PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dirtbag steals bottles & cans?

Pages : [1] 2

Masked Bandit
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I was taking the Christmas lights off the house today when I realized that some douchenozzle has stolen three garbage bags full of recycling (bottles & cans) from us. It's around the corner of our house tucked under an overhang. You can't see this from the street at all so someone was going between the houses looking for this stuff. The same thing happened to my cousin last month in Evergreen (we're in Chaparral).

It's not the $25 - $30 that's the issue per se but we give that money to our kids. They are putting it all into a jar and saving up for spending money when we go on vacation (I know, first world problems, but two little kids don't see it that way). We're far enough out in the 'burbs & nowhere near a C-Train line so I know it wasn't some homeless dude so that leaves a handful of delinquent punk ass kids. Funny, when I was 14 if I wanted some cash, I just got a damn job.

The older I get the less I like teenagers.

:guns: :guns: :guns:

black13
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Doubt its even teenagers. I've seen an old asian guy in the NW, goes around at night on garbage day with a flashlight looking through blue bins.

Masked Bandit
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by black13
Doubt its even teenagers. I've an old asian guy in the NW, goes around at night on garbage day with a flashlight looking through blue bins.

Really? How hard up do you have to be for something like that?

And again, this stuff was hidden & tucked away. Nobody saw this stuff by accident. Just pisses me off!

max_boost
02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Yea homeless people digging through things in the middle of the night when lights are out probably. lol

Masked Bandit
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yea homeless people digging through things in the middle of the night when lights are out probably. lol

We're over an hour's walk from the closest C-Train station (I know, I've done it). The next thing South of us is Okotoks. No way this was a homeless dude. He would look SO out of place in deep suburbia some paranoid housewife would've called the cops in hysteria.

MrSector9
02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Doubt its even teenagers. I've an old asian guy in the NW, goes around at night on garbage day with a flashlight looking through blue bins.

same thing here in the SE, old asian guy roots through my blue bin/garbage can.
t

C_Dave45
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
It's not even homeless/vehicle-less people. There's a couple of older Asian people in the south that do this everyday. They know where people keep bottles (alleys, sheds, back yards, etc) and they go everywhere including dumpster diving in commercial areas. They probably make a good hundred bucks a day, easy, doing this. They're old, retired...perfect way to stay in shape and supplement their pension. :dunno:
Druggies and teenagers can't be bothered to do this. It's too much work. They just smash and rob vehicles for their income.

If you don't want stuff like that stolen...don't leave it outside. Simple.

ddduke
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
It's not even homeless/vehicle-less people. There's a couple of older Asian people in the south that do this everyday. They know where people keep bottles (alleys, sheds, back yards, etc) and they go everywhere including dumpster diving in commercial areas. They probably make a good hundred bucks a day, easy, doing this. They're old, retired...perfect way to stay in shape and supplement their pension. :dunno:
Druggies and teenagers can't be bothered to do this. It's too much work. They just smash and rob vehicles for their income.

If you don't want stuff like that stolen...don't leave it outside. Simple.

This. I used to come home between 4 and 6 am all the time when i lived in Cranston and would see Asian seniors going through people's shit daily.

FraserB
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
The two in Evergreen/ Bridlewood area are not even poor. The have a BMW SUV they use to go around and do this, they jacked the bottles from a friend's child's bottle drive for scouts last month.

euro_racer
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
here in evergreen iv'e seen the old asian lady going from bin to bin looking for the bottles.... she usually has a bike or a cart she strolls along with. i wonder how legal/illegal that is?

cam_wmh
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
stereotypes are built upon statistics.

masoncgy
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
People steal anything. Hell, when I was still living in Sandstone some Asian lady stole my wooden garbage bin for her place one day. I go out back and it's gone... look down the alley and it's sitting next to someone else's garage.

I knocked on her door and was like... "you stole my garbage bin?"

"Oh, sorry, I thought that was my yard back there."

Uhhh.

Yeah, she was seriously across the alley and 3-4 houses down.

Bitch.

schurchill39
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
God damn Asians :facepalm:

lauphman
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Same thing happened to me in the sudance area, we came home from camping and I had a few full garbage bags of cans and left them on the side of the house so I can go after work to the depot. When I came home they were gone.

tpurcell4
02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I guess if its outside its fair game? It's crazy how people jump at cans and bottles left outside. I know one year a friends kids were doing a bottle drive, so we put them out front in closed black plastic garbage bags while we were doing yard work, and when we went back out front someone had taken them all. Which was awkward a half hour later when the person came by to pick them up. And we managed to put together one small bag for them.

I guess there must be a lot of desperate people out there who need an extra $20 that badly.

ercchry
02-04-2012, 04:05 PM
my brother had an old retired Italian man steal his bottles a few times. he ended up giving my brother a jar of homemade tomato sauce as a gift :rofl:

Masked Bandit
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by tpurcell4
I guess if its outside its fair game? It's crazy how people jump at cans and bottles left outside. I know one year a friends kids were doing a bottle drive, so we put them out front in closed black plastic garbage bags while we were doing yard work, and when we went back out front someone had taken them all. Which was awkward a half hour later when the person came by to pick them up. And we managed to put together one small bag for them.

I guess there must be a lot of desperate people out there who need an extra $20 that badly.

Ya they were technically outside but it's not like you could see them from the sidewalk. They way the were tucked under an overhang most people could walk up the side of my house, right past these things and not even see that they were there.

lilmira
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
my brother had an old retired Italian man steal his bottles a few times. he ended up giving my brother a jar of homemade tomato sauce as a gift :rofl:

Special sauce eh

turbotrip
02-04-2012, 04:25 PM
i hear these goddam old asian folks pushing shopping carts up and down my street pretty often around 3am. they go around stealing people's bottles; and cant even be that broke if they live around here in the NW

K3RMiTdot
02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
i see this at work every day, bunch of asian trying to pick thru the garbage cans... but given its downtown id expect something like this. Its sort of annoying having to keep tellling them, No means no.

thrasher22
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Used to happen all the time at my old place in parkdale, eventually I just gave up and started leaving the bottles there so I didn't have to bother bringing them to the depot.

My friends in Brentwood caught an old asian lady going into their shed to steal bottles one day and had to yell at her to leave. Reading this thread I almost wonder if its mostly the same person haha.

01RedDX
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I've seen an old asian guy in the NW, goes around at night on garbage day with a flashlight looking through blue bins.

Originally posted by MrSector9
same thing here in the SE, old asian guy roots through my blue bin/garbage can.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
There's a couple of older Asian people in the south that do this everyday.

Originally posted by ddduke
I used to come home between 4 and 6 am all the time when i lived in Cranston and would see Asian seniors going through people's shit daily.

Originally posted by euro_racer
here in evergreen iv'e seen the old asian lady going from bin to bin looking for the bottles....

Originally posted by masoncgy
in Sandstone some Asian lady stole my wooden garbage bin for her place one day.

Originally posted by turbotrip
i hear these goddam old asian folks pushing shopping carts up and down my street pretty often around 3am.

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
i see this at work every day, bunch of asian trying to pick thru the garbage cans...

Why is there no spotted thread for this? I am going to pitch a reality show called "Asian Pickers."

Here is a couple of elusive Asian Pickers I spotted in Cougar Ridge:

BTfDJJeqiEA

dexlargo
02-04-2012, 05:24 PM
If the stuff is out in the recycling bin at the curb, I don't think it's illegal. There might be some bylaw about it, but it's not theft anyway, it's considered abandoned property.

People get arrested when they steal it out of backyards though. That's not abandoned property. Trick is catching them.

I know of one old white guy that got arrested for stealing bags of bottles out of people's backyards. He drove up and down alleys in his old beat-up car and raided yards.

01RedDX
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
If the stuff is out in the recycling bin at the curb, I don't think it's illegal. There might be some bylaw about it, but it's not theft anyway, it's considered abandoned property.

The only issue I can think of is discarded personal and financial documents, which increases risk of identity theft.

dirtsniffer
02-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I guess mask bandit got his answer lol!

CanmoreOrLess
02-04-2012, 06:02 PM
There is a guy (non asian....gasp!!!) in a newer van who comes down my alley about an hour before the recycle truck. He has a crew, they jump out and clear out all the bottles and cans from the bins.

When I lived in Victoria it was against the law to remove anything from the recycle bins as it was revenue to attempt to cover the operating costs of the recycle project. It would be the same in Calgary, these garbage rats are taking tax money from the city, the costs are only going to be covered by your taxes. I would be amazed if they are not breaking a law or two in stealing from the city.

max_boost
02-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
God damn Asians :facepalm: :werd:

CanmoreOrLess
02-04-2012, 06:05 PM

BTfDJJeqiEA [/B][/QUOTE]

Nice touch, love the asian flute music. I have $20 for you, simply place a racoon in the bin then record asian with new coonmask upon opening bin. Was it Family Guy where the racoon kept attacking his face?

Yes it was:
zjVFxOyX-_o

Clever
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I live right beside the Evergreen asian lady, yeah they're not poor. I don't think they have anything else better to do so they(her and the older man, maybe husband) walk all over and pick cans, I see them over by the YMCA and in Sundace, Chaparral is really not that far away. Also, in the summer they start really early.

max_boost
02-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Plus there's way more incentive now that bottle deposits doubled from $0.05 to $0.10. :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
This is timely.
Calgary Herald - Bottle Economy (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alleys+bottle+economy+blooms/6103438/story.html)

DEATH2000
02-05-2012, 01:19 AM
My wife used to live in Shawnessy and she had a 6+ ft fence in her backyard and her mom came home one day to an old asian lady on her DECK trying to steal bottles from their garbage. She let their 175lb Boxer/Lab out and she said she had never seen an old asian lady run that fast or scale a fence that quickly in her life! Needless to say, the lady was never seen near their house again...

Tezzating
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Its happened to me.. cans in garbage bags on the deck disappeared and they took my lawnmowers gascan with an inch of juice in the bottom of it.
Welcome to Red Deer.

bourge73
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
When I was in Panorama Hills a couple of old Asian ladies would go down every street going through everyones blue bins for cans and bottles. The FN bitches even had the nerve to walk into my driveway and go through my bins (before I put onto the curb) They acted like the didnt understand English when I went out to ask them WTF are you doing?

drtoohotty1
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I absolutely HATE the people who do this along with the random transients who cut through peoples yards forcing you guys to put locks on your back gates. People like me who have to come in your yards for work cant get in and it becomes a huge hassle :banghead: The worst is when they try and keep pace with me scouting your yard as i go in or asking me for change, I usually tell them to fuck off.

adidas
02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
We had someone come into our yard and take away a bag or 2 full of bottles. This was roughly a year ago, maybe more.

This past summer i saw 2 guys on bicycles going down the alley(computer room looks towards the back lane), and stop at a neighbors house across the street. The one guy went all tippy toed onto the back porch and attempt to steal some bags. I got out there, exchange some words, ended up being a dad and son team, the dad must of smoked crack for the past 10 years as he barley had any teeth left in his mouth.

Havent seen them come back since.

Xtrema
02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Ya they were technically outside but it's not like you could see them from the sidewalk. They way the were tucked under an overhang most people could walk up the side of my house, right past these things and not even see that they were there.

But are they close to your black/blue bins? That's what they are after now. Anything else close to it is just a bonus.

Old Asian lady seems to be the common theme. I used to know one when I take the bus to school. End up from 2nd hand info that she's quite well off and has 3 to 4 properties and son is a doctor. She's just not all there in the head.

msommers
02-05-2012, 11:31 PM
There used to be a homeless guy rooting through our bluebin to get the bottles. The problem was he wouldn't clean up the shit he threw on the ground to get at them. Now we end up leaving them organized beside it with a sign that says there are none in there. They take them and don't make a mess, works out ok.

At my place in North Haven, I saw some guy one morning going through the blue bin. He took the bottles/can and took them back to his F250 parked across the street. I couldn't believe it! Collecting bottles to pay for gas?!

adam c
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
i know this really good insurance broker who could probably help you out

Spoons
02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't see what the issue is for people taking them out of the blue bin?

I'm not going to lie, when I was in highschool I took Starbucks' bottles all the time for gas money.

arian_ma
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
I don't see what the issue is for people taking them out of the blue bin?

I'm not going to lie, when I was in highschool I took Starbucks' bottles all the time for gas money.
We pay taxes for the city to come pick the bottles up, city subsidizes the cost of the system by accounting the revenue from recycling bottles.

spikerS
02-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

We pay taxes for the city to come pick the bottles up, city subsidizes the cost of the system by accounting the revenue from recycling bottles.

If you believe that the city treats the recycling program as anything other than another revenue stream, I know of a legit nigerian prince trying to smuggle $42 million out of the country and willing to give you $2.5 Million of it for your bank account info to transfer it all to.

Spoons
02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by spikers

If you believe that the city treats the recycling program as anything other than another revenue stream, I know of a legit nigerian prince trying to smuggle $42 million out of the country and willing to give you $2.5 Million of it for your bank account info to transfer it all to.

Bingo.

If the bottles were bagged in my garage or beside my house (not in the blue bin), I swear I'll take your first born if you take them. But if they are in the blue bin, free game. As far as I'm concerned the blue bins are just a magical bottle/cardboard recepticle. I put them in, they disappear. Where they go is none of my concern.

Masked Bandit
02-09-2012, 09:12 AM
UPDATE!!!

It looks like Beyond was right...old Asians! I got up a little earlier than normal this morning and when I went downstairs I see someone across the street with a flashlight going through blue bins. It was an asian man & woman, looks to in their mid to late 60's or so. I'm watching them go down the street and then I see them go up someone's driveway and have a look in between two houses. So I get in my truck and catch up to them. I put the high beams on them and it doesn't even phase them, they keep looking in everyone's blue bin. Every couple of houses they find something and put it in their cart. Then, 5 feet in front of my truck they pull out a full garbage bag of bottles & cans. Well that's enough from me, I get out and start giving them the what for. And just like Beyonder's said, they pretend not to speak English "no engrish, no engrish, sorry, sorry". Ya, bullshit. They walk around my truck and start hitting the bins behind me!

If all I saw was them hitting the bins on the street that would be one thing but OBVIOUSLY they are the ones going in between the houses. The question now is do I throw out some bait and see what I catch? And if I do, what do I do about it?

Masked Bandit
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But are they close to your black/blue bins? That's what they are after now. Anything else close to it is just a bonus.

Not anywhere near the bins. The bins are in the garage until the night before pick up. The bins go on the street at the end of the driveway and the bags were tucked under an overhang that is behind the back of our front attached garage. So puts it about 60 feet or so back and around a corner AND under an overhang.

spikerS
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Dude, I had them up on my back deck, 3 bags, and then one day they just were gone.

I set out another bag as a trap, and waited, sure as shit, this Chinese lady, opened up my back gate, walked across my back yard, up the steps onto my back deck, and grabbed the bag of empties. At the point I came out my back door and tore a strip off her, and threatened to call the cops if she even so much as came down my back alley again.

Have not seen her since.

sputnik
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
55sjaEDJ65k

tnuc
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Funny story about old asians picking bottles.
Our highschool football team would always practice after school at the field (Deifenbaker is anyone knows it) and we would always see a team members dad picking bottles. Naturally kids made fun of him all the time, not me because he was a good friend. Long story short rumors went around how poor his family was blah blah blah. Turned out his dad owned some factory in china and had nothing better to do i guess? Buddy turns 16 and dad buys him a brand new M3 and motorcycle for his bday, instant highschool fame. Its funny because people dont realize that some of these old asians like that lol.

403Gemini
02-09-2012, 12:23 PM
My dad had about 25-30 bags wedged between his garage(detached) and his fence and tarped up completely out of sight, the only access was a gate that was on the opposite side of the garage. When he came back into town (he works out of town from time to time) he walked to the garage and noticed the tarp on the ground. Every single bag was gone.

He went around to the gate and it was unlatched, luckily not open. He wasnt angry that the bottles were taken (well, a bit miffed) but rather the fact that somebody went on his property without his permission, and also didn't latch the gate properly so his two dogs could have ran away if the wind blew it open.

Pretty sure them going through the blue bins is completely legal, but walking onto your property and taking it, even if it's outside, it is still your property so they are trespassing.

kenny
02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Haha, didn't realize you lived so close to me. I see these "scavengers" all the time. I don't mind if they go thru my recycling bin. I bag most of the refundable stuff for the bottle drive kids that come by anyway.

n1zm0
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
in the SSW here and there is a homeless man who goes through our blue bins, he even knows the garbage/recycling days of the surrounding areas i guess according to a conversation he had with my gf, he also knows that we dont throw out anything worth money but our neighbors do (shitty first time renter teenagers who i'm about to evict if their bs noise and garbage doesnt stop by end of March).

in mckenzie when i was living with my parents long ago, i saw 2 bums in a convoy with shopping carts full of cans on Mt Mckenzie Drive, basically in my experience not eldery asians but native/caucasian homeless who must've taken the bus down or something, stolen a cart and raided suburbias garbage bags lol

also at my gfs parents place in fairview, bums scour their alleys and even go into their fken yards looking for cans, but that's more believable because of its proximity to Chinook station.

so it seems maybe that real homeless people mostly snoop communities with close LRT access and elderly asians in every other part of Calgary?

CapnCrunch
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd rather have seniors rifling through my bins than homeless people.

01RedDX
02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Haha, didn't realize you lived so close to me.

I want my cans back Kenny!

Yea we both moved from the same building in Garrison to the same block in Cougar Ridge at about the same time... haha

Xtrema
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by tnuc
Funny story about old asians picking bottles.
Our highschool football team would always practice after school at the field (Deifenbaker is anyone knows it) and we would always see a team members dad picking bottles. Naturally kids made fun of him all the time, not me because he was a good friend. Long story short rumors went around how poor his family was blah blah blah. Turned out his dad owned some factory in china and had nothing better to do i guess? Buddy turns 16 and dad buys him a brand new M3 and motorcycle for his bday, instant highschool fame. Its funny because people dont realize that some of these old asians like that lol.

Another Dief alumni here. We were going to some programming competition @ MRC lead by our computer class teacher.

He drove us there and I shit you not, he was picking bottles and cans out of every trash can on the way in.

Being a FOB, I didn't think much of it, just kinda weird.

bignerd
02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
UPDATE!!!

If all I saw was them hitting the bins on the street that would be one thing but OBVIOUSLY they are the ones going in between the houses. The question now is do I throw out some bait and see what I catch? And if I do, what do I do about it?

I would, obviously they need a good scaring to learn that they can't just remove belongings from your property, whether it is cans, garbage etc...

Funny that there was a letter to the editor about this in the Herald the other day. The person was complaining about someone stealing bottles from her yard that had been collected for her daughters brownies or something similar. I thought it was timely.

We keep our empties in the garage, however did have one bag on the side of the main step going up to our front door. Sure enough it went missing one day. Like you said, don't care about the blue bin (don't put anything of value in it anyhow) but my yard is a different story.

JudasJimmy
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Q. What's the difference between a harley and a hoover?

swak
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
To be honest, sometimes id almost rather someone steal my bottles weekly than bringing them in (its often more of a pain for $40 than its worth)...

Thus, whenever theres a bottle drive in my area, the kids usually get a dece donation.

JudasJimmy
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
A. the location of the dirtbag

gram
02-09-2012, 07:36 PM
OP:

Have you thought of putting a pad lock on your gate if this is such an issue?

:)

lilmira
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't it be funny to lure them away and steal the mother lode that they have been collecting?

They are still old people though :rolleyes: .

Masked Bandit
02-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Wouldn't it be funny to lure them away and steal the mother lode that they have been collecting?

They are still old people though :rolleyes: .

I'm not that hard up...lol.

Besides, it was Mama trolling for cans and Papa was pullin' the cart. I can't be robbing an old guy.

Z_Fan
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Used to have a guy who'd drive around my old neighborhood. He'd park his Toyota (often illegally BTW) - then get out and walk up and down the alleys looking for goodies.

Didn't think much of it, until I saw him pissing on my neighbors fence. So I told him to get lost. He says he's just picking up garbage. I tell him even if that is all he is doing that that's actually illegal. Anyhow, he leaves. I see him the very next week. Same parking place.

Did the idiot think I fucking moved a week later? Moron.

Anyhow, thread just reminded me of the McKenzie Towne Looter.

Offspring22
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I've had bottles go missing from my yard as well when I used to live in Castleridge. Also, I was reroofing my garage one July day with a buddy, taking a short break and I hear my dog barking at someone. I look down, and there's this middle aged white woman in my yard picking up the water bottles we were tossing over the side while working. She looks up, says something "oh, do you mind if I take these?" Told her I suppose you need them more than I do. She didn't look homeless by any means.

Takes all kinds of folks....

codetrap
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I've had this happen to me before. Someone stole 2 bags of cans from beside the house behind a closed gate. To me, it's not the value of the bottles/can's they're stealing, it's the fact that they're stealing from me. I use that money to top up my daughters RESP.

And just like Beyonder's said, they pretend not to speak English "no engrish, no engrish, sorry, sorry". Ya, bullshit. They walk around my truck and start hitting the bins behind me!
I bet they'll speak engrish just fine if you run over their cart with your truck and then start loading the bottles into your truck.. just say "no parley-vou anglais" when they start yelling at you.

Masked Bandit
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I wasn't going to bump this old thread but since someone else already did..........

On the news last night (Global) there was a story about people going around and jacking bottles & cans from peoples back yards. Not from the street or anything but actually going into someone's yard ans snooping around. I guess it happens more often than I thought.

ercchry
04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
i am hoping someone will come take mine out of the back of the truck before i get around to taking them back... 2 days now and no luck, i will probably have to return them myself :rofl:

G-ZUS
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i am hoping someone will come take mine out of the back of the truck before i get around to taking them back... 2 days now and no luck, i will probably have to return them myself :rofl:

Where's your truck parked :poosie:

ercchry
04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
on my street... but it has a topper which i think might be locked... but im sure these crafty pickers could get around that

03ozwhip
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
this has happened to me twice while living in calgary, 2 different places. my bottles are my eating out fund for the month so it pisses me off that i cant eat my mcdoubles for the next month lol

StinkyMahoney
09-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I did a google search and found this thread after someone took my cans Sunday morning. It happened about 6:20am in the North West. I had my windows open and heard the noise but must have woken up just as the person was leaving. I listened for more and heard nothing but I got up anyway (I have two big dogs) and released the hounds. The big bag was gone and my locked back gate was open.

Somehow they pushed the latch off the post. Sparing you all details they would have had to know the cans were there as there is quite a walk in pitch black to my back door where I had the bag. I credit their "ballsy" move as one of my dogs would have gone mental and it's clear from my backyard dogs live at the house.

I felt a little violated that someone did that but reading here I guess it's fairly common. Also I'd rather they took the cans than did anything to my dog(s)

powerslave
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by StinkyMahoney
I did a google search and found this thread

Awww... and here I was hoping it was the OP bumping the thread letting us know that the cans stolen in February have been safely returned.

StinkyMahoney
09-24-2012, 12:17 PM
LOL....well played

BokCh0y
09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Native guy on a bike that goes around the Douglasdale/glen area. Seen him going through the blue bins and riding around the area with a ton of cans in bags.

We keep ours all in the basement.

dj_rice
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I was victim to this today BUT it wasn't stolen from my house. It was stolen from my bottle collection box underneath my desk. It was either my co-worker or the cleaning staff.............I had like $3 of bottles saved up. :banghead: :guns:

DboyNismo
09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
happened to me once at home in cgy when i had a party and left a bag of cans outside.

however here in edmonton i saw an elderly asian woman picking bottles and cans out of the garbage while walking back to rez on campus. she had those big apple bags which they give you when you purchase an iMac... 3 of them. and an iphone...so why the fuck do you need those cans. jesus

btimbit
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Chased 3 messed up natives away from work the other day for this. We keep all our empty liquor bottles in a locked shed next to the dumpsters in the back, and these guys wanted the bottles so bad that one cut his hand up quite severely on the nails and chicken wire that are part of the shed.

DEATH2000
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Im waiting for someone to scare these guys off with a shotgun or similair. You know they wont be coming back anytime soon. I know people willing to do it, but they live in areas that bottle pickers dont frequent.

ZenOps
09-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Just going to babble about this one:

I'm pretty sure that the blue box program is operating at a significant loss.

Work out the numbers for yourself, if there was no "deposit" on aluminum cans, Aluminum goes for about 90 cents per pound. Scrap aluminum goes for even less, about 60 cents per pound. Each empty pop can is about 17 grams, meaning that you would need about 27 empty popcans to be worth about 60 cents.

Now factor in the cost of fuel, wear and tear on vehicle and paid hours for a worker to come and pick up the cans...

Its a prime candidate for the absurdity of "consume your way to prosperity". In many ways, I would tend to side with the old peeps, it is *not* something anyone should be expending fuel on to keep running.

But with the deposit, they can turn that popcan or plastic bottle in for 5 cents or 1/100th a pound of nickel, which has been as high as $23 per pound ($1.60 per ounce)

Maybe the greater side benefit is the cleaner streets.

Asian metal hoarders FTW.

FraserB
09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
You do realize that the program is also being funded through the sale of other recyclables and a fee on your monthly utility bill right?

calgaryrally88
09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
In our community it's always 2-3 dirty Asian seniors who looks they haven't bathed in months. I always make sure to tell them to fuck off and get lost.

speedog
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by DboyNismo
happened to me once at home in cgy when i had a party and left a bag of cans outside.

however here in edmonton i saw an elderly asian woman picking bottles and cans out of the garbage while walking back to rez on campus. she had those big apple bags which they give you when you purchase an iMac... 3 of them. and an iphone...so why the fuck do you need those cans. jesus
WHy? I knew of this old retired white guy in Hillhurst who in his spare time (and he had lost of it) would cruise the back alleys on his bicycle/trailer and collect bottles/cans. Over the years, he collected enough to buy each of his three grandchildren a new economy car (read low end Japanese econobox) - yeah, nothing fancy but hey, the three cars cost him nothing but his spare time and he got some exercise out the whole deal as a bit of a extra bonus.

DboyNismo
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by speedog

WHy? I knew of this old retired white guy in Hillhurst who in his spare time (and he had lost of it) would cruise the back alleys on his bicycle/trailer and collect bottles/cans. Over the years, he collected enough to buy each of his three grandchildren a new economy car (read low end Japanese econobox) - yeah, nothing fancy but hey, the three cars cost him nothing but his spare time and he got some exercise out the whole deal as a bit of a extra bonus.

alright well you have a point there. but i dunno. it just seemed ironic.

Recca168
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Just happened to me this weekend. I leave cans in a garbage bin on my deck. Was going to take them to the depot Saturday. Opened the lid and it was fucking empty!!!!

ZenOps
09-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I would think that if its on the curb, its fair game. You were going to get rid of it anyhow.

The condo complex I'm in has an unwritten rule, if its in the community garbage bin, its fair game - but it also fair game if its "beside" the garbage bin. A lot of people throw out their patio furniture when moving and/or upgrading their outdoor set. It won't fit in the bin, and costs more money to haul it to the garbage depot.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/Landfill-information/Landfill-Rates.aspx

The worst is if you have to throw away an old freezer. Not only are you charged a minimum $15 you also get tacked with an extra $15 whether or not you removed the refridgerant.

Its a way to make a few extra bucks I guess. We can't all be paid to sleep while listening to someones request for clean drinking water afterall *cough* Rob Anders *cough*.

ddduke
09-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by calgaryrally88
In our community it's always 2-3 dirty Asian seniors who looks they haven't bathed in months. I always make sure to tell them to fuck off and get lost.

off topic, but thank you to which ever mod finally dealt with this guy.

Tik-Tok
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I would think that if its on the curb, its fair game. You were going to get rid of it anyhow.

If it's in your bluebin, it's property of the City of Calgary, and not "fairgame". That being said, once again you completely missed the point of the thread. Most people who have replied here have had their cans stolen from their back yards, not their curbs.

ZenOps
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If it's in your bluebin, it's property of the City of Calgary, and not "fairgame". That being said, once again you completely missed the point of the thread. Most people who have replied here have had their cans stolen from their back yards, not their curbs.

Its pretty grey to me. Is it right to take more than four pennies from the take a penny leave a penny tray?

I had my bike stolen from a C-train stop - I did not use one of their bombshelter like bike containers, and instead stupidly used an old chain lock. Is that slightly my fault? Probably. Would the city of Calgary reimburse me for the loss of the bike? Hell no. Would the city of Calgary reimburse me for the loss of the bike inside the bombshelter like container, hell no.

By encouraging the bluebox program, I believe that people are encouraging waste (trucks, gasoline, etc.) which arguably was doing absolutely fine with bottle pickers (Bottle pickers actually needing or wanting the income, and doing it at NO EXPENSE to the taxpayer)

I respect bottle pickers far more than the massive gasoline waste of these trucks. I triply respect the girl and boy scouts when they do a bottle pickup.

Call it the asian way of thinking, at $100 barrel oil - vehicles are mostly wastes of money for many many activities that would have been considered beneficial 40 years ago (when oil was $3.60 per barrel)

Tik-Tok
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps

I respect bottle pickers far more than the massive gasoline waste of these trucks. I triply respect the girl and boy scouts when they do a bottle pickup.

I don't. Every year those fuckers leave their little note on the door asking for bottle drive donations, so I leave several garbage bags of cans/bottle, and they NEVER, NOT ONCE, have ever picked them up in 8 years of living in this house.

hampstor
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
bumping an old thread.

I was reminded of this thread after seeing an old asian guy with 3-4 full garbage bags tied to the back of his bicycle. I see this guy regularly - about once a week riding by my house and everytime he's got a 3-4 full bags. I presume he's heading upto the bottle depot in spy hill because he goes up towards sherwood form Kincora.

Masked Bandit
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
To update some info posted earlier, a family member living in Evergreen has now been hit twice in the past year. He was keeping the bags at the back of the house, no way it can be seen from the street. Someone is going into his yard.

lilmira
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Considering how close we are from a bottle depot, I don't remember seeing any stranger lurking around with bags of cans/bottles. May be the dogs in the neighbourhood scare them away.

SJW
02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
To update some info posted earlier, a family member living in Evergreen has now been hit twice in the past year. He was keeping the bags at the back of the house, no way it can be seen from the street. Someone is going into his yard.

Time to set up a trap. Scooby Doo style.

woodywoodford
02-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I don't. Every year those fuckers leave their little note on the door asking for bottle drive donations, so I leave several garbage bags of cans/bottle, and they NEVER, NOT ONCE, have ever picked them up in 8 years of living in this house.

I've had this same experience myself. Last year we had a pretty decent house party on the Friday, the bottle drive was on Sunday and we had the note to leave them in the front for pickup. There was probably $100+ of empties in those bags, and nobody picked them up. At least in my current dive-y neighborhood the bottle thieves are reliable enough to show up.

LollerBrader
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
(I know, first world problems, but two little kids don't see it that way).

Great opportunity here to teach your kids about thankfulness for what they have by contrasting it with what others don't.

J-D
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Time to set up a trap. Scooby Doo style.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Wolfsgrube.JPG/270px-Wolfsgrube.JPG

Just cover with sticks and leaves :bigpimp:

My neighbor in the SE recently had someone break into their backyard and steal a couple of bags of bottles. I've seen some older asians as well as some natives with shopping carts going around the blue-bins.

summerlove.xo
02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
It's happened to our house in the NW. We also keep the bags of bottles in our backyard.. Kinda creepy to think someone goes and checks people's backyards to steal a couple bags of bottles. We keep it in the garage now.

MrSector9
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
someone went into our garden shed and took like 6 bags.. i was planning using that money to go to bolero..... those bastards

Unknown303
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by MrSector9
someone went into our garden shed and took like 6 bags.. i was planning using that money to go to bolero..... those bastards

That would break my heart. Boleros = :drool: :drool: :drool:

cancer man
02-20-2013, 07:45 AM
All i know is when you feed the bears they always come back.
Bottle/can pickers are habitual.

403Gemini
02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Pretty sad when you need a lock on your backyard gate... didn't realize we're turning into South Africa. Had a buddy who lived there and said if you left your garden hose out for more than 10 minutes, it was gone.

Thing that just angers the piss out of me about them coming on people's property is I see them leaving gates open and my community has a bunch of dogs. You can bet the morning after recycling day I drive down my alley and see a few gates open. I chatted to a few of my neighbours and they said it's not them leaving it open, so I make sure to close them when I leave in the morning. :thumbsdow