PDA

View Full Version : Basketball USA's 2012 Squad

sexualbanana
02-03-2012, 10:22 PM
The list of 20 finalists was released a few weeks ago. Curious to know who some of you think will make the 12-man 2012 squad.

Basketball USA Finalists (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012MOLYroster.html)

Here's my list:

Kobe
Wade
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Chris Bosh
Carmelo Anthony
Andre Iguodala
Lamarcus Aldridge

[GaGe]
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
C:
LaMarcus Aldrige
Dwight Howard

PF:
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Chris Bosh

SF:
Lebron James
Carmelo Anthony

SG:
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Kevin Durant

PG:
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul

flipstah
02-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Tyson Chandler
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Lamar Odom
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Russell Westbrook
Chris Paul
Andre Iguodala

Old Snake
02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
C: Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler

PF: Chris Bosh, Kevin Love

SF: Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony

SG: Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade

PG: Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Chauncey Billups

Starting Five: Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose

sexualbanana
02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Who do you think are the bubble players?

I think Carmelo is playing so bad this year that he could potentially play his way off the team.

Lamar's not having a good year at all, so I don't see that happening either.

Billups has a chance to make the team because he's shown an ability to play at the 2-spot as well which gives them some flexibility. The only problem is that makes them 3-deep in the guard spots. That's also why I've ruled out Gordon, Westbrook, and Williams.

JordanEG6
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Dwight Howard
LeMarcus Aldridge

Blake Griffin
Kevin Love

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony

Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Derrick Rose

Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Dwyane Wade

Melo isn't having a spectacular season, if he isn't on the team (unlikely), I'd move Durant to Small and have Billups play the 2.

hurrdurr
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Melo is down like 2.5-3PPG off his career average, so he's not having a terrible season, his rebounds are about on par plus his assists are up over 1/game on his career - I think he's doing alright although he may be forcing more shots...

[GaGe]
02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Can't believe so many people are taking Chandler over Aldrige!

holden
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Wow, nobody thinks D.Will is gonna make it? I think he's a shoe-in considering he was on the '08 team. Plus his size and shooting allow him to be a backup at SG behind Kobe and Wade.

I think you're gonna see the Beijing team all over again, except D.Rose takes J.Kidd's spot and Durant takes Tayshaun's spot.

Carlos Boozer and Michael Redd's spots are where things get interesting. The team is really thin up front, with only Dwight at center. If he goes down during the Olympics, the team is in real trouble. The drop off in talent after Dwight is huge (sorry Tyson) so they'll probably end up taking 2 PFs: Blake Griffin, Kevin Love or Lamarcus Aldridge. I think LA has the best ability to play center of those 3 and Blake has huge marketability.

PS. I should add that I think Bosh is also a guarantee. He played like the best big in '08 and is tight with Wade and Lebron.

brucebanner
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
C - Howard, Aldridge

PF - Bosh, Griffin, Love

SF - James, Durrant

SG - Bryant, Wade

PG - Rose, Paul, Billups

They are going to stockpile with bigs to deal with the Gasol brothers and Ibaka.

Regardless, the US will put together a team that should win it all.

sexualbanana
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Griffin's not good enough to play on the Olympic team just yet. Plus, with the way the international game tends to get played, a guy with Griffin's high-flying style (with no mid-range or post-game to back it up) could get hurt pretty easily.

Howard and Chandler are the only true centers on the list, but since Aldridge can play both forward spots I think Aldridge should make it over Chandler. Not to mention that a front court of Howard, Alrdridge, Bosh, and Love (with sprinklings of James at forward), that should be more than enough to take care of your rebounding and interior defense.

sputnik
02-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Do people actually care about Olympic basketball these days now that NBA players can compete?

I hope that they choke like they did in 2004.

Skyline_Addict
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Jeremy Lin! lol.

colinxx235
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Do people actually care about Olympic basketball these days now that NBA players can compete?

I hope that they choke like they did in 2004.

Only reason I enjoy it is for the fact that you get all the best american players together on one floor. Unlike the all-star game they actually give a shit

JordanEG6
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Griffin's not good enough to play on the Olympic team just yet. Plus, with the way the international game tends to get played, a guy with Griffin's high-flying style (with no mid-range or post-game to back it up) could get hurt pretty easily.

Howard and Chandler are the only true centers on the list, but since Aldridge can play both forward spots I think Aldridge should make it over Chandler. Not to mention that a front court of Howard, Alrdridge, Bosh, and Love (with sprinklings of James at forward), that should be more than enough to take care of your rebounding and interior defense.

True on all accounts I guess. I would scratch Griffin, put Aldridge at Forward with Chandler as back up for D12. Chandler has good lock down defense as well, which is essential.

sexualbanana
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
Melo is down like 2.5-3PPG off his career average, so he's not having a terrible season, his rebounds are about on par plus his assists are up over 1/game on his career - I think he's doing alright although he may be forcing more shots...

He's shooting <40% from the field, and south of 20% from the three. Granted, he isn't much better from 3-range for his career, but it's hard to believe that it could've gotten worse and still play for Team USA

4doorj
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Jeremy Lin! lol.
Sooooo crazy.

sexualbanana
02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Billups is likely out for the year

hurrdurr
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I know, that's so frustrating!

LongCity
02-10-2012, 12:17 AM
I like Westbrook a lot. He's very talented but his talent is too raw. His basketball IQ is pretty low considering he's a PG.

sexualbanana
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
I like Westbrook a lot. He's very talented but his talent is too raw. His basketball IQ is pretty low considering he's a PG.

I don't think he'll ever make the Olympic team because Paul and Rose are too good at the point, and they're roughly his age. Unless there's a severe drop off in play for one of them.

colinxx235
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
^

yah he's got a few years to wait. paul rose kobe wade are pretty damn solid at the guard. can't forget about rondo either.

i'm curious as to how wall/irving will develop at those positions

sexualbanana
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

yah he's got a few years to wait. paul rose kobe wade are pretty damn solid at the guard. can't forget about rondo either.

i'm curious as to how wall/irving will develop at those positions

Too many good, young point guards that I don't think we'll see anyone new in that position for Team USA for awhile.

The 2-spot is going to be interesting in the next few years because of Kobe's aging knees, these will likely be his last Olympics.

Also, Rondo will never be on Team USA because of conflicting reports. Either:
A) Team USA isn't a priority for Rondo, so he isn't willing to make the kind of commitment Basketball USA wants him to make; or
B) He quit himself off the roster in 2008 because he figured he was going to get cut, so he did it himself. Thus, he will never do it again.

sexualbanana
02-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Jeremy Lin! lol.

Maybe with Billups out, they'll add him. haha

jk

sexualbanana
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Anthony Davis and James Harden added as finalists. 20-man list of finalists is decimated by injury.

Who do you think will make it now?

JordanEG6
05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
In light of injuries and such...

Tyson Chandler
LeMarcus Aldridge

Chris Bosh
Kevin Love

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook**

Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Dwyane Wade

** Like stated, his Basketball IQ is relatively low and his turnover ratio is one of the highest in the league. But since, moving to NO, Eric Gordon hasn't been playing up to par as opposed to his Clipper years.

colinxx235
05-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Bosh is out,

why do you have durant at the guard position?

is aldridge out as well? I can't remember how long his surgery recovery was

if so i'd probably put bynum or noah at the second center, maybe even amare

holden
05-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Bosh is out,

why do you have durant at the guard position?

is aldridge out as well? I can't remember how long his surgery recovery was

if so i'd probably put bynum or noah at the second center, maybe even amare

Aldridge is out. Noah played for France so I don't think he's eligible to play for the US. Bynum said he won't play because he wants to concentrate on getting healty, he plans on having Kobe's knee procedure. Deron won't play until he's signed a new contract and free agency doesn't start until July.

Marsh
05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Rose has a torn ACL. He won't be playing basketball anywhere for 2012.