PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Bike?

GreyFox
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
So here's a long story told short, and any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Did a half ironman last summer. Did ALL the training (except for a few days in the gym on the stationary bike) on my youth mountain bike bought from crappy tire about 10 years ago. Rented a road bike for the race itself and everything worked out pretty OK.

Obviously there is a massive different to the feel, pedal cycle, posture and pretty much everything when you compare a $200 youth mountain bike to an actual Tri-Bike.

Entered into the full ironman this year and decided that would just be crazy to do what I did last year. So gotta pick up a Tri-Bike.

Went to Speed Theory today and he showed me a couple different options. I don't really want to spend more than about 2k so he showed my last years model of the FELT B16 (http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/TT-TRI/TT-TRI-Series/B16-.aspx) and some other one from ARGON 18.

Anybody have any input regarding these brands or specific models? Good bang for your buck or am I looking in all the wrong places?

I've literally ridden a road or a tri bike one day in my entire life (that day for the half ironman) and I know squat about them so like I mentioned above, any input would be greatly appreciated!

swak
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
If you're only going to do one TT/yr I wouldn't say a full on TT bike is necessary. You could just get a road race bike and set it up aggressive.
TT/Tri bikes don't start really that cheap (that, and speed theory is a boutique'y shop). Check out Bow, or Eurotech for some dece bikes in your price range

CLiVE
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
A good entry level tri bike might be the Kestrel Talon Tri. Good bang for your buck.

Or get a good road bike, and add the Profile Design Fast Forward seat post, and some aero bars for now. The road bike would be better for group rides, and long training rides initially.....

GreyFox
02-13-2012, 02:10 PM
So I've still been looking over the past few weeks. Checked out bow cycle and the dude said do NOT get a tri bike as I'll never really get to use it for other stuff. I didn't realize that it was really really frowned upon to use a tri bike for group rides and what not.

So while I understand that a tri-bike is not as versatile as a road bike, and that a road bike can certainly be used to complete a triathlon.... we're not just talking a random triathlon here or there...this is the iron man. So if a tri-bike is set up to save your legs for the run (which it is), I think it's a safer bet to train this year with a tri-bike, do the iron man and then if I want to continue road riding, I can always sell that tri-bike and use that money to buy a road bike afterwards.

Does this idea make sense? I guess if anybody could provide any input on how easy/difficult it is to sell a tri-bike here in Calgary, that input would be greatly appreciated.

To give you some ideas as to the type of bike, it's the FELT B16. Full carbon frame and Shimano Ulteggra components. Easy to sell after this riding season or at the start of next?

98type_r
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
The whole "save your legs for the run" is a bit of a myth. The main difference between a road and tri/TT bike is a the seat angle and the ability to get low and aerodynamic on the bars. Most people can achieve the same fit by sliding their seat forward, or using a zero setback seatpost if necessary.

Ultimately it depends on where and when you're going to be riding this bike. If you plan on training solo on long straight roads/highways then a tri bike isn't an issue as long as you pay attention to what's in front of you. A pothole or other unsuspecting obstable can toss you if you're unprepared/inexperienced while in the aero position.

You shouldn't have any problem selling a decent bike in Calgary, there are tons of triathletes and people who are just getting into the sport. Might take a few weeks, but at a reasonable price it'll move.

swak
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
You'd definitely be the joke if you came on a group ride with a tt bike...

Get what you want though. If you're gonna compete on a "competitive level" then it may be more useful for you... If you're gonna compete on a "I'm here to have fun, and hopefully place well" (which most triatheletes are) then buy a road bike.

GreyFox
02-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah, certainly not competing on a professional level. I could care less if I'm able to shave off 3 or 4 minutes from my time.

98type_r, you're right when you say a TT bike is built more for aerodynamics, but what I've heard is that the seat angle/height and all that stuff that is a little different compared to the road bikes, also allows you to use different muscles in your legs that aren't used as much while running. So (I think this is right) you use your hamstrings more on a tri bike and save your quads a little more for the run.

And yeah, I wouldn't be worried if I couldn't sell it the week after I'm done. I can wait until spring of 2013 if I really wanted to as I'm obviously not doing any riding during the winter.

JRSC00LUDE
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
The good thing about speed theory, if you go for tri bike, is they are FIST certified. That's a real plus when fitting a bike properly.

swak
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by GreyFox
is a little different compared to the road bikes, also allows you to use different muscles in your legs that aren't used as much while running. So (I think this is right) you use your hamstrings more on a tri bike and save your quads a little more for the run.

Nope

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
The good thing about speed theory, if you go for tri bike, is they are FIST certified. That's a real plus when fitting a bike properly.

... and i stand by this. STheory is great, Trev is amazing! But i personally got my fit done at Bow and my bikes feel amazing.
The staff at bow are specialized trained in fit.. So up there with the FIST cert. Just to trow out a few options for you.

bigboom
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
don't forget about speed matrix for fitting either. they use the retul system and adam is great to deal with there.

Khyron
02-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Get a tri-bike. Unless you think you'll take up racing in a peleton/crit, no one cares.

I did ALL my commuting and training and racing on a Cervelo P2SL that was about 1600 (from speed theory) which is comparable to any decent new road bike. Carbon for a tri-bike is over-rated as well, though most have gone down that path now.

The point of the tri bike is mainly that you can shift in aero. Clip-ons are a pain in the ass.

Age grouper or pro, you're spending a year and a LOT of money so you're not going to want to leave a ton of time on the table. Wheel cover, used dish front, a goofy aero helmet and some good tires and you're off the bike 10-15 mins quicker.

See if anyone has any P1's left, or start looking used. Tons of dudes upgrading.