling to Barbados in April. Any recommendations on what to do while im there? Places to eat.. etc..

Looking to do some scuba diving there as well. Thanks all

DonJuan
02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I was just there in end of October and november. 2 weeks. I stayed at the Crane hotel which was amazing. Depending on where you stay, you may want a rental car, they are fairly cheap and well worth it. The island is very small and easy to drive on and 20mins is a long drive.

The sea town of Oistins has the best food. On a friday nights all the tourists show up and get good home food like Peas and rice, macaroni pie and salad with a choice of fish for $20bbd. I would eat there any day of the week and everyday you are hungry for a deal. Friday there has a show with local performers and such which is why there is usually a crowd. When you do go (and you must) eat at George or Pats, but honestly try all of em if you can, they all good and serve various versions of the same basic meal. Its delicious.

Food in general is expensive there, so if you are looking for a sit down meal, figure on spending $50 easy for a half decent meal but with great views, usally right on the beach. Stick to local beers and liquor as well. Mount Gay and Cockspur are sold in grocery stores and are very cheap and quality stuff. Stay away from the White rum IMO. As a Trini I wouldn`t be caught dead drinking Banks beer, but my Carib and Stag is plentiful as well.

The best restaurant on the island is Zen, at the Crane Hotel. It is a japanese fusion restaurant. But the view is spectatcular, and the food is not bad at all too. just take your wallet, cuz you are gonna be spending easily $100US+ each. Need reservations for non guests I think, all the restaurants at this hotel are extremely expensive for the quality and amount of food you get, but cest la vie.

Beside the Crane Hotel is a little place called the Crane Palms run by a frendly rasta man. He has 3 beer for $10bbd and excellent food for great prices. All the locals eat there.

Last thing. Chefette... Its like a combo of Mcdonalds and KFC. They are unique to Barbados. You can get just about anything you want there, and its pretty good. THE ICE CREAM IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Barbados is very VERY safe. I had no probs walking around anywhere at night or otherwise. I may avoid Bridgetown itself late at night, but that goes without saying. People are friendly and glad to help.

Enjoy your trip!

interlude
02-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
I was just there in end of October and november. 2 weeks. I stayed at the Crane hotel which was amazing. Depending on where you stay, you may want a rental car, they are fairly cheap and well worth it. The island is very small and easy to drive on and 20mins is a long drive.

The sea town of Oistins has the best food. On a friday nights all the tourists show up and get good home food like Peas and rice, macaroni pie and salad with a choice of fish for $20bbd. I would eat there any day of the week and everyday you are hungry for a deal. Friday there has a show with local performers and such which is why there is usually a crowd. When you do go (and you must) eat at George or Pats, but honestly try all of em if you can, they all good and serve various versions of the same basic meal. Its delicious.

Food in general is expensive there, so if you are looking for a sit down meal, figure on spending $50 easy for a half decent meal but with great views, usally right on the beach. Stick to local beers and liquor as well. Mount Gay and Cockspur are sold in grocery stores and are very cheap and quality stuff. Stay away from the White rum IMO. As a Trini I wouldn`t be caught dead drinking Banks beer, but my Carib and Stag is plentiful as well.

The best restaurant on the island is Zen, at the Crane Hotel. It is a japanese fusion restaurant. But the view is spectatcular, and the food is not bad at all too. just take your wallet, cuz you are gonna be spending easily $100US+ each. Need reservations for non guests I think, all the restaurants at this hotel are extremely expensive for the quality and amount of food you get, but cest la vie.

Beside the Crane Hotel is a little place called the Crane Palms run by a frendly rasta man. He has 3 beer for $10bbd and excellent food for great prices. All the locals eat there.

Last thing. Chefette... Its like a combo of Mcdonalds and KFC. They are unique to Barbados. You can get just about anything you want there, and its pretty good. THE ICE CREAM IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Barbados is very VERY safe. I had no probs walking around anywhere at night or otherwise. I may avoid Bridgetown itself late at night, but that goes without saying. People are friendly and glad to help.

Enjoy your trip!

THANKS SO MUCH!

We are actually staying at the Crane! I was debating if I should rent a car, looks like I will be renting it now!

Thanks again!

mago0
02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm heading down to Barbados in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes and give you my experience.

RawB8figure
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Stayed there 2 days before going to another island during Christmas, so don't have alot of info. If you want to try some good fast food try chicken chef awesome fried chicken, more of a once a month kind of meal. Walked through bridgetown and it was ok, but I think there are better spots on the island to hang out.

interlude
02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Stayed there 2 days before going to another island during Christmas, so don't have alot of info. If you want to try some good fast food try chicken chef awesome fried chicken, more of a once a month kind of meal. Walked through bridgetown and it was ok, but I think there are better spots on the island to hang out.

Do you think it will be worth it renting a car (like what DonJuan suggested)?

Ghettobaby
02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
It used to be that you didn't need a car, and could walk across the island in no time. Now with all the private bloody high roller shit happening, you need to walk around. Having a car is only useful to save time getting from one end to another, in the cities its more of a hassle. I just don't even worry about, take the bus from city to city (quite a thrilling ride, the way they drive), and then walk. Simple.

civicrider
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
i leave Friday for Barbados, i'll let you know how it is. Although i am going mostly to surf so my opinion may be a bit different. Im staying right in front of surfers point.

interlude
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
i leave Friday for Barbados, i'll let you know how it is. Although i am going mostly to surf so my opinion may be a bit different. Im staying right in front of surfers point.

SICK! Will you be scuba diving at all? Thats the one thing I will want to do. How is the surfing there? I havent gone since Hawaii 2010

JZS_147
02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Be sure to eat some shark and bake!

civicrider
02-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by interlude

SICK! Will you be scuba diving at all? Thats the one thing I will want to do. How is the surfing there? I havent gone since Hawaii 2010

I hope to do a few dives while I'm there, it actually has some great surf spots, soup bowls is Kelly Slater's (#1 surfer in the world) favorite spot. This time of year the waves are suppose to be really good so I hope that's the case.

interlude
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by civicrider

I hope to do a few dives while I'm there, it actually has some great surf spots, soup bowls is Kelly Slater's (#1 surfer in the world) favorite spot. This time of year the waves are suppose to be really good so I hope that's the case.

Im a beginner though, maybe I can take some lessons out there with the wife. Let me know of some good surf shops!

Swank
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I remember having a great time for drinks at Margarita Blue at the SW end of La Rambla, and I really enjoyed the Park Guell (Antoni Gaudi's park). Also check out the Sagrada Familia if you can, breathtaking if you ask me. Sure it's touristy stuff, but some things you just have to see.

civicrider
02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Swank
I remember having a great time for drinks at Margarita Blue at the SW end of La Rambla, and I really enjoyed the Park Guell (Antoni Gaudi's park). Also check out the Sagrada Familia if you can, breathtaking if you ask me. Sure it's touristy stuff, but some things you just have to see.

ummm not Barcelona Spain, Barbados........

Swank
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
:facepalm: I shouldn't leave the house for a while...sorry OP

civicrider
02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm staying down near oistons, it's pretty low key around here
I ended up renting a car it's deffinitly needed. Surfing is good, there's
A nice break called freights, good for beginner and intermediate surfers.
I have not done any diving or anythig yet, just surfing alll day.

interlude
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
bump, I am leaving in a week. Just wondering if I can get an update on those who were just there.

Thanks!

interlude
04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Leaving tomorrow, thanks to all the suggestions, I have made a list of things to do.

I am renting a car for the entire trip. The wife and I like to explore, so we will be driving all over the island.

I'm looking to do a day of diving, and will try to dive "the stav"